What is to become of Daniel Thomas? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is to become of Daniel Thomas?

It's the NFL. You need depth, especially at the RB position. Look at Dallas last year. DeMarco Murray was third on the depth chart and finished as the lead horse. Guys get banged up, guys get hot, etc. I feel good about the fact that for the first time in a LONG time we have a semblance of quality depth at many positions, notably QB and RB. If Garrard pans out. . .Ireland is building for short term and long, as he should.

Honestly, my biggest concern is with the pass rush. When Olivier Vernon tweaked his ankle last week, I had no idea where they were going to turn. Westerman seems to be getting to the QB in camp, which is nice, but think about it. We need to put some heat on the Brady's of the world or we are just automatically putting two L's in the that column for the forseeable future. Our secondary, this moment, isn't looking like a coverage-sack machine.

He looked really good when I saw him at camp.....made a nice break on a pass for 30-yd gain. Was finding good running lanes, too. He has a quick cut and wasn't afraid to take a hit.

Daniel Thomas isn't the odd man out unless he gets outcompeted by Messam.  Jonas Gray is injured, otherwise he would provide competition at the "big back" spot as well.  IMHO, DT is safe for this season and will have a chance to show what he can do in a zone blocking scheme.

Where the real logjam is at is the speed/big play back, where you've got Bush, Miller, Slaton, and Thigpen.  You have to figure Bush and Miller are locks.  But it sounds like the staff really likes Slaton in the WCO and if you listen to Congemi's practice report/discussion from today, Thigpen is a really speedy guy who has stood out and who they're trying to figure out roles for (e.g. slot receiver).  There are a lot of potential playmakers in that backfield, and while I don't like the idea of DT taking a RB spot from someone who can really be a weapon, his role as a big back or thumper is essential.  Only problem is he didn't do too well in that role last season...he was putrid at the goal line.  Perhaps Messam could beat him out and then yes, he might end up on the block, but I haven't heard much about Messam thus far.

He should improve from last season, but do you want the guy taking carries away from Bush/Miller if it's not short yardage?

Daniel Thomas isn't the odd man out unless he gets outcompeted by Messam. Jonas Gray is injured, otherwise he would provide competition at the "big back" spot as well. IMHO, DT is safe for this season and will have a chance to show what he can do in a zone blocking scheme.

Where the real logjam is at is the speed/big play back, where you've got Bush, Miller, Slaton, and Thigpen. You have to figure Bush and Miller are locks. But it sounds like the staff really likes Slaton in the WCO and if you listen to Congemi's practice report/discussion from today, Thigpen is a really speedy guy who has stood out and who they're trying to figure out roles for (e.g. slot receiver). There are a lot of potential playmakers in that backfield, and while I don't like the idea of DT taking a RB spot from someone who can really be a weapon, his role as a big back or thumper is essential. Only problem is he didn't do too well in that role last season...he was putrid at the goal line. Perhaps Messam could beat him out and then yes, he might end up on the block, but I haven't heard much about Messam thus far.

He should improve from last season, but do you want the guy taking carries away from Bush/Miller if it's not short yardage?

Thigpen will likely end up in competition for just a couple of roster spots. Will the fins keep the extra WR, extra TE or extra RB or FB?? Whoever flashes the most talent and the most ready to play will probably stick and factor into deciding how many players we keep at those positions. Special Teams play will factor in too.
Gray will get stashed on the PUP or IR(whatever list)..lucky for us and him. Thigpen will probably show enough to end up on the PS.

Daniel Thomas = Lorenzo Booker. Never going to amount to anything.

Cant wait for preseason..

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Daniel Thomas isn't the odd man out unless he gets outcompeted by Messam. Jonas Gray is injured, otherwise he would provide competition at the "big back" spot as well. IMHO, DT is safe for this season and will have a chance to show what he can do in a zone blocking scheme.

Where the real logjam is at is the speed/big play back, where you've got Bush, Miller, Slaton, and Thigpen. You have to figure Bush and Miller are locks. But it sounds like the staff really likes Slaton in the WCO and if you listen to Congemi's practice report/discussion from today, Thigpen is a really speedy guy who has stood out and who they're trying to figure out roles for (e.g. slot receiver). There are a lot of potential playmakers in that backfield, and while I don't like the idea of DT taking a RB spot from someone who can really be a weapon, his role as a big back or thumper is essential. Only problem is he didn't do too well in that role last season...he was putrid at the goal line. Perhaps Messam could beat him out and then yes, he might end up on the block, but I haven't heard much about Messam thus far.

Thigpen is really a KR/WR and there is a logjam at WR

Back
Top Bottom