Who can make the biggest impact on the D front 7? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who can make the biggest impact on the D front 7?

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Saban talked about the importance of having impact players on the front 7 and I could not agree more. To me, a competitive football teams starts with the 5 OL's and the front 7 on D (in the past one might have said "front 4" but the way the game is now, it's the front 7).

That noted, the Dolphins seem to be pretty improving in both areas - though there are still needs.

The question is, what new addition at what position along the front 7 can make the most impact? If through free agency or the draft, which player (s) at which position would you try to draft/sign to do this?

I would start with the linebackers, someone like AJ Hawk could have a very big impact in our defense

Simone007 said:
I would start with the linebackers, someone like AJ Hawk could have a very big impact in our defense

Well sure he would! But the Dolphins pick at 16! At 16 - I would say Bunkley, Greenway, Lawson, and Wimbley in that order - I know folks like Lawson a lot, but sometimes great measurables lie - but sometimes they don't (see Merriman last year)

Da 'Fins said:
Saban talked about the importance of having impact players on the front 7 and I could not agree more. To me, a competitive football teams starts with the 5 OL's and the front 7 on D (in the past one might have said "front 4" but the way the game is now, it's the front 7).

That noted, the Dolphins seem to be pretty improving in both areas - though there are still needs.

The question is, what new addition at what position along the front 7 can make the most impact? If through free agency or the draft, which player (s) at which position would you try to draft/sign to do this?

Immediete impact on D-line are OLB and DE that can play in the 3-4
If we went that way come draft day, I would look at taking the best OLB available that is familiar with the 3-4. You could also look at DE that can make the transition to OLB. Hawk wont be there at 16.

Bunkley has worked himself into the top 10, Greenway is a possiblity, I really hope we can trade down about 10 spots and take the guy in my signature!

While I think he fully intends to address OLB and maybe even the DL, let's not forget that Nick may have been diverting attention away from other potential needs positions in order to fake out some other drafting teams ahead or behind us who are looking to maybe move up in front of us (if they think we're taking their guy). He's not lying to anyone, as he said becuase I think he will address those positions in the draft, but just maybe not in the 1st. If there's an impact player at #16 in the WR, OL or DB, don't think he won't jump to take those players. The quesiton is, who does Nick consider an "impact" player ? We all have our theories and opinions, but we all can't agree on that, so I doubt we can say for sure who Nick says it is. If there's not that impact player or if Nick thinks we can still get one of those top tier players a little lower, I suspect we'll move down to get another pick in the first day. Guess we'll know in little over a week!

While I would like to see us add an OLB and/or a DE for either the 3-4 or the 4-3, I think our biggest need on the front seven is a NT. Traylor is 36 and none of the rest of our DT's are truly NT in the two-gap/ run swallowing sense. Vonnie Holiday? He's a converted DE like Kevin Carter. Zgonina is not big enough and is nearly as old as Traylor. Wright and Vickerson are 6-6 and 6-5 respectively and seem more suited to off tackle in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4. Shaw and Green are game but they have been camp fodder for a number of years and I don't want them anchoring the center of our defense unless they have made some miracle improvement in the off-season. Ngata, Bunkley, or Watson from the draft seem to be the best canidates for an improvement as I don't see anyone in free agency at this point who could help.

Ohiophinphan said:
While I would like to see us add an OLB and/or a DE for either the 3-4 or the 4-3, I think our biggest need on the front seven is a NT. Traylor is 36 and none of the rest of our DT's are truly NT in the two-gap/ run swallowing sense. Vonnie Holiday? He's a converted DE like Kevin Carter. Zgonina is not big enough and is nearly as old as Traylor. Wright and Vickerson are 6-6 and 6-5 respectively and seem more suited to off tackle in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4. Shaw and Green are game but they have been camp fodder for a number of years and I don't want them anchoring the center of our defense unless they have made some miracle improvement in the off-season. Ngata, Bunkley, or Watson from the draft seem to be the best canidates for an improvement as I don't see anyone in free agency at this point who could help.

I would amost be willing to bet that when we pick Watson will be the only one available. I really think that Bunkley may end up in.....:boohoo: Buffalo at 8, the guy is a FORCE in the middle. Ngata will likely be gone as well and at 16 Watson isnt nearly value. So unless one of the big two come out with a Lendale White type of injury I think they will be gone. So, I think at that point if they are off the board and we cant trade back we will look at a guy like a Chad Jackson if there or Chad Greenway. If we can trade down my guy has to be very much on the radar. He has everything Saban is looking for in a CB.

Ernie Sims, LB FL ST would make an impact at Weak Side. He's like Crowder but faster. That's who I hope we take, if not Jimmie Williams, CB V-Tech.

Butch said:
Ernie Sims, LB FL ST would make an impact at Weak Side. He's like Crowder but faster. That's who I hope we take, if not Jimmie Williams, CB V-Tech.

Roger Roger. Sims/Bunkley/Lawson in that order at 16.

I would love Ngata at NT, but i dont think he will be there. I think he fits Sabans scheme to a T. Bunkley, IMO, while great and all doesnt really fit it as well. We have two already, Carter and Holiday in that mold. BPA is what i hope we do at #16 or trade down for an extra pick in rd #2.

Also i agree with a lot of other fin fans that Lawson could be another JT. That would be sweet. But i think we could trade down and get him as well.

Kiper's draft boards have us taking Greenway at 16. I am ok with that pick.

fin1 said:
Kiper's draft boards have us taking Greenway at 16. I am ok with that pick.

I would too. I would also like to trade down and maybe get Carpenter. :dolphins:

Finsfan1984 said:
I would love Ngata at NT, but i dont think he will be there. I think he fits Sabans scheme to a T. Bunkley, IMO, while great and all doesnt really fit it as well. We have two already, Carter and Holiday in that mold. BPA is what i hope we do at #16 or trade down for an extra pick in rd #2.

See I disagree, Bunkley is a monster of a man and is strong as an Ox. He has the strenght to be a dominating NT. He would give you that pass rush to colapse the pocket from the middle on passing downs, and is strong enough to eat up blockers and hold his ground on running plays. I mean the guy threw up 225 lbs 44 times!

Back
Top Bottom