Were a good team that just cant find a way to close in the 2nd half | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Were a good team that just cant find a way to close in the 2nd half

The conservative approach to winning games has been with us ever since the Marino era closed.
From Wannstedt to Saban to Cameron to Sparano this team thinks winning by 3 points is awesome. I can't remember the last time we actually pounded an opponent and won by 30+ points.

^^ This * 10000.

The fanboy overoptimism in this thread is sickening. Here's reality: we're not a good team and we haven't been since Dan Marino was our quarterback. Anybody who professes otherwise is drinking the Jeff Ireland/Cam Cameron/Nick Satan/Dave Wannstache/Jimmy Johnson cool-aid. They need to go watch game film of the 1972 squad and see what a good team actually looks like. I doubt if today's team could come within 20 points of beating that team.

Nobody is debating that comparison. This team is playing winning football in the first half in most of the games. The 72 team is a team of the ages.
For Debbie Downers like you, who just come out of the woodwork like a fattened termite to complain, this team has made some progress. Whether the current staff and some of it's players are holding the team back is the discussion that has merit. Frankly I point to the GM. He is the limiting factor in this team rise. The coaches need to do a better job too. The way we collapse in the 2nd half is indicative of coaching. IMHO.
Since the team and the coaches are built by the GM, he is the problem.

That's overly simplistic. Bad teams are teams that are devoid of talent and are rarely competitive i.e Jaguars. The Dolphins right now are an average team. There is no need to capitalize your opinion of the team, its pretty obvious how you feel.

You have no clue how I feel. After watching the Dolphins hire Joe Philbin and draft Tannehill for the first time in about a decade I had some small reason for hope. This was balanced with the knowledge that Jeff Ireland would find a way to screw things up like he has the entire time he had been here, but at least I had some hope. Now that hope is gone. Philbin has turned out to be a huge disappointment, with little knowledge of how to run an offense and no ability to make adjustments during a game. Ireland wasted at least a gazillion dollars of salary cap to leave us with a defense that can't stop the run when it matters, an average receiving corp, and the worst offensive line in the history of the franchise. I am angry that Steven Ross does not have the ability or inclination to fix this disaster. I despair that the careers of Cameron Wake, Paul Solai, and Ryan Tannehill will be wasted just like the careers of Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor were wasted. And it disgusts me that once again we are faced with a situation where the best result we expect is an 8-8 record and a twenty point trouncing in the first round of the playoffs. What happened to the proud franchise that won two superbowls in the 1970's and was always a threat to go deep into the playoffs in the 1980's and early 1990's? How much more of this maddening mediocrity will we be forced to endure before someone in this front office stumbles into a set of decisions that will make the difference and turn this franchise around?

So, does 15 years of mediocrity equal bad team? You're damn right it does.

Nobody is debating that comparison. This team is playing winning football in the first half in most of the games. The 72 team is a team of the ages.
For Debbie Downers like you, who just come out of the woodwork like a fattened termite to complain, this team has made some progress. Whether the current staff and some of it's players are holding the team back is the discussion that has merit. Frankly I point to the GM. He is the limiting factor in this team rise. The coaches need to do a better job too. The way we collapse in the 2nd half is indicative of coaching. IMHO.
Since the team and the coaches are built by the GM, he is the problem.

The 72 team is the standard of excellence against which all Dolphins franchises should be measured. That was a good team. No team since Marino was here has come close.

I agree with you that Jeff Ireland's tenure as GM is currently responsible for sustaining the mediocrity. Unfortunately, I have seen nothing from Steven Ross to make me believe he sees the problem. And until he understands the problem we are doomed to years and year of continued maddening mediocrity. God save us from this disaster. God save Ryan Tannehill, Cameron Wake and Paul Solai from the wasted careers that Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor were force to endure.

In our first 3 game wins it seems it was the opposite we were a 2nd half team when we out scored our opponent.

Back
Top Bottom