What made you a Dolphin Fan? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What made you a Dolphin Fan?

When I was 8, my dad took me to the Dolphins VS Pheonix Cardinal game. I remember when Marino hit Duper, Duper hurdled over a defender into the endzone. The song that the whole NFL hates (Dolphins fight Song) was heard for the first time. Been die hard ever since.

I was hooked in 85' when they beat the Bears. The only reason I was rooting for them was to get the room full of Bears fans riled. After they won, I began to look into their history and fell in love with the team, the coaches, the stars ( such as marino, Csonka, the MArks Brothers, etc.) and each year followed more and more closely. Now I am diseased by the Dolphins. I can't get enough information in the off season, and I allow Sundays to be dictated by when and where they play, and I would have it no other way.

Fan since the beginning...

Born and reared in South Florida. Began watching the old AFL games as a young teen - found it more exciting than the old NFL games. That was when the AFL announced plans to form a team in Miami with this guy named Joe Robbie, along with Danny Thomas and a few others - and I was hooked. I read everything, mostly the Miami Herald and Palm Beach Times (then), and listened to the very first game on AM 790, I think it was. Been following them ever since then.

when i was a kid around the age of 10 my dad was a huge dolphins fan and I remember watching marinos long bombs to duper and clayton... from then on i rarely missed a game and have been a die hard since..

I started getting into football when I was 7 (around 1991)... I really liked watching Miami's mad passing attack. But also I liked the great defense, I thought John Offerdahl and Bryan Cox were bad-***. Also I liked the colors! :)

My dad made me a fin fan that is who he was rooting for when my brother asked. Funny thing is was he was just rooting for them since his team was out of the playoffs. Or else i could have been a bengal fan. LOL

pigskinguy said:
I hate to make it so simple but for me two words......Dan Marino.

Same here. Growing up my older brother was into football, playing it, watching it, everything. And he was a big Sanfransisco/ Jerry Rice fan. And one day when i was young and we were starting a tournament on Sega I think it was, he told me I should pick the Dolphins, and the rest is history.

I think I have a good story on that.

For me it's actually kinda silly. You see the football game I ever saw was the 1985 Super Bowl. I was 6 at the time and since in my country football is not that popular I didn't understand a lot of it. My father being a Niners fan was watching the game and started explaining to me how the game was played. For some reason which I didn't understand then everyone was talking about a "Sailor" in the game. (Marino means sailor in spanish and I didn't know english back then being six and all.). So I decided to cheer for this sailor who happened to be so popular. Of course midway through the game I was sent to bed and the dolphins I belive were winning. So I went to bed thinking that they actually won the game and so ever since I've been a dolphins fan. I found out they lost the game (quite bad may I add) Some years later. So I'm a fan through ignorance and inocense.

Basically in every single sport my favorite team is the one I first watched play. For some weird reason it always ends up being the one who ended up loosing. (My first baseball game was a 1982 world series game in which the brewers won so needles to say I didn't get a very good deal there)

My dad was born and raised in Miami. He was about 11 when they became a franchise. He and my mom married the same year the Fins went undefeated. They used to go to all the games in the Orange Bowl. I just remember sitting on the coach with him and he'd jump and scream when something good happened. I didn't even know what was going on but I'd get so excited.
Anyways..I was about 8 when the Fins went to the Super Bowl against the 49ers. The whole city was electric. After that I really started paying attention and learning the game with my dad. Funniest moment was a game against the Jets in '86. My dad had one of those projection TVs. He got so pissed at one point that he took his shoe off and chucked it at the TV. It went right through the screen. (Don't worry...he was never like that with us...only inanimate objects HAHA)
So yeah....just grew up a boy pulling for his hometown team. I'm a total homer.....Even though I live in a different city now.

Oh yeah...I grew up during the Marino & Marks Brothers era. That sure didn't hurt!

I live in Denver and growing up here with everyone worshipping John Elway just made me sick. I became a fan of Marino because he was somewhat Elway's nemisis, although they only played three games against each other in their careers. If Marino had the offense that Elway had in the two super bowl wins, he would have taken them undefeated!!!

my best friend in second grade liked the Dolphins. I cant remember why either. But I was hooked after that.

I have lived nearly all my life in Miami- 34 years this month. Dolphin blood runs in my veins since I was knee high. The Dolphins have always been, and will always be, my one-and-only team!

Like many others, Dan Marino is the reasons, they also happened to be playing in the first game I ever watched. Great times since.

Back
Top Bottom