whats our backup plan at LT? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

whats our backup plan at LT?

I hate to b a Debbie downer but what if Martin does not fit the bill at LT what will be the backup plan?i do think Martin did good in his first year when he was forced into the spot.there were times he was probably not the best answer but we had no one to step in.im not sure who on this roster could do the job:err:

you would be a debbie downer if we had an all pro LT and u were saying that but its a fair question

I'm sure Richmond Webb will still available once the season starts. I don't know if there's a clear cut answer. Certainly Garner, Yeatman, Jerry, & Thomas would all be in the mix. In the short term, say for the remainder of a game I'd go with Garner or Yeatman. If it was more long term I'd go with Jerry or Thomas given that we have a lot more depth at guard. Thomas played LT in college but is not an NFL LT while Jerry has never played LT.

ideally dallas thomas would be able to step in, but as a rookie he is an unknown quantity at this point. john jerry did a good job filling in for jake in 2011. he would likely be up first. after that, good luck. i've seen nate garner at left tackle and it was not nfl caliber (not that a player can't improve, i just haven't seen it out of him).

Garner is a Jack of all trades he can play any poss he may not be the best at it ,BUT he isnt the worst at it he can hold down the fort until we do get something better.

I think we're pretty locked in on having Jonathan Martin learn as he goes at LT. From the looks of things, there's no backup plan unless he gets hurt. In that case, I'd expect Dallas Thomas to be given the shot ... which scares me even more than Martin.

From the looks of it, Ireland is set on what he sees as building through the draft, so if he drafts a position, he's not looking to draft that position again. Success/failure will probably not be assessed until year 3 in most cases, so the coaches are going to have to really pound the table to get draft picks outside of Ireland's comfort zone. He believes on building along the trenches, so DL is his area of concern, followed by OL. Using his churn approach, he always has a need along the OL and usually along the DL as well, so he can justify continuing to draft them. He drafts Long, 5 years later, he lets him go. He drafts Martin in the 2nd, so he's going to get him at LT through his 4 year contract until he can let him go and churn that position again. He drafted Jerry, and he's looking for his replacement. He brought in Incognito, so he drafted his replacement in Dallas Thomas.

My guess would be that in the 2014 draft we will look for DL in round 1 and probably a RT to replace Clabo in round 2, and another acorn TE in round 4.

Back
Top Bottom