which rookie are you most excited by? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

which rookie are you most excited by?

Everyone expecting Dion Jordan to make an impact right away should calm down their expectations.

Two reasons:

1. Injury to his shoulder. He's not even close to 100 percent. And an injury of this type has to be really close to 100 percent or it will re-injure, due to the force generated on that area of the body in playing DE and LB

2. Tweener status. Jordan is not a clear-cut DE or LB. He's not set up to plug into one position in the NFL and dominate right away. He's got the skills to be a difference maker, but it's going to take him some time to find his stride, NFL wise. Jason Taylor, who many are comparing Jordan to, struggled his first couple years, even as he flashed plays. Good OTs pimped him out, his first year... but then he adjusted and became a consistent force.

Put those two things together and you've got to temper enthusiasm with reality.

IF he is a CONSISTENT difference-maker by the end of the year, where other teams cannot take advantage of him in the running game, etc., then I will be very happy. First part of the season he will struggle some, even as he flashes plays, imo.

AND, coming on a D with so many new parts as this one, it may mean the team will struggle some too, at first.

LD

I dont know about you guys but I am really excited to watch Jordan he reminds me a lot of how I used to enjoy watching Miami on D becuase or Jordan. I can see him having the same impact as JT did in terms of community, person, locker room leader, performer, individual, game changing plays, excitement, marketing, a STAR when they speak of Miami etc.

So far Miami went from having 1 household name in Wake to having probably 4. Wake, Jordan, Tannehill, Wallace, and SLOWLY maybe just MAYBE ellerbe.

I am actually excited to watch everyone this year because they aren't all fat 300lb players.

I dont know about you guys but I am really excited to watch Jordan he reminds me a lot of how I used to enjoy watching Miami on D becuase or Jordan. I can see him having the same impact as JT did in terms of community, person, locker room leader, performer, individual, game changing plays, excitement, marketing, a STAR when they speak of Miami etc.

So far Miami went from having 1 household name in Wake to having probably 4. Wake, Jordan, Tannehill, Wallace, and SLOWLY maybe just MAYBE ellerbe.

I am actually excited to watch everyone this year because they aren't all fat 300lb players.

When I heard all the opening statements of Parcells and Sparano, and heard that their "new approach" was based on "size and strength," I knew immediately that the Phins were doomed to mediocrity for the near future. In the mind of Sparano and Parcells, it wasn't about new schemes, good coaching, philosophy consistent w. the league's evolving nature, etc. It was about Parcells-ball 20 years ago: Big, slow players that win a war of attrition. Lower skilled QBs and WRs and skill positions based on "consistency," not skill.

End of an era, for the Miami Dolphins. I predicted it to a good friend who absolutely LOVED the Parcells' hiring. And he said, smugly, "We'll see."

And indeed. We saw.

In today's NFL, if you don't have SKILL at skill positions, if you get HIGH on players w. mediocre talent and medium ceilings at skill positions, you've doomed your team to mediocrity.

Hence, the real reason why I am not thrilled that Hartline is being paid good dollars to be number two, and Gibson good money to be number 3 WR. It's a step back in philosophy and will make it harder to have sustained success, offensively. Wallace was a HUGE pickup. Getting rid of Bess was LONG OVERDUE. So, so challenged on talent. And Gibson is not much of an improvement, imo. WRs that can be easily covered, that present no mismatch in speed, separation skill, physicality, etc. have no business being paid good money and counted on week in and week out, IF your goal every years is a CHAMPIONSHIP.

Anyway, rant over. I agree w. you that it's exciting to see the play unfolding, and a new era of football player being brought to the Phins.

Philbin seems to GET the idea that in todays NFL you need to be able to DEFEND THE PASS WELL and PASS THE BALL WELL, against any team, ala the Baltimore Ravens last year, in the playoffs. Their win against NE was the most impressive playoff win that I've seen in a long time. And they simply OWNED the NE D once they figured out what they were doing -- why? BECAUSE THEY HAD THE TALENT AT SKILL POSITIONS TO EXPLOIT the NE D.

Hopefully, we're heading that way as a Team! Long time coming...

LD

Im actually pretty excited about dion sims, think he was a huge steal where we got him. An every down TE, who can block and catch, he's not explosive but he's very smooth, and has great hands. Reminds me a lot of Crumpler. Just an easy target to find, and catches everything.

And the fact that he is damn good at blocking is a huge plus, it seems rare these days to find TE's who blocked so often in while in college, especially that were actually good t it.

I hope Terrell Sinkfield grasps as much knowledge as he can and is able to compete at a high level this year.

Everyone expecting Dion Jordan to make an impact right away should calm down their expectations.

Two reasons:

1. Injury to his shoulder. He's not even close to 100 percent. And an injury of this type has to be really close to 100 percent or it will re-injure, due to the force generated on that area of the body in playing DE and LB

2. Tweener status. Jordan is not a clear-cut DE or LB. He's not set up to plug into one position in the NFL and dominate right away. He's got the skills to be a difference maker, but it's going to take him some time to find his stride, NFL wise. Jason Taylor, who many are comparing Jordan to, struggled his first couple years, even as he flashed plays. Good OTs pimped him out, his first year... but then he adjusted and became a consistent force.

Put those two things together and you've got to temper enthusiasm with reality.

IF he is a CONSISTENT difference-maker by the end of the year, where other teams cannot take advantage of him in the running game, etc., then I will be very happy. First part of the season he will struggle some, even as he flashes plays, imo.

AND, coming on a D with so many new parts as this one, it may mean the team will struggle some too, at first.

LD

This is very true, which is why I'm trying to limit my expectations. Therefore, I want to see Taylor as a capable starter

I would say Jamar Taylor. I think he will probably have the biggest role this season out of the rookies. I am pretty excited to see what he can do, if he turn into a good cb for us our D is looking real good. Also can't wait to see Jordan doing some switching around from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB, with Odrick moving back and forth as well. Pretty sure thats the plan anyway. Gilleslee is also excting as well, looks like he could be a beast. Reminds me of Willis Mcgahee during college. So many choices, Sims could be huge for us if he can make RZ plays. "I guess I sorta like em all. "

Those are the same 3 guys that intrigue me. Jordan, Taylor and Gillislee.

I'm gonna go away from the obvious pick in Jordan and point out Jelani Jenkins. Rated as the best cover LB in this draft, he's also a smart player and we have uncertainty at LB. Wheeler and Ellerbe are not exactly proven commodities to the extent of my knowledge. Not saying they won't work out, just saying it's a little uncertain. That means a little less ground for Jenkins to make up to be up to snuff and get in the mix. I see him playing a bigger role this year than we realize.

The first time Jordan destroys Brady I am going to go crazy. I just can't wait to see his speed on the outside and how fast he should be able to get to the QB since Wake will be the one getting Double teamed.

Leon Sandcastle.

Seriously, I'm looking forward to watching Gillislee develop. I think he's going to be special.

Back
Top Bottom