Who's the best GM in football? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's the best GM in football?

EireTiger

Starter
Reaction score
My vote goes to Ozzie Newsome. His trades and balancing of the cap are nice and his drafting has been solid. As per ESPN:

"Not counting the selection of guard Ben Grubbs last month, Ozzie Newsome has chosen 13 players in the first round of NFL drafts since being named the Baltimore Ravens' vice president of player personnel (and subsequently general manager) in 1996. Of those 13 players, eight have been to the Pro Bowl, seven have been to multiple Pro Bowls and the total Pro Bowl appearances the group has accumulated is 32. The list of Ravens' first-round Pro Bowl performers Newsome has selected: offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden (1996), 10 games; middle linebacker Ray Lewis (1996), seven; outside linebacker Peter Boulware (1997), four; cornerback Chris McAlister (1999), three; strong safety Ed Reed (2002), three; tight end Todd Heap (2001), two; linebacker/defensive end Terrell Suggs (2003), two; and tailback Jamal Lewis (2000), one. "

Bill Polian and Scott Pioli also come to mind............any thoughts?

AJ Smith...

The guy has been outstanding for them. The talent they have aquired is great. Plus... the draft day trades? They have traded down from the #1 overall pick twice... and aquired LT for Vick... and Rivers and Merriman for Eli Manning...

But Ozze I think is a close 2nd...

Scott Pioli(3 superbowls says it all)
Colt's Gm(they done a great job loading up that offense for Peyton Manning)

even though im happy with Mueler...i really wish we coulda payed an arm and a leg to get Pioli from the pats..

which if i had to say what one is best it would be Newsome

even though he just plugs people in around Ray Lewis

yea i agree with the pats gm im blanking on his name but 3 super bowls with no superstars rly not any big huge superstars or huge free agent signings until this year

Mike Shannihan, Denver Broncos, although I am not sure if he is still GM and coach? He always seemed to make a lot of good personnel moves in acquiring players through free agency and trades, but not always the best at the draft.

I think Phil Savage of the Browns is one of the better gms in football and had a big hand in building the Ravens team. I personally wish we had tried to sign Savage when he was available. He had two solid drafts before this year and this year he definately hit a home run by getting a possible franchise left tackle and a possible franchise Qb.

scott piolli ....he is 41 now so by the time gets to this other guys age what do you project ?

There are only 2 candidates: Pioli and Polian.

Pioli has a short, but probably a more brilliant record than any GM in NFL history. He put the Pats on a winning track in 2000, and hasn't looked back, including 3 SBs

Polian has a longer track record:
he built the Bills into an AFC powerhouse back in the early 1990s with 4 SB appearances
he built the expansion Carolina team into an early winner (I think they made the playoffs in their first or second season)
he built the Indy Colts into a consistent AFC powerhouse over the last 7 years and 1 SB win

Oh, yeah, both of these guys know how to pick coaches! Nobody else is even close ...

Dave Wanstedt
Matt Millen
Rick Speilman.

Isn't it opposite day?

Back
Top Bottom