Who's The Most Underrated Coach in NFL | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's The Most Underrated Coach in NFL

Well....If we didn't have Saban...My vote for Dolphin head coach would be Marvin Lewis...But I'm not sure he's underrated...He gets his props. I'm surprised more with Jack Del Rio than anyone...I would probably say he's underrated at this point...but not for long if his defense keeps it up.

Here's the problem with a subject like this: no one can agree on who's an "underrated coach". Hell with it, here are the 10 best coaches in the NFL, in order:

1. Belichick (duh)
2. Parcells (no one's better at getting something out of nothing)
3. Reid (no one's better at winning with a squad that looks like a MASH unit)
4. Vermeil (actually, he might be the most underrated; NO ONE talks about him)
5. Fisher
6. Gruden (I think he's overrated, personally, but can't argue with the bling)
7. Lewis
8. Fox
9. Saban (sure to move up, but the guy's only been a coach for 3 games)
10. Cowher (can't argue with the success, but too many brain cramps in crucial moments)

phunwin said:
Here's the problem with a subject like this: no one can agree on who's an "underrated coach". Hell with it, here are the 10 best coaches in the NFL, in order:

1. Belichick (duh)
5. Fisher
7. Lewis
8. Fox
10. Cowher (can't argue with the success, but too many brain cramps in crucial moments)

I would have Cowher higher than that but that's just me.....No way Fisher is better than Cowher.

phunwin said:

1. Belichick (duh)
5. Fisher
7. Lewis
8. Fox

Saban has coached 3 games and he is #9 of all the coaches? Come on give him a little time to prove himself. Also, Lewis has never eevn been to a playoff game, how can you rank him top 10?

nyjunc said:
Saban has coached 3 games and he is #9 of all the coaches? Come on give him a little time to prove himself. Also, Lewis has never eevn been to a playoff game, how can you rank him top 10?

I have to balance two things here:
1. past success (obviously)
2. the "with one game to win, who would I pick" factor

If I had to win one NFL game and could pick a coach, Saban would come out higher than anyone but the top 4 guys. But, because he's been a coach for exactly three games, I have to knock him down some.

I like Lewis a lot because he took a terrible team that was a historical loser and made them believe in themselves. That's as hard as anything. I also think that few coaches have ever done a better job of handling the "veteran to rookie" QB transition.

CsonkaClone said:
I would have Cowher higher than that but that's just me.....No way Fisher is better than Cowher.

Cowher's overrated. Watch a Pittsburgh playoff game; you can usually see the choke coming from a mile away. Even so, he usually finds a way to win, but he makes gutless calls at the wrong time. I hesitated even putting him on the list; Jim Mora Jr. was waiting in the wings.

Schottenheimer never wins in the playoffs, i have to love the turn around that Del Rio has had the Jags making, they are a good team and will be good for years to come, and he's done a very good job coaching job.

Schottenhiemer's teams have routinely choked in playoff games, thats why people don't rate him that high. He seems to get teams to the point where they are good but never seems to win big games and makes really conservative decisions. His teams have lost so many games that they were ahead in that its hard to say hes a great coach. Makes some very questionable gameday calls.
Lewis isnt underrated, people know how good he is. Im not sure theres too many underrated NFL coaches, they get credit when they win, unlike other sports the coaches in the NFL get tons of credit for winning. Any coaches without even a playoff victory don't belong in this discussion period.

Billick should be on the top 10 list In my Opinion. What he did with the Ravens team leading them to win Super Bowl 35. He always puts up a winning team on the Field, and gets the most out of his players. My Top 10 coaches:
1. Belichick
2. Reid
3. Parcells
4. Cower
5. Shananhan
6. Gruden
7. Billick
8. Vermeil
9. Fisher
10. Fox

Jim Mora (His name actually isn't Jr.), Jeff Fisher, Jack Del Rio, Dick Vermeil, Andy Reid, Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher, and John Fox just to name a few.

painnotpleasure said:
...Dick Vermeil, Andy Reid, Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher, and John Fox just to name a few.

can you explain to us how any of those coaches are underrated?

You might as well add Bill Belichick to that list.

Back
Top Bottom