Votes: 28 38.9%
  • New Coach

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Pass Rusher

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
Right now I would say for this team it is best to invest in the offensive line and see how Tannehill does in 2018. If they get a top pick and a QB prospect that they like is available then go for it. However a rookie QB behind this garbage offensive line is going to take a beating and possibly lose confidence. So I say put together an above average offensive line and continue to improve the defense.

That's where I'm leaning as well. Look at Dallas. Drafting Elliott and Prescott in the same year made a huge difference for that franchise. But, they may have not been a factor if the Cowboys hadn't built the offensive line first.

It's like building the house without the foundation.

I happen to agree, a franchise QB makes all the difference in the world.

I've never thought of Tannehill as an elite guy, but I do think Miami can win with him. After this year, I'd think fans must think more highly of Tannehill and his skill set.

If the team is going to keep and use Tannehill, it needs a stud tight end and a whole lot of pass defense.

Passer rating differential equals winning. Tannehill's passer rating needs to go up, and the passer rating of opposing quarterbacks needs to drop tremendously.

The statistics associated with Tannehill's performance when under pressure and when not under pressure aren't consistent with the notion that a better pass blocking offensive line would increase his passer rating as much as would a stud tight end.

If the team is going to keep and use Tannehill, it needs a stud tight end and a whole lot of pass defense.

Passer rating differential equals winning. Tannehill's passer rating needs to go up, and the passer rating of opposing quarterbacks needs to drop tremendously.

The statistics associated with Tannehill's performance when under pressure and when not under pressure aren't consistent with the notion that a better pass blocking offensive line would increase his passer rating as much as would a stud tight end.

Not that a good tight end wouldn't help, but I totally disagree with you saying that an above average OL wouldn't drastically improve RT more than a TE. He's shown in the past that when he has time to stand in the pocket he can make all the reads and work on a defense. Just because he can at times throw decently under pressure doesn't mean he wouldn't benefit from not having people in his face every play. And then you have to consider that it would improve the run game too which in turn helps passing....

Absolutely,our own history speaks of this. During the Marino years we had no defense to speak of and a non existant running game, but somehow we were a shoe in for the playoffs just about every year.....and why? A franchise QB.

And just how would Marino have done without Webb, Sims, Stephenson, etc ?

My take - you build you offense and defense from the line. It all starts in the trenches folks.

And just how would Marino have done without Webb, Sims, Stephenson, etc ?

My take - you build you offense and defense from the line. It all starts in the trenches folks.
No doubt we build a team from the line, but the point is Marino our franchise QB made the Phins who they were even with the glaring needs the Dolphins faced at that time. In other words, his greatness masked or deficiencies.
Cutler CANNOT do the things Marino did even with Webb, Sims, Stephenson, etc.
A franchise QB makes all the difference in the world.

I've never thought of Tannehill as an elite guy, but I do think Miami can win with him. After this year, I'd think fans must think more highly of Tannehill and his skill set.
Let me put it this way, I definitely miss him because of the mess we have QB right now.

Miami missed the playoffs plenty during the Marino years: 86,87,88,89,91,93* (Achilles year, so it gets an asterisk) and 96. Seven times
Correct....but take the point for what it is, so we missed the playoffs what 6 times in his career, and he played 17 years....I'll take it.

Coaches, definitely. Gase MAY turn out to be a decent HC but, he's nowhere near there yet. There are numerous examples of ex-Dolphins players going on to greatness with other teams but, ex-Dolphins HCs disappear from football entirely. In a misguided effort to find the next Don Shula, Miami has given the keys to a string of unproven candidates who have failed. The blame usually goes to the players who go on to respectable careers with other teams. Even Ted Ginn, who got no love here, has been to the SB with two different teams and is on pace for the play-offs again with his third team.
The problem is that unproven rookie HCs usually bring unproven rookie assistants with them. They can't get solid veterans!!
Look no further than the o-line coaches,, a coke snorter and before him, Philbin's contribution to greatness, the architect of bullygate, Jim Taylor, while most of you are too eager to blame "lack of talent".
Indeed, lack of talent among the coaches.

Coaches, definitely. Gase MAY turn out to be a decent HC but, he's nowhere near there yet. There are numerous examples of ex-Dolphins players going on to greatness with other teams but, ex-Dolphins HCs disappear from football entirely. In a misguided effort to find the next Don Shula, Miami has given the keys to a string of unproven candidates who have failed. The blame usually goes to the players who go on to respectable careers with other teams. Even Ted Ginn, who got no love here, has been to the SB with two different teams and is on pace for the play-offs again with his third team.
The problem is that unproven rookie HCs usually bring unproven rookie assistants with them. They can't get solid veterans!!
Look no further than the o-line coaches,, a coke snorter and before him, Philbin's contribution to greatness, the architect of bullygate, Jim Taylor, while most of you are too eager to blame "lack of talent".
Indeed, lack of talent among the coaches.

This is a good post. I hear what you're saying, but I think it's still too early to know if Gase is the guy. He has won more than the talent would suggest so that's the good news. He was part of the process that has helped to rebuild the defense and the run defense has improved dramatically.

I want to see how Gase progresses in the little nuances of the game. I still think he needs time to put his stamp on the offense. He doesn't have the players yet.

They also made it a lot: '83, '84, '85, '90, '92, '94, '95, '97, '98, '99.

Paints a different picture when laid out this way. I'd take 10 playoff appearances in 17 years over what we've had since 2000.

Yep, even though some seasons were wasted (i.e. 86-88) and some seasons were inexplicable regressions like 1991, the Marino-led Dolphins still made it into the playoffs 59% of the time over the course of 17 seasons.

Since Marino's retirement, and including this season in which I'll boldly predict they miss the playoffs, the Dolphins have played 18 seasons. During that time, the team has made the playoffs only 22% of the time. And during that time, they've won only 20% of the few playoff games they've been in.

A lot of faith in this room about Tannehill being a franchise QB. Serious stretch IMO. Serviceable, gutty, great attitude, absolutely. Has shown flashes, but in no way has he put together a resume that says franchise QB unless you're really bottom-dwelling with that description. I see no way around drafting a top QB this coming draft and having him develop under RT. And none of what I just said even adds in the factor of RT's health concerns. Will he be full strength next year? Will this be a reoccurring issue? Will the fact he's had this injury essentially take away one of his major strengths (mobility and the fact that when he was healthy the run/pass/keep option was beyond viable)? Nothing I'd rather do that eat my words here, but I just don't see it. You have to draft QB in 1st or 2nd round this draft. Very good RB's can be found later.

They also made it a lot: '83, '84, '85, '90, '92, '94, '95, '97, '98, '99.

Paints a different picture when laid out this way. I'd take 10 playoff appearances in 17 years over what we've had since 2000.

All I was pointing out, was that we were not a shoo-in every year when Dan was playing.

A lot of faith in this room about Tannehill being a franchise QB. Serious stretch IMO. Serviceable, gutty, great attitude, absolutely. Has shown flashes, but in no way has he put together a resume that says franchise QB unless you're really bottom-dwelling with that description. I see no way around drafting a top QB this coming draft and having him develop under RT. And none of what I just said even adds in the factor of RT's health concerns. Will he be full strength next year? Will this be a reoccurring issue? Will the fact he's had this injury essentially take away one of his major strengths (mobility and the fact that when he was healthy the run/pass/keep option was beyond viable)? Nothing I'd rather do that eat my words here, but I just don't see it. You have to draft QB in 1st or 2nd round this draft. Very good RB's can be found later.

Yeah, I don't see a franchise guy. He's certainly not Aaron Rodgers, few are. Tannehill could have an elite year, but he needs talent around him (like a Matt Ryan situation).

Not sure there's a franchise quarterback in this draft. There is some intriguing talent, though.

Back
Top Bottom