Who's better suited for the WCO? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's better suited for the WCO?

Den54

Punk Exterminator
Reaction score
Not that I think we're going to that exculsivley, but if they're going use alot more 3 step drops and fire the ball out quickly to short and intermediate passes.I would think it would favor Fiedler more. Just wondering.

You're going to get accused of being repetitive in light of the thread I started earlier this week. I say that because I got accused of it because it was dicussed in December. :lol:

I think it does favor Fiedler, particularly since others have said that AJ struggles with short accuracy.

I hate to say it, but i think fiedler is better suited for it. He doesn't have the arm strength for long balls

The WCO requires good accuracy and the ability to throw from the pocket. That pretty much eliminates Fiedler as a good candidate.

Fiedler has forced both Gailey and Turner to basically rip out pages of their respective playbooks, due to his lack of talent.

Giving Jay a shot at yet another offense is as ridiculous as the idea of having him start for a 5th consecutive year.

'02 Norv utilize underneath passes alot more and Jay started out the year very well until injury came along.I wouldn't be surprise to see Jay play really well in a more west coast oriented offense.

I still want to wait and see Feely play. Once he is comfy in the system we run here. I am tired of watching and yelling at the TV when Fiedler plays.

I've been saying it for years. He'd be a much better WCO QB. But I'm still hoping Feeley wins out. I think once he gets comfy, he'll be better.

I'm not particularly high on this traditional view that a WCO is friendly to QBs without great armstrength.

The best WCO quarterbacks I can think of in recent memory are Montana, Favre, Elway, Young, Gannon, and McNabb. Of those, only Montana had an arm comparable to Jay's...and to tell you the truth, I think Montana's arm might have been better. The only other good WCO QB I could bring up with weak armstrength is Pennington but his offense isn't a true WCO...its the old Kansas City offense which mixes WCO with straight up vertical passing attacks.

The prototypical WCO quarterback is JP Losman, not Philip Rivers.

I still am scratching my head with all the impatience over Feeley. I mean come on, this is a new team and new wrs. This is his first of many camps. Add to that we are putting in new plays and developing timing. Yeesh, of coarse Jay is gonna have it easier with Chambers and other due to years of throwing it to them. He still hasnt hit the deep ball with pads on. I think AJ has shown already he has the stronger arm. Patience to all. Dolfanreal69

The problem is right now, this is about as good as Fiedler will be in September. What we see now is what we'll get. What we see now out of AJ is not what we get in September, so have patience.

ckparrothead said:
I'm not particularly high on this traditional view that a WCO is friendly to QBs without great armstrength.

The only other good WCO QB I could bring up with weak armstrength is Pennington but his offense isn't a true WCO...its the old Kansas City offense which mixes WCO with straight up vertical passing attacks.

Miami's O this year sounds like they will be using the KC O with more west coast O mixed in. Norv's O is very similar to KC's in terminology and theory. The reports are that Collier is using the Norv's O and just adding some of Trestman's influence to make the passing game more efficient. Pennington might actually be the best comparison for what Miami wants their QBs to do.

As to which QB (AJ, JF) this favors, I don't know. I haven't watched AJ much, but I've heard he is accurate short. The physical plus AJ brings is that he is allegedly more accurate deep. IMO it's going to come down to which QB can consistantly make good, quick decisions. They both have enough physical skills.

You must be very accurate in WCO cause the corners and safties will be very close to the line of scrimmage due to all the quick throws. Jay can make the quick throw toward the middle of the field, but no outside the numbers. This means corners will force recievers to the outside and Jay would not do well with this I don't think. Don't know about Feeley because I havn't seen him, but I don't like the idea of a lot of short passes by Fiedler.

Flashback: Oakland Raiders second round playoff game, moving the ball down the field...opening drive. Quick out pass by Jay, INT............TD Raiders! :(

Miami's O this year sounds like they will be using the KC O with more west coast O mixed in. Norv's O is very similar to KC's in terminology and theory. The reports are that Collier is using the Norv's O and just adding some of Trestman's influence to make the passing game more efficient. Pennington might actually be the best comparison for what Miami wants their QBs to do.

I think you misunderstand me. When I say the old KC offense, I dont mean what Al Saunders is running right now. That offense bears resemblance if anything to an offshoot of the Martz playbook (a cousin of the Turner playbook) which is why it bears so much resemblance to Miami's.

The old KC offense was Paul Hackett, the current Jets offensive coordinator, running with Elvis Grbac under center. In that offense Derrick Alexander caught a bunch of long bombs, Joe Horn got his start as the 3rd WR, and Grbac tossed for like 4000 yards or something. Thats the offense that the Jets run now, its more west coast with vertical added in. What it sounds like we'll be doing is running a Coryall with some horizontal added in...and there's a pretty big difference I think.

I would say that Montana, and Pennington if you consider the Jets offense to be a true west coast offense (which I don't) are the exceptions. In the WCO you NEED to be able to zip those balls in fast and on the front shoulder, and you also need to be able to hit people deep in order to prevent those corners from sitting on the short and horizontal routes. The reason I think a QB with a good deep strong arm can succeed in the WCO especially if he can make plays with his feet a la Gannon, Favre, Elway, Young, etc is because you do not throw deep that often in the WCO. You might say "huh?" but when you don't throw deep that often, you have to make them count when you do. A strong-armed QB with a deep cannon will keep the defense thinking about those deep shots, no matter HOW often the offense calls for them to be run.

If you toss a Jay Fiedler into a West Coast Offense, you're just asking for the CBs to sit on the short routes and break on passes all day long...because they know that a) Jay Fiedler is bad at throwing it deep, and b) the offense won't challenge them deep that often.

If you toss a Jay Fiedler into a West Coast Offense, you're just asking for the CBs to sit on the short routes and break on passes all day long...because they know that a) Jay Fiedler is bad at throwing it deep, and b) the offense won't challenge them deep that often.
Hell that is Jay in ANY offense!

Well to be fair if you throw the ball deep and often, a defense has to worry about it no matter who the QB is especially if you've got WRs like Chambers and Boston. If you give up on it because its not as effective percentage-wise as you'd like, then the corners will sit and pick you off.

Back
Top Bottom