Who would you pick at 12 in this scenario... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who would you pick at 12 in this scenario...

You HAVE to pick at 12...who is it gonna be?

• OG Jonathan Cooper

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • TE Tyler Eifert

Votes: 41 56.2%
  • DE Barkevious Mingo

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • DT Sheldon Richardson

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • CB Desmond Trufant

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Geeze look at them lopsided results. Top two getters at this point G and TE. FinHeaven loves them some offense.

If we could stick to our picks and have a draft like this !?! R1 OG Jonathan Cooper, R2a DE Margus Hunt, or DE Cornellius (Tank) Carradine, R2b OT Terron Armstead, R3a CB darius Slay, R3b TE Travis Kelce. Then we'd be set for a long time! All the Eifert fans Travis Kelce is a better seam threat te!

Eifert is better but that doesnt mean kelcie wont end up as good or better going to the right situation. Eifert is better all around player and Kelcie didnt play against the competition Eifert did. looks are decieving at college level.

I go Jonathan cooper then Eifert.

We dont need an OLB in Mingo. We dont really need a DE or CB at 12. DT either. just find another guy later for all these positions. deep.

There are only a few TE's and 32 teams picking. There are only a couple good scheme fitting G's.

Philbin wants to revamp his oline. Because he understands football. not fantasy.

I go Jonathan cooper then Eifert.

We dont need an OLB in Mingo. We dont really need a DE or CB at 12. DT either. just find another guy later for all these positions. deep.

There are only a few TE's and 32 teams picking. There are only a couple good scheme fitting G's.

Philbin wants to revamp his oline. Because he understands football. not fantasy.
Love it when people speak for him. Let me try: Philbin wants to revamp the skill positions. Because he understands modern football and the need to score points at will. not impotent offense-building via the trenches.

Let's face it, the NFL is an offense-first league now. Even the two "defensive teams" that met in the Super Bowl had a shootout. What was the lowest winning points total for playoffs games, something like 26? It was a crazy year, but the trends and rules all point to high scoring to win. How can we pass up the draft's best red zone threat on a team that has zero red zone threats and is claiming to be building around it's 2nd year franchise QB?

Tyler Eifert. Size, speed, length, lift, seam threat, best red zone threat, best fade catching TE in the draft, best catcher in traffic in the draft, developing into a decent blocker, hard worker, intelligent, team oriented, good citizen, durable, fills a need, 3 down player, doesn't telegraph run/pass, adjusts to the ball well, lowest chance of turnover guy ... what's not to like?

Mingo has elite physical ability. Only maybe Cordarrelle Patterson has that kind of physical ability. But I don't sign up for low production guys with high end tools when high production guys with near-high end tools are sitting there to fill a need. Mingo is an OLB, and I see no scenario where he'll be a good 43 DE, so is he really worth #12 in our system? He can't hold the point of attack and set the edge. He is great at containing the read option, pursuing, and flying to the QB when unblocked, but he's a projection at this point, and a big one for us. Guys with that kind of quick first step and closing speed and overall athleticism should be naturally dominating collegiate competition, but he didn't. He's speed only, and like Jonathan Martin, would be strength-deficient in the trenches. I'm going to love to watch him develop as a 34 WOLB, but I'll be shocked if it's with the Dolphins.

There was a G for the Vikings, now retired, who I thought was worth picking very high, but I don't see Cooper or Warmack nearly that good, nor deserving of that pick. Given Ireland's reticence to invest heavily into elite money at OL, I'm simply not advocating drafting an elite guard. Philbin's system doesn't depend on the OL, it depends on the QB, WR's and TE, so that's where we need to acquire elite talent.

Richardson ... please no. This guy is a risk. Look at the top 15 busts over the last 10 years .... there are a LOT of physically talented DT's in that list. Given the depth of this draft, if you want a DT, grab him in the back half of the 1st, not at #12. When it's all said and done, Floyd, Richardson, Lotulelei, Williams, Hankins and 3 or 4 other good DT's are in this draft. I'm not spending #12 on a guy who I am unsure about his head and his work ethic.

Trufant ... you've gotta be joking. I like the guy, but there are no elite CB's in this draft. Milliner, Rhodes, Hayden and the Biose State kid whose name escapes me at the moment are all in the mix rating-wise. I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan Poyer or David Amerson became pro-bowlers in the right system, and they produce turnovers. None of these CB's merit top 20 picks on talent IMHO. There are no Stephon Gilmore's in this draft.

Let's face it, the NFL is an offense-first league now. Even the two "defensive teams" that met in the Super Bowl had a shootout. What was the lowest winning points total for playoffs games, something like 26? It was a crazy year, but the trends and rules all point to high scoring to win. How can we pass up the draft's best red zone threat on a team that has zero red zone threats and is claiming to be building around it's 2nd year franchise QB?

Tyler Eifert. Size, speed, length, lift, seam threat, best red zone threat, best fade catching TE in the draft, best catcher in traffic in the draft, developing into a decent blocker, hard worker, intelligent, team oriented, good citizen, durable, fills a need, 3 down player, doesn't telegraph run/pass, adjusts to the ball well, lowest chance of turnover guy ... what's not to like?

Mingo has elite physical ability. Only maybe Cordarrelle Patterson has that kind of physical ability. But I don't sign up for low production guys with high end tools when high production guys with near-high end tools are sitting there to fill a need. Mingo is an OLB, and I see no scenario where he'll be a good 43 DE, so is he really worth #12 in our system? He can't hold the point of attack and set the edge. He is great at containing the read option, pursuing, and flying to the QB when unblocked, but he's a projection at this point, and a big one for us. Guys with that kind of quick first step and closing speed and overall athleticism should be naturally dominating collegiate competition, but he didn't. He's speed only, and like Jonathan Martin, would be strength-deficient in the trenches. I'm going to love to watch him develop as a 34 WOLB, but I'll be shocked if it's with the Dolphins.

There was a G for the Vikings, now retired, who I thought was worth picking very high, but I don't see Cooper or Warmack nearly that good, nor deserving of that pick. Given Ireland's reticence to invest heavily into elite money at OL, I'm simply not advocating drafting an elite guard. Philbin's system doesn't depend on the OL, it depends on the QB, WR's and TE, so that's where we need to acquire elite talent.

Richardson ... please no. This guy is a risk. Look at the top 15 busts over the last 10 years .... there are a LOT of physically talented DT's in that list. Given the depth of this draft, if you want a DT, grab him in the back half of the 1st, not at #12. When it's all said and done, Floyd, Richardson, Lotulelei, Williams, Hankins and 3 or 4 other good DT's are in this draft. I'm not spending #12 on a guy who I am unsure about his head and his work ethic.

Trufant ... you've gotta be joking. I like the guy, but there are no elite CB's in this draft. Milliner, Rhodes, Hayden and the Biose State kid whose name escapes me at the moment are all in the mix rating-wise. I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan Poyer or David Amerson became pro-bowlers in the right system, and they produce turnovers. None of these CB's merit top 20 picks on talent IMHO. There are no Stephon Gilmore's in this draft.

I agree, good post.

I think Milliner, Rhodes, and Trufant are all a good deal better than Gilmore.

Back
Top Bottom