Why did we go for 2? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why did we go for 2?

To go up be three scores, to work on our goal line offense, because it was the right choice take your pick. Or maybe philbin was going against carpenter in his fantasy league

Wtf is the matter with you donkeys? Being up by 19 or 20 makes no difference. Being up 21 might make a difference. God Dam I hope none of our players are as dim witted as some of you idiots questioning our head coach.

Coaches are doing that now, going for 2 when up 19. I've been secretly hoping someone gets burned by missing it, when the opponent strings together two 8s and a 3 for overtime. That would be hilarious, and apropos.

The idiotic decision yesterday was courtesy of John Harbaugh. The Ravens scored with 4:08 remaining to cut the deficit to 34-16. Instead of going for 2 to make it a 2-score game, Harbaugh had already conceded and meekly kicked the extra point for 34-17.

We're 5-8. There's almost nothing left to lose here, guys. We had 22 points, and two points put us up by three touchdowns.

This is the time of the year to evaluate some of our roster for next season. It is also a time to get some real game practice going. We still have a mathematical chance to make the playoffs. Are we going to make the playoffs? Hell no. There's no better time to get game-like experience than in a game. Simple as that.

Coaches are doing that now, going for 2 when up 19. I've been secretly hoping someone gets burned by missing it, when the opponent strings together two 8s and a 3 for overtime. That would be hilarious, and apropos.

The idiotic decision yesterday was courtesy of John Harbaugh. The Ravens scored with 4:08 remaining to cut the deficit to 34-16. Instead of going for 2 to make it a 2-score game, Harbaugh had already conceded and meekly kicked the extra point for 34-17.

The odds that we miss our 2pt, they make both of theirs and kick a field goal and beat us in OT can't be better than them just scoring 3 TDs for the win.

Speaking of the Harbaughs, in the 49ers game at the end of the first half it was 4th and 4 or something at about New Englands 17 Harbaugh left his Offense out daring Belichick to call a timeout and let the clock run all the way down before he called a TO himself. During the break I was saying how brilliant Harbaugh is and its little things like that that make a big difference in a lot of games. Come to find out after the break it was actually third down and Harbaugh just wasted a bunch of time and a timeout which of course ended up with them having to kick a field goal from the 1 yard line cause they ran out of time.

It was really late in the game - I really think the #1 reason they ran it was for the repetition in a real game situation that didn't matter that much. There was about 4 minutes left, the Jags weren't coming back, it was more about punching it in from the 2 yard line when we needed to. The practice, the repetition, the live in-game scenario... doesn't get any more real than that.

It was a good idea.

You don't need to over think it, he went for 2 because the situation dictated you go for 2, thats it. If people feel the need to second guess everything the coach does they should at least do it over something subjective, like picking up candy wrappers off the field. Going for 2 in that spot is completely black and white and the coach is in the right.

I think we were in control of the game, and special teams wanted to work on some plays against a "live" defense - as opposed to a "practice" defense. This would also explain the fake field goal attempt. I liked that call, as we were down close to the goal line and our D was playing very well. The throw by Fields? OMG .... I think somebody in row 5 caught that ball.

I think Philbin saw an opportunity to get his team some extra work and went for it. The game was in all practical purposes over, so why not. It gave the entire offense one more quality rep and we havent seen that play this year.

I've never been able to grasp why in football the concept of running up the score is such a no-no.

you should keep giving your best till the fat lady sings, IMO. Make yourself feared by the opponent you are playing and the opponent you are yet to play.

The idea that scoring a bucketful on a opponent is unedifying, ungracious, unsportsmanlike or whatever, is ridiculous. Would you prefer to be beaten well by a good team or to be pitied by them and patronisingly allowed to lose by less?

a slight diversion from the OP, I know, but a bugbear of mine!

I've never been able to grasp why in football the concept of running up the score is such a no-no.

you should keep giving your best till the fat lady sings, IMO. Make yourself feared by the opponent you are playing and the opponent you are yet to play.

The idea that scoring a bucketful on a opponent is unedifying, ungracious, unsportsmanlike or whatever, is ridiculous. Would you prefer to be beaten well by a good team or to be pitied by them and patronisingly allowed to lose by less?

a slight diversion from the OP, I know, but a bugbear of mine!

Totally agree. If I was Belichick my standard response would be "I'll stop trying to score points when they stop trying to score points"

Back
Top Bottom