Who's better suited for the WCO? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's better suited for the WCO?

First off lets take a look at some of the most successful QB in recents year with arm strength that are similar to Jay or Worst.

Penington
Ganon
Garcia

All west coast offense.None of those QB's arm strength are better than Jay and if anything might be a notch below Jay.How do you explain their success?Jay doesn't have any problem Zipping the intermediate passes.West coast offense relies on smart QB to make quick desicion and doesn't rely on arm strength like your making it look like CK.

ckparrothead said:
I think you misunderstand me. When I say the old KC offense, I dont mean what Al Saunders is running right now. That offense bears resemblance if anything to an offshoot of the Martz playbook (a cousin of the Turner playbook) which is why it bears so much resemblance to Miami's.

The old KC offense was Paul Hackett, the current Jets offensive coordinator, running with Elvis Grbac under center. In that offense Derrick Alexander caught a bunch of long bombs, Joe Horn got his start as the 3rd WR, and Grbac tossed for like 4000 yards or something. Thats the offense that the Jets run now, its more west coast with vertical added in. What it sounds like we'll be doing is running a Coryall with some horizontal added in...and there's a pretty big difference I think.

I would say that Montana, and Pennington if you consider the Jets offense to be a true west coast offense (which I don't) are the exceptions. In the WCO you NEED to be able to zip those balls in fast and on the front shoulder, and you also need to be able to hit people deep in order to prevent those corners from sitting on the short and horizontal routes. The reason I think a QB with a good deep strong arm can succeed in the WCO especially if he can make plays with his feet a la Gannon, Favre, Elway, Young, etc is because you do not throw deep that often in the WCO. You might say "huh?" but when you don't throw deep that often, you have to make them count when you do. A strong-armed QB with a deep cannon will keep the defense thinking about those deep shots, no matter HOW often the offense calls for them to be run.

If you toss a Jay Fiedler into a West Coast Offense, you're just asking for the CBs to sit on the short routes and break on passes all day long...because they know that a) Jay Fiedler is bad at throwing it deep, and b) the offense won't challenge them deep that often.

Yeah, I was thinking of the current incarnation of the KC offense.

I don't agree, however, that a cb just sit and jump short routes all day. The offense I remember under Trestman used a ton of crossing routes. You play man and try to jump crossing routes and you'll be watching a lot of short passes turn into long TDs. Also the main problem with our long passing game last year was the OL. Don't get me wrong, I want an upgrade to JF and I hope (believe) AJ is that guy, but given more time upright even JF can threaten a team deep.

ckparrothead said:
I'm not particularly high on this traditional view that a WCO is friendly to QBs without great armstrength.

The best WCO quarterbacks I can think of in recent memory are Montana, Favre, Elway, Young, Gannon, and McNabb. Of those, only Montana had an arm comparable to Jay's...and to tell you the truth, I think Montana's arm might have been better. The only other good WCO QB I could bring up with weak armstrength is Pennington but his offense isn't a true WCO...its the old Kansas City offense which mixes WCO with straight up vertical passing attacks.

The prototypical WCO quarterback is JP Losman, not Philip Rivers.

Who said Joe Montana had a weak arm? He didn't have a Marino arm but he made a lot of comebacks by throwing deep passes. He was also an acurate quarterback and made the throws with no problem. He also had the ability to move around the pocket which made him a good qb.

:eek: :yell: It's only May, It's only May, It's Only May, It's only May, It's only May. Those of you panicking over Boston and Feely Please read. ^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Feeley would win hands down.

He's smarter, makes quicker decisions, and gets the ball to his receivers. Jay makes to many costly stupid mistakes.
You just can't have that in a starting quarterback, and he's showed time, and time again, when the game is on the line, that he can't get it done consistently.

Back
Top Bottom