Who should win College Coach of the Year? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who should win College Coach of the Year?

FinNasty

"The Sticker Dunk"
Reaction score
I am going to expose my predjuduce right away... I go to UCF...

Now, I think the Coach of the Year should be George O'Leary of UCF. He turned around a team that was 0-11(last in the country) last year to 8-3 (ranked 30th in the AP Poll) this year, put his team in first place of Conference USA (first year in the conference) and is hosting the conference championship game! If he wins the game and the team goes 9-3, it will be the largest turn round in NCAA History!! :eek: and he has done it with 7 ROAD games! :eek:

I know there are some other canidates out there (Charlie Weis, Spurrier, and JoePa) but here is why I think George O'Leary deserves it more

Paterno - He runs the team about as much as the Queen of England runs England... even a quote from JoePa...
"They run the team anyway," Paterno said, referring to assistants Dick Anderson, Ron Vanderlinden and Galen Hall, all former head coaches.

Spurrier - He inherited a bowl-eligible team. And besides beating UCF, he has only beaten 1 team with a winning record this year (Florida)

Charlie Weis - It isnt like the team was talentless when he got there. It is still Notre Dame... While he is a great coach... if he beats Stanford, he will only have exactly 3 more wins than last year. He is also the first head coach of Notre Dame to lose his first 2 home games since the 19th century

Now, while I think all 3 of the coaches listed above have done a GREAT job... those are the reasons why I believe O'Leary deserves it more...

Thoughts?

kastofsna120 said:
o'leary deserves it. as does paterno, spurrier, jim leavitt, etc

Ya... they all definatly deserve it one way or the other, but who do you think deserves it the most? (whole point of the thread :lol: )

kastofsna120 said:

tru that... I actually wasnt expecting you to agree about O'Leary

Joe Pa WILL win it. Charlie Weiss a close second.

MikeO said:
Joe Pa WILL win it. Charlie Weiss a close second.

unfortunatly, I agree with you...

But does anyone think they deserve it more than O'Leary?

bg34 said:
Paterno..hands down IMO

even if O'Leary coaches UCF to the best turn around in NCAA history?

JoePa and Penn St SUCKED for the past few years and are only 1 second away from a perfect season this year. Plus, he is on his last legs and this would be a nice send off for him.

O'Leary........its still UCF! The turnaround PSU has done in the BIG 10 is more impressive in my opinion because of the level of competition.

MikeO said:
JoePa and Penn St SUCKED for the past few years and are only 1 second away from a perfect season this year. Plus, he is on his last legs and this would be a nice send off for him.

O'Leary........its still UCF! The turnaround PSU has done in the BIG 10 is more impressive in my opinion because of the level of competition.
most people expected penn state to be good this year (i think). no one expected anything from UCF

paterno has more a LOT more talent than UCF, plain and simple. they've underperformed the last couple of years, and finally they're playing the way they should. UCF is doing far better than they should on paper

:yeahthat: all of Kast's points are good..

plus...
MikeO said:

ya... UCF isnt a national powerhouse, but UCF is ranked 30th in the nation right now! from 117 to 30, thats 97 spots! if they win the conference championship, they should crack the top 25... :eek:

The improvement that UCF has made is historical...

and JoePa getting the award for a "nice send off"... thats the lamest thing I have ever heard. You should give an award to who deserves it the most... not to someone for a lame reason like that...

I think Joe Pa or Weis win it because of the schools they coach at and the national attention both programs get. I know very little about UCF to be honest so I cant really comment. Wouldnt mind seeing O'Leary win it though after the ND fiasco he went through.

Back
Top Bottom