What was with the waving of White towels (flags)???) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What was with the waving of White towels (flags)???)

what would be cool is if the team wore the dark color jersey for a change I am so sick of the all white every freaking game .

this team needs some new energy like a new tradition before or after games or at halftime.

one idea would be right before game time everybody rub jimmy johnsons Hair for good luck I would say Sparano but he doesnt have any hair.

Back in the 70's the Dolphin fans were famous for waiving white handkerchiefs. I have no idea how it started but it is a fact. It was often called the "Horrible Hanky" as a pun on the "Terrible Towel" that Pittsburgh sported. The white hanky died in the 80's. This towel was being given out to every fan who walked into the gate, so I think they made the leap and waved it like the old days and like the Steelers. I don't think their was significance to the white except that it is cheaper to print on for a giveaway.

As I am old enough I will tell you the reason. One of the many things i love about the Dolphins under Shula was the class the team had. The white towels used to be white hankies.

Back in the 70's it was considered a classy thing to do.

I remember a clip of one of the many videos posted in this forum, with Pennington on the field waving his white towel. I think it was the thank you video for the fans. It actually looked pretty cool.

I am glad they gave them out. However, I used it to block my neck from the Sun.

I was kinda annoyed. I hate when teams take other team's chants/staples.

The Steeler's have the terrible towels. I don't care if they didn't invent it, they mastered it. It's their thing and we shouldn't be using it.

This happens to with college teams holding up 4 fingers to signal the start of the fourth quarter. If I remember correctly, and I know I do, UM was the first to do this is in the 80's, now every team does it and it annoys me every time I see it.

I dunno, I kind of liked it. Just seeing it on TV and the stadium packed like that gave me a huge sense of pride

I know Montreal Canadiens fans do it all the time at Bell center...

I was kinda annoyed. I hate when teams take other team's chants/staples.

The Steeler's have the terrible towels. I don't care if they didn't invent it, they mastered it. It's their thing and we shouldn't be using it.

This happens to with college teams holding up 4 fingers to signal the start of the fourth quarter. If I remember correctly, and I know I do, UM was the first to do this is in the 80's, now every team does it and it annoys me every time I see it.
Why would you be annoyed? They ripped the idea off of us. The Dolphins were the first to wave a hankie in the air to cheer on the team. I was 7 in '72. The Orange Bowl was filled with white hankies all season. This went on for several years. The reason it's white is b/c that is what we wear at home White on white. It is a tradition started by Don Shula. He got it by playing for Paul Brown of the Cleveland Browns. Paul's team always wore white on white. Wearing white in Miami is to the Dolphins advantage. It reflects the heat. When Miami was dominating in the early 70s white was not a sign of surrender. It was a sign of power. It will be again soon.

I have to say, I find it pathetic that so many people (particularly on this thread) are ignorant of the history of their own team.

The white towels (hankies) hark back to the team of the early 70s (you remember guys, they were quite good and the OB was the loudest place in the land). I think its a perfect tribute to that team, and to be honest, I think it was meant (along with obviously being a great visual display) to show the team of 2009 that the fans believe in them.

I'm all for it.

Ok, Waving flags is a sign of team spirit, and rallying behind your team, I get it. But why in the world were we waving White towels?!?!? Am I the only one who thinks that screams surrender? That's what you see in comedy movies of people giving up and surrendering. I'm real big on signs and symbols, and the scene of fans waving the white flag was just.....hmmmm dis hearting :foundout:

back in day when we were in the playoffs everyyear this was common. you newbies don't remember when we were actually a good team. bring back snowflake in the pool at the endzone! go fins.

I know it's been a while, but I thought most everyone knew about the "horrible hanky". In the long run that's good in a way, 'cause it means there are a great many younger fans following this team.

Back
Top Bottom