Who's the best GM in football? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's the best GM in football?

AJ Smith.

Not even a close second. Look at his recent drafts.Nobody touches him!

AJ Smith.

How many playoff wins do his teams have? I believe the only coach he's had in SD is Schottenheimer, and I think Marty was John Butler's choice (and AJ couldn't get along with him). Now he's got Norv Turner.

Sorry, but Smith's record doesn't come close to Pioli's or Polian's, even though he's been SD's GM about as long as Pioli. His teams haven't performed well in the playoffs, much less won any SBs. His ability to pick good HCs is unknown. He hasn't shown that he can keep that talent together in the face of the salary cap and free agency.

RICK SPIELMAN,
clear.gif

AJ Smith.

You give AJ too much credit, credit that should go to John Butler, his mentor and predecessor.

AJ did pull off the Manning deal, but that was more the stupidity of the Giants than anything else. Of course, picking #1 when a 'talent' like Vick is available helped make his early successes possible. Besides that deal, he did take Merriman and Castillo, who many GMs took off their boards because of their histories.

LT was Butlers guy. He was the one that engineered the amazing swap of picks that got SD on the board - Vick for LT & Brees, plus multiple other picks. He was also responsible for Donnie Edwards & Lorenzo Neal, among others.

As to AJ's recent drafts, lets see how his picks outside the top 15 do.

Pioli has been magic in the 1st rd, even though the Pats have picked late since 2001. I cannot begin to imagine what type of talent he could have brought to the Pats with successive top ten picks. His last one was Seymour. He worked out pretty well. :D

Pioli has been very good for the Patriots, but a lot of that has to do with hitting big on a coach that no one else gave credit to. Bill Polian has done more consistently, taking three different teams and making them great. Peyton over Leaf, Edgerrin over Williams. Everyone questioned him, but not now.

Pioli is probably the best at building a team. Polian? C'mon, that is Peyton Mannings team...Polian has beeen good, but far from great IMO. Newsome has probably been the best at drafting talent and keeping that defense that good is just incredible.

Pioli is probably the best at building a team. Polian? C'mon, that is Peyton Mannings team...Polian has beeen good, but far from great IMO. Newsome has probably been the best at drafting talent and keeping that defense that good is just incredible.

Who drafted Manning?

And Freeney, Wayne, E.James, Addai, Bob Sanders?

Polian made that team what it is, not just Peyton Manning.

Rick Spielman... ahahahahaha just kidding i'd have to go with Pioli (sp?)

Back
Top Bottom