Welcome to the FinHeaven Salary Cap Forum | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Welcome to the FinHeaven Salary Cap Forum

Why would Thompson's savings 825k instead of 850k? Where does the extra 25k come from?

Why is Jay's cap dead money 3.720 mil? It appears he had an initial 3mil bonus when he signed that contract. If the option bonus is not paid would his cap hit not be 1.8 mil? I understand if I have his bonus wrong it would be more.

I don't research the bonuses as much as some. (I don't have near the time to do so)

During the off-season, the Top 51 rule applies. That rule states that the "top 51 cap charges plus all bonuses of those players not within the top 51 count vs cap"

Right now, the 52nd highest cap charge is $305,000

Thus, if one player is released or traded, this amount needs to be added back into the cap. If a player is signed and is part of the top 51 cap charges, this amount needs to be subtracted.

The column on the cap page that lists "Cap Savings Before 6/1" has been edited for your viewing pleasure ;) It includes the $305,000 adjustment but this column only applies if 1 player is released.

Changes made to first post

Following changes will be made once Muck gets his happy arse up :D

1) WR Sam Simmons: he was released during his rookie season, thus his signing bonus applies to 2002 & 2003 cap yrs. $20,000 removed. This number was wrong anyhoo, it should have been $29,833 if it were still applicable. I should have caught this much sooner :shakeno:

2) WR Derrius Thompson: his $400,000 roster bonus was guaranteed, thus it's now treated as a signing bonus and amortizaed at $200,000/season. saves $200,000

3) QB Fiedler: changed amortization to $1,112,500. His initial signing bonus was $3 million. He also had a $1.25 million roster bonus in 2003 that was guaranteed(the 2003 Mare restructure gives enough credence to this). Thus, it was amortizaed at $312,500/season. 800,000 + 312,500= 1,112,500

4) LB Z. Thomas: it's apparent that his $4.5 million roster bonus will be guaranteed. Amortized at $900,000/season. Still likely that much of his $2.845 million salary will be guaranteed as well. When it happens, I'll make that changesaves $3.6 million

5) OL Dixon: his cap savings column should be $161,667

6) DL Jay Williams: his salary is now listed as 660K. Did he do a simple restructure or did he have an option payment? At this point, I do not have that info. His cap number will likely be higher once this info is available

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Changes made to first post

Following changes will be made once Muck gets his happy arse up :D

2) WR Derrius Thompson: his $400,000 roster bonus was guaranteed, thus it's now treated as a signing bonus and amortizaed at $200,000/season. saves $200,000

Are you making this change based on what an Agent reportedly said or some paid for service is reporting said was done???

3) QB Fiedler: changed amortization to $1,112,500. His initial signing bonus was $3 million. He also had a $1.25 million roster bonus in 2003 that was guaranteed(the 2003 Mare restructure gives enough credence to this). Thus, it was amortizaed at $312,500/season. 800,000 + 312,500= 1,112,500

Which is the mistake the $3 million???
4/5=8 :)
Mare gives credence to the $1.25 million roster bonus???

When it happens, I'll make that change saves $3.6 million

I definitely agree, when it happens.

6) DL Jay Williams: his salary is now listed as 660K. Did he do a simple restructure or did he have an option payment? At this point, I do not have that info. His cap number will likely be higher once this info is available

I was kidding when I said it might be an option payment since we don't agree on the treatment of some option payments. :D

I suspect that the Thompson thing will go through. If I need to change it, then I'll change it. By incorporating it, I can also show how it will affect the cap situation ;) I also do not suspect that Miami will release both McKnight and Thompson. You would have Chambers and who?

Mare did a simple restructure during the 2003 season. The cap savings was about $600,000(not worried about exact). It is my suspicion that Miami guaranteed Fiedler's roster bonus to clear cap space before 2003 League Year began. It's a difference of about $900,000(again, exact numbers not needed to explain). The fact that Miami needed to do the simple restructure to find cap space for injury replacements during the season gives me enough info to believe that they guaranteed it, otherwise, my numbers would have them over the cap even with the Mare restructure. Again, if this is wrong, I can easily correct it but it does make sense as Miami has shown the willingness to follow this methodology.

Bledsoe's $7 million option doesn't count vs Bills cap until exercised. Roster bonuses count, some option payments/bonuses don't until exercised. Why it is that some bonuses are delayed for cap purposes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
I suspect that the Thompson thing will go through. If I need to change it, then I'll change it. By incorporating it, I can also show how it will affect the cap situation ;) I also do not suspect that Miami will release both McKnight and Thompson. You would have Chambers and who?

Not to beat a dead horse but with that reasoning then you should show every player with a pre-season roster bonus as pro-rated to show the effect. Thomas too. ???

Mare did a simple restructure during the 2003 season. The cap savings was about $600,000(not worried about exact). It is my suspicion that Miami guaranteed his roster bonus to clear cap space before 2003 League Year began. It's a difference of about $900,000(again, exact numbers not needed to explain). The fact that Miami needed to do the simple restructure to find cap space for injury replacements during the season gives me enough info to believe that they guaranteed it, otherwise, my numbers would have them over the cap even with the Mare restructure. Again, if this is wrong, I can easily correct it but it does make sense as Miami has shown the willingness to follow this methodology.

Mare's comment was part of the Fiedler comment so I still don't understand the relevance. :confused:
Mare was restructed in October 2003.

Bledsoe's $7 million option doesn't count vs Bills cap until exercised. Roster bonuses count, some option payments/bonuses don't until exercised. Why it is that some bonuses are delayed for cap purposes?

I am sure we would have to get into many individually and ask Adam for precise contract details.

Remember the side letter I quoted that a roster bonus may be considered NLTBE???

Just curious why you are so sure that Bledsoe's option should not be included in Team Salary until exercised. Didn't he already have an option picked up???

Excellent job clump. Impressed and appreciative of all the work you put in. Have a question about some future info. I know Miami has to make room available for any resticted FA by 3/3 but when does Miami have to make room for players in the rookie draft pool? Also, how much does a team usually set aside for injury & practice squad players?

Sorry, I just noticed this question.

Rookie draft pool: If I understand your question, you are asking about the rookie cap. Each team is alloted a "rookie pool" that they can utilize to sign their drafted players. Signing bonuses of undrafted rookies also count vs. rookie pool. The rookie pool is not available until after the draft because it is based upon no. of picks, rds and positions of those picks. Once the amount of the rookie pool is determined, the teams have that much space to sign the players. One thing, the rookie pool has commonly been to referred to as "a cap within a cap". It is not separate from the overall cap.

Usually teams like to set aside enough cap space to sign 2 or 3 players. Approx. $1 million.

Practice squad counts vs cap. Last year, to have a full PS each week, it was approx. $400,000

No problem, thanks for getting back to me.

After the Vikes "pass" last year (by their or the Raven's mistake) do you think we could see more of this from small market teams trying to save money? Also, many owner's despise paying rookies so much guaranteed money...owner tell's the GM if you're not 150% sure this guy's gonna get me my money's worth let's slide down a few spots, save a couple million and use that cap space on a proven free agent. Assuming no one will trade down with them.

I know it's annoying speculation but that's what the offseason drives us to.

So what's the new updated cap figure with Madison restructuring & the recent signings?

I hope you're not slipping on us Clump :)

Back
Top Bottom