What to do with Jake Long?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin_Frenzy_84, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

After this season should we resign him or let him walk?

Also if you guys were GM who would you resign out of all of our free agents?

2. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

If he doesn't recover I think we might just have to let him go if he won't take a pay cut. The plus is we will probably have enough money to sign a number 1 WR from FA if we let him go but this guy was the number 1 pick and a perennial pro bowler but has been dropping for quite a while now from injuries.

3. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

First Id make him get a haircut and turn that ****ing hat around.

After that Id offer him a 3-4 year deal at above average LT money. If he dosent want it......... later bro.

Resign Hartline, Starks, and S Smith for sure.

4. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

Let em walk and kick martin to LT. We cant lock up joe thomas type money on him he is breaking down, spend the $ on playmakers.

5. Show Me Your TDs

Show Me Your TDs My head's on Fire!

Unfortunately he will probably walk after this season. His play has been average at best and I'm not sure he fits the mold of an athletic zone blocking Tackle in Philbin's offense. Special players fit any system but the eyeball doesn't lie.....he is not a cut blocker. Lets hope Martin keeps developing. Its always good to have a backup plan.

6. bcrock

bcrock Member

Let him walk...unless he agrees to a reasonable contract.

7. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

If he isn't in the future plans, I would much rather get something for him than just let him walk. Maybe a tag and trade?

8. PJack

PJack A True Fan

Just can't imagine him taking that kind of money. At his best, he's been elite. Unfortunately, I don't think we've seen that for a while now since he's been banged up (shoulder, knee, etc) in the last couple years. I think at 27 he likely thinks he is or can get back to elite and demand that type of money.

If we want to keep him, we may franchise him one year to see his body comes around, but that rarely seems to happen in the NFL for linemen. No way I sign him long term elite LT money when we have such big needs at play making positions at WR, C, S, and TE.

9. edaniel1717

edaniel1717 Well-Known Member

tag or re-sign him.... unless you want the fins drafting a LT in the first round .....

10. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

He deserves top tier money. Re-sign your own. Finding LT's are hard to do. Plus, remember he is playing hurt. He easily could have sat with his numerous injuries, but each and every week he suits up and plays hard.

I would do a deal with him. Tag Smith. Attempt to re-sign Hartline and Starks. Bush I would let play the market.

11. edaniel1717

edaniel1717 Well-Known Member

agree....100%

12. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Sign him.

13. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Of "COURSE" re-sign him. Wow. If we don't come to an agreement he's getting tagged. Long ain't going nowhere. Of course re-sign Smith and Hartline too. We got space next year.

14. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

Yeah we have space but we also have hartline,bush,starks,long, and smith as key free agents. I see us signing 4 of the 5 but will we have enough for a receiver like Bowe?

15. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

As long as Ireland is here, Jake won't be going anywhere.

16. dolphan8055

dolphan8055 Team Talent Evaluator

if we can get an average guy in his place and some offensive or secondary talent with that extra cap im ok with letting him go BUT that is the only way

17. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

give him a good contract but not joe thomas type. thats just too much

18. dolphan8055

dolphan8055 Team Talent Evaluator

i have a real real real big feeling that hes going to want some big big money!

19. NYFINest

NYFINest Well-Known Member

How's C more of a play making position than a LT? Also, pretty sure that's one of the few positions on the team that I wouldn't worry about, Pouncey's been very solid

20. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Jonathan Martin's natural position is left tackle...you would only need to draft a good right tackle to replace him.

I don't think you overpay if the guy isn't getting it done...it has to be evaluated. Good teams don't overpay their players, they let them walk.

21. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

You do not need an elite LT to win a superbowl, however, you made need a few of those playmaker guys you see on superbowl teams.

22. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Why would we let him walk when we could have traded him for at least a second round pick? I don't think even Ireland is that dumb.

23. uk_dolfan

The people criticizing Long now are the same people who would attack the management for letting him go (remember Vonte?) in a successful team Long could be a hall of fame player. Will he demand big cash? Of course he should and the Dolphins will pay it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
  24. Dfan06

Dfan06 Seasoned Veteran

You keep him, why the hell would you create more holes? He is has not been as good as he was before but let's not create another hole. With Nolan Carrol's resurgence I can see Smith getting let go.

25. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

If he we do lose him to free agency do we get comp picks?

26. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Jake Long is a cornerstone player that sacrifices heart and soul for his team. Sign him longterm.

27. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

His game is horrible this year. He gave up at least 1 sack (a bad one) and I dont know how many pressures yesterday. If he dosnt improve let him walk.

28. dolpns13

LOL.. WHAT!?!

You talk ablut not creating more holes by letting Long walk, but then go on to suggest letting Smith (tthe best player in our secodary) walk.

29. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

He's playing hurt.

I would tag him next year and play it by ear.

AS for losing Bush and Sean Smith, this isn't Madden. They want to keep the players they have and build through the draft. I would make sure to sign Reggie, Starks, Hartline and the majority of the young core players

30. uk_dolfan

Horrible? :rolleyes2: Even when not playing his best he is still an elite LT

31. Oraclepz

Oraclepz Seasoned Veteran

Jake isn't going anywhere. With our cap we take care of our own. We resign Long, Bush, Starks, Hartline and Smith. All those guys are earning their money. Yes maybe jake is having an off year but he deserves the benefit of doubt. We keep building thru the draft.

32. INFINITY 19

INFINITY 19 Member

keep jake and up the talent around him

33. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Give him the 1st round tender and be happy to to get a 1st round round in return when he signs with somebody else.

34. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

just what i was going to say because if we cant sign him to decent contract then we still have martin that has played LT all through college and imo it wont be as hard to find a RT as much as it would to get a LT, but as far as signing a FA WR we will still have enough money even if we sign Long and the rest of the FAs we have left to sign.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

sure will.

35. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

why do we have big needs at C ? we have one of the best young centers in the league in pouncey , imo our most needs are WR , CB and another pass rusher oppsite of wake , and we could use a little bit of an upgrade at S , but imo its not as bad of a need as the other 3 that i mentioned.

36. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

imo we are going to be in control and not in serious trouble if Long dosent take what we offer, the ball is in our cornor to where we can offer a cotract to where we are not having to throw crazy money at Long and our team is getting better and better each week and there will be alot of players wanting to come and play here, because we have finally gotten a franchise QB, we can negociate with Long without panicing and throwing big money out there just because we dont have another option , because we do and we should be able to get a fair deal done with Long.

37. dolpns13

He's given up what, at least 4 sacks this year. How about all the penalties he is getting as well this year. He is very far from elite in 2012. He may be elite compared to a Damien McIntosh, or a Wade Smith, but compared to how he is capable of playing, he is playing horrible.

38. metalman32060

metalman32060 Misplaced PhinFan

Cant' say he has been horrible, but no way you pay him top LT money. He has been average (maybe slightly above) even going back to last season. I understand he has been playing hurt but that has become part of his problem, he seems to be hurt constantly. I get that some think we owe him for what he has done in the past but this is a what have you done for me lately league. If he is willing to settle on a fair contract fine, if not you have to do whats best for the team. Like others have said we have Martin in the wings and his natural position is LT, no need to pay Long top money.

39. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

The problem is he seems to be playing hurt alot. Its obviously admirable, but I suspect he's gonna break down bigtime at some point during his next big contract.

40. JERSEYFINFAN23

JERSEYFINFAN23 Starter

Pay the man, a he might not be top 3 but he is def top 10 in NFL -
    he is a great run blocker - and solid Pass blocker -why make a huge hole in the OL --
    remember what a bad LT looked like back in 2005 - 2006? do we really want too watch that again??