What Players from this Draft End up Being Elite? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Players from this Draft End up Being Elite?

Seemingly devoid of OL. A huge need for Miami. Maybe I missed earlier posts.
I hear you, but were talking about extraordinary careers. I personally would take a couple average to good careers at offensive line. I like the initial list of 14 players, I'm thinking we should be able to land 2-3 of those players realistically, especially with a little help from other franchises needs.

There is one variable that accounts for a high percentage of first round busts at wide receiver. The NFL ignores that historically the ideal height for that position is 5-11 to 6-1. That shows up basically regardless of what criteria you look at. Yet the league continually falls in love with taller guys and rationalizes that this time it will be different. Well, it will be different in certain cases. You'll hit huge. But I have no idea how they can be surprised when so many of the taller receivers follow the historical norm of not panning out, guys like Charles Rogers or Kevin White or Laquon Treadwell, and I could keep going and going.

It will happen in this crop also. Jeudy at only 6-1 is probably advantaged not disadvantaged. It sort of reminds me of LPGA golf in which 5-6 height is overwhelmingly the most favorable range in terms of enough physical power but also short enough to have a repetitive swing. The much taller more powerful girls show up and are hyped far beyond the 5-6 types but most of them have erratic disappointing careers.
Who was that tall receiver from USC we drafted and turned out to slow it was out of the league in a few years? I believe he was a third rounder, but I'm not sure. How quickly the names become irrelevant…

Young has bust written all over him. At least, in the sense that he never lives up to the hype.
'
I do not like the fact that some hearsay he takes plays off. A true stud on the edge has a motor that never lets up.

Who was that tall receiver from USC we drafted and turned out to slow it was out of the league in a few years? I believe he was a third rounder, but I'm not sure. How quickly the names become irrelevant…

Patrick Turner. Ran routes like a school bus in and out of breaks.

I do not like the fact that some hearsay he takes plays off. A true stud on the edge has a motor that never lets up.

Watched him a few times do that and during the playoffs he did it alot. Some tried to say, "Well he was doubled teamed so..."
What the hell do you think is going to happen at the next level?
You think the Bosa brothers, the Watt brothers etc don't get doubled teamed?

Buyer beware with that player...

Watched him a few times do that and during the playoffs he did it alot. Some tried to say, "Well he was doubled teamed so..."
What the hell do you think is going to happen at the next level?
You think the Bosa brothers, the Watt brothers etc don't get doubled teamed?

Buyer beware with that player...

Believe it or not Chase Young has actually improved in that aspect. He has long been notorious for coming to a flatfooted halt when the play is aimed away from him. It is very well known in Buckeye circles. When I was driving through Columbus a couple of months ago and listened to the Ohio State flagship station for an hour or so one of the callers made a joking reference to it. The hosts responded similarly.

I can't say I remember a play where he could have salvaged matters. It just looks bad because you see everyone else hustling while he's standing there. I saw him do it numerous times in the playoff game but not as bad as earlier in the season. There was even one play I expected him to stand around but instead he hesitated briefly then got going and nearly was a factor.

IMO, this is what is going on: Chase Young is accustomed to being a star and making splash plays. Guys like that don't like to be seen in a subordinate role. It's like a prima donna basketball player who waits for the next 3 point opportunity instead of diving for the loose ball.

I like the player. I keep going back to defenders who were truly great in college, again using names like Lawrence Taylor or Hugh Green, and Ted Hendricks from my youth. He never loafed like that. The Stork did exactly the opposite. He would stand up the runner, rip the ball away, and start running in the opposite direction until the referee called him back saying the whistle had blown. That happened several times per game.

Chase young I don’t think will ever live up to the hype that was created by his peers and the media and I don’t even fault him for that.

I credit CK for being one of the few around here to not succumb to the young hype at its peak. Very, very good player. But he’s neither one of the bosas or even close imo.

and none of this is to say he can’t be a top leveldefender in the NFL at some point. The next coming of Julius peppers stuff is what I’mknocking down.

Yeah, that was Patrick Turner, as Slimm mentioned. He was good on slants at USC but not nimble enough to do much else.

The big receiver from USC who busted was Mike Williams. I was wrong about him. It was prior to when I realized that height could be a detriment. I drove from Las Vegas and attended many USC games during that great Pete Carroll era. The other USC players treated Williams like a god. He was easily the most revered player on the sideline, above Leinart or Bush. I thought it had to translate to the NFL. But I remember a poster here named KB21 was insisting that Williams was too slow for receiver and projected better to tight end.

Anyway, while watching the NFL playoffs it was glaring that you need guys who can create their own shot, to use a basketball term. The Chiefs are like a college spread team not because the plays are similar but because Mahomes ad libs so well and then the skill guys are so fast and can take it in any direction. I don't think anything stood out from the weekend more than the incredible gap in athletic ability between Mark Andrews of the Ravens and Travis Kelce of the Chiefs. Mahomes is better than Jackson to begin with. Jackson is asked to do comparatively far too much on his own, due to the Chiefs finding helpers while the Ravens have not understood the necessity. Now they will.

I don't know how anyone can watch those games and want to draft a defensive end. Even if JC Watts had been in his absolute prime it barely would have mattered. Maybe a play here and there.

I'm thrilled I witnessed the run oriented era. I wish the sport had never evolved away from that. Heck, I wish the forward pass had never been legalized. The passing game bores the heck out of me, just like basketball games with nothing but outside shooting bore the heck out of me. But it's silly not to recognize where we are. The teams with mobile elite quarterbacks offer that long long window of relevancy near the top. Then you hope one year it's your turn.

Believe it or not Chase Young has actually improved in that aspect. He has long been notorious for coming to a flatfooted halt when the play is aimed away from him. It is very well known in Buckeye circles. When I was driving through Columbus a couple of months ago and listened to the Ohio State flagship station for an hour or so one of the callers made a joking reference to it. The hosts responded similarly.

I can't say I remember a play where he could have salvaged matters. It just looks bad because you see everyone else hustling while he's standing there. I saw him do it numerous times in the playoff game but not as bad as earlier in the season. There was even one play I expected him to stand around but instead he hesitated briefly then got going and nearly was a factor.

IMO, this is what is going on: Chase Young is accustomed to being a star and making splash plays. Guys like that don't like to be seen in a subordinate role. It's like a prima donna basketball player who waits for the next 3 point opportunity instead of diving for the loose ball.

I like the player. I keep going back to defenders who were truly great in college, again using names like Lawrence Taylor or Hugh Green, and Ted Hendricks from my youth. He never loafed like that. The Stork did exactly the opposite. He would stand up the runner, rip the ball away, and start running in the opposite direction until the referee called him back saying the whistle had blown. That happened several times per game.

Simple question, is he the best, must have, defensive player in this entire draft?

Last edited:
He might end up there, but he's starting from behind - as an Off LB/SS, who isn't elite in man coverage the way Derwin James was at FSU.

That's fine and i'm willing to bet he has a more impactful pro-career that your other 3 candidates.
Just watch what he does tonight and compare it to Young's recent performance on the big stage.

Back
Top Bottom