What does the "No wedge" rule mean for Ted Ginn and our return game? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What does the "No wedge" rule mean for Ted Ginn and our return game?

I don't like the new rule because the wedge and the wdge-buster were the most violent parts of football and if football all of a sudden becomes tame, its not so fun anymore.

From a player's standpoint, I am glad that injuries are being prevented. From a lower-tier player, they may have just lost out on a job because they were the crazy mother****ers that volunteered to be the wedge buster (by far, the most violent position in football).

I always wanted to try busting the wedge at least once but being that I'm a 270 lb. NT, its unlikely I will ever be able to do it.

Football is not suddenly going to become a tame game. There's plenty of violence to go around -- serious injuries could happen on any play. This just is at attempt to manage the situation most blatantly at risk, imo.

You have to look at the effect of steroids [cough, we all know they're not being used, lol] and body-building techniques, the behind the scenes growth of the game [the unspoken underbelly of all modern sports]. Now it's not unheard of to have 260+ pound players running under 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 and on the kickoff team. Wedges fed into that, without question, but years ago you wouldn't have had the situation.

It's pure physics and the human body can only stand so much.

That's the physical part of it. The game implications of this change might well favor Ginn in the early going of the season. It's going to take teams awhile to adjust to the new rules and if this gives any breakdown or crease to Ginn he'll take advantage of it, imo.

If he's indeed back there on kickoffs. As sexy as kickoff returns are, Ginn is FAR more valuable to this team in the role he plays as leading WR, forcing teams to respect the vertical. All other underneath WRs feed off of Ginn.

LD

I wonder if kicking teams will start aligning players in a manner to trick the receiving team into a penalty.

Sounded to me like alot of teams will be going man coverage on kickoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8104d93c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Should we expect to see Ginn explode this year?

I have a real good feeling he takes back 4 atleast! If anyone can devise a plan to exploit that we got the guys up top to do that...and ted showed what he can do in his rookie season taking back 3 with one of the worst teams in NFL history.

A wedge is designed to help THE RETURN TEAM, not the kicking team..

If you dont undrestand what the wedge was, i completely understand the reason for your post. If you do understand what the wedge is, why is there even a question asking if Ginn would explode?

The wedge is normally the biggest guys on special teams blocking upfield (normally fullbacks and OL). They create a wedge by running together, hand in hand, in a wedge shape, up the middle of the field, returner behind them) to block those on the kicking team. The play causes alot of injuries (and IMO too bad, dont play a brutal sport of yor not willing to get hurt); unfortunately, the competition committee and Goodell wants to turn tackle football into flag football.

lol, and you can't tackle a player that doesn't have the ball, that would be a penalty. It would be kind of funny to see like 8 differen't people get tackled on one play though.

you can be tackled if you pretended to carry the ball.

did miami run a wedge KR last year? i know most NFL teams don't use wedges any more and prefer man blocking.

the rule is a good rule

Back
Top Bottom