Volin: Rashad and J. Jerry Get Pay Bumps | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Volin: Rashad and J. Jerry Get Pay Bumps

Vaark

The Intra-Dimensional Felinians R Coming 2 Save Us
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2013/01/31/miami-dolphins-notebook-john-jerry-reshad-jones-get-raises-for-2013-dolphins-add-new-special-teams-coach/
1. S Reshad Jones, RG John Jerry earn pay bumps for 2013.
No one played more for the Dolphins in 2012 than Jones and Jerry, a couple of third-year players who earned full-time starting roles for the first time. Jerry, who started all 16 games at right guard, led all Dolphins’ offensive players with 1,053 snaps played out of a possible 1,057, while Jones was on the field for 1,140 of 1,146.

And the two will be rewarded with a nice pay increase for 2013, as per guidelines outlined in the new CBA. Scheduled to make $630,000 this year, the final year of their initial rookie contracts, Jerry and Jones will both earn more than double that next season, with base salaries of $1.323 million, according to NFLPA records.

Jones, a 2010 fifth-round pick out of Georgia, has developed into one of the Dolphins’ best defensive players, and may receive a long-term contract extension this offseason. Jones led the Dolphins with four interceptions, and added two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, a sack and nine passes defended while starting all 16 games.
Jerry, meanwhile, got his weight under control after reporting to training camp 30 pounds overweight at 360 and played well last year, allowing just two sacks in 16 games.

“I was proud of John,” GM Jeff Ireland said last week at the Senior Bowl. “John didn’t have a great training camp, and so he was kind of working to catch up a little bit. If John comes back in good shape and I think start where he left off, he’s got a real good opportunity. So I think John still has a big arrow up on his future.”

Paying Jones is a no brainer... looks like Jerry is gaining some traction with the coaching staff and FO.

Jerry actually played well this year. He just needs to keep the weight off and play consistent. If he plays good next year he might be worth keeping.

I'm not excited about this. I'd rather lock Reshad Jones up to a long term contract, as he's made me a believer. I guess this is a good start though.

John Jerry is not a good RG. I don't know what metric Ireland is looking at, but watching the games his play was poor. He has physical ability, but he doesn't play football at a high level. If this is an attempt to lock him up a bit at a relatively low salary just in case we hit the lottery and he becomes the player his physical ability suggests (after several years of being a lazy putz) then I'm fine with it. But if this is some sort of indication that his play was acceptable and that he is in our long term plans ... this exhasperates me. We're a football team, not a track and field team ... the guy has had several years and several coaches that have all led to him being a lazy physical specimen who doesn't play the game of football well. Ugh.

Remember about 3 years ago when Soliai put all his weight problems behind him and came to camp in top shape? Then got a big pay day and kept it up? That's what we need from Jerry. This is make or break offseason for Jerry. He needs to come to camp in top shape and put his lazy reputation, going back to his first 3 years of college, behind him. Grow up Jerry and be a professional once and for all.

I'm not excited about this. I'd rather lock Reshad Jones up to a long term contract, as he's made me a believer. I guess this is a good start though.

John Jerry is not a good RG. I don't know what metric Ireland is looking at, but watching the games his play was poor. He has physical ability, but he doesn't play football at a high level. If this is an attempt to lock him up a bit at a relatively low salary just in case we hit the lottery and he becomes the player his physical ability suggests (after several years of being a lazy putz) then I'm fine with it. But if this is some sort of indication that his play was acceptable and that he is in our long term plans ... this exhasperates me. We're a football team, not a track and field team ... the guy has had several years and several coaches that have all led to him being a lazy physical specimen who doesn't play the game of football well. Ugh.

Sounds like you are saying you are not happy they are getting a raise. This is all part of the new CBA. Jerry and Reshad are both free agents next year, they are just getting a raise b/c of how much they played and the level of their play in relation to their contract.

I think Jim Turner deserves a lot of credit for getting Jerry to be a solid 16 game starter after where he was at the beginning of Training Camp.

I'm happy for both of them. Many have taken shots in the past at Jones, Jerry, Clemons, Misi, etc, etc. Sometimes patience is a good thing. :)

Sounds like you are saying you are not happy they are getting a raise. This is all part of the new CBA. Jerry and Reshad are both free agents next year, they are just getting a raise b/c of how much they played and the level of their play in relation to their contract.

Yeah, I guess I didn't state that the best way. The CBA mandated pay increases isn't what I'm not happy about ... that simply is what it is. But, with Jones I was hoping to hear more and preferrably to hear that he was locked down for the long term ... which I didn't hear at all.

With Jerry I heard positive comments about from Ireland, which I guess is nothing more than typical GM-speak. But my hope is that we are aiming higher than Jerry's play. I'd have rather heard more of the "long way to go" or "he's just beginning to tap his potential, but if he wants to be here long term then he needs to raise his play a couple of notches" or something like that.

My initial reaction was that it sounded like we were trying to lowball Jones and praise Jerry for his poor level of play last year. I probably could have worded it differently though, you're right.

Glad to see Jerry doing well. Hope he can keep it up.

Jones is an absolute baller and is currently in negotiations with the Phins for an extension.

Really happy for Jones but I wanna lock him up he is becoming a favorite of mine rather quickly

good rule for the players union but sucks for us in that it'll make extending Jones a little more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom