Why Do People Hate Athletic QB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Do People Hate Athletic QB's

Alex44

Chicago Bears GM
Reaction score
Just a question to all you old timers who think just because a QB can run he is no good

Why do you automatically assume a guy who is fast

A- Isnt smart enough

B- Cant Throw Well Enough

C- Should be a reciever

D- All of the above

Why do you automatically think this way

I bet if Marino ran a 4.2 you all would have hated the way he played, or if Brees was a fast guy you wouldnt want him on your team

Noone hates an athletic QB. All QBs are athletic. I don't know if there is a non-athletic person in the NFL. There have been some great running QBs: Elway, Cunningham, Young, Tarkenton. But none of them, not even Cunningham, had a run first mentality. They were good QBs who could also stand in the pocket, be patient, let the play develop, THEN decide to run if it wasn't there. If you look at a guy like Vick, it looks obvious that he is ready to run. His mentality is just set that way. He has no patience and doesn't scan the field particularly well and depends too much on moving around to make passes when he should be letting plays develop to make his throws. He takes ALOT of hits and a lot of sacks because he doesn't have the patience to stand in there and deliver the ball. He has never developed a trust in the pocket because his natural first instinct is to take off. This has been embedded in his head. Also, even though Vick has a cannon arm, he is not particularly accurate nor is he consistent.
What really triggers these guys to take off so quickly is that the speed of the NFL is leaps and bounds above the college level and it just makes their natural defense kick in that much faster and they are off to the races. To top it all off, I just think Vick was and is over-rated anyway. He's simply not that good. He is living off Hype. Any other QB who is as inconsistent as he is would be deeper under the microscope.

Because fast QBs who run all the time never throw and when they do finally throw its a crappy pass.

SCall13 said:
Noone hates an athletic QB. All QBs are athletic. I don't know if there is a non-athletic person in the NFL. There have been some great running QBs: Elway, Cunningham, Young, Tarkenton. But none of them, not even Cunningham, had a run first mentality. They were good QBs who could also stand in the pocket, be patient, let the play develop, THEN decide to run if it wasn't there. If you look at a guy like Vick, it looks obvious that he is ready to run. His mentality is just set that way. He has no patience and doesn't scan the field particularly well and depends too much on moving around to make passes when he should be letting plays develop to make his throws. He takes ALOT of hits and a lot of sacks because he doesn't have the patience to stand in there and deliver the ball. He has never developed a trust in the pocket because his natural first instinct is to take off. This has been embedded in his head. Also, even though Vick has a cannon arm, he is not particularly accurate nor is he consistent.
What really triggers these guys to take off so quickly is that the speed of the NFL is leaps and bounds above the college level and it just makes their natural defense kick in that much faster and they are off to the races. To top it all off, I just think Vick was and is over-rated anyway. He's simply not that good. He is living off Hype. Any other QB who is as inconsistent as he is would be deeper under the microscope.

Good anwser

But I think there are also impatient QB's that arent runners that try and force things with their arm, so in a way an impatient running QB is somewhat better than an impatient pocket passer

My main problem is that people assume because a guy CAN run means he has a run first mentality, without looking at what kind of a system he played in, what the play calls were, and so on

A lot of the more athletic QB's dont have the same type of recievers put around them as well and tend to have to put everything on their shoulders, while as Peyton Manning has a golden arm but needs so much talent around him to succeed

I know im going to get Bashed for this BUT

I would take a Mcnabb over a Manning any day if I had an Offense like the Colts

Alex22 said:
Good anwser

But I think there are also impatient QB's that arent runners that try and force things with their arm, so in a way an impatient running QB is somewhat better than an impatient pocket passer

My main problem is that people assume because a guy CAN run means he has a run first mentality, without looking at what kind of a system he played in, what the play calls were, and so on

A lot of the more athletic QB's dont have the same type of recievers put around them as well and tend to have to put everything on their shoulders, while as Peyton Manning has a golden arm but needs so much talent around him to succeed

Manning would be a success with any team in the leauge, althoug his #'s benefit from his team. He's still the most talented QB in the league and McNabb doesnt have anything on him.

Alex22 said:
Good anwser

mannings one of the best qbs ever

ih8brady said:
Manning would be a success with any team in the leauge, althoug his #'s benefit from his team. He's still the most talented QB in the league and McNabb doesnt have anything on him.

If Mcnabb was on the Colts they would have had the same success

Mcnabb brings MORE to the table because of his ability to run when a play breaks down, rather than taking sack after sack like Manning against the Blitz

Alex22 said:
If Mcnabb was on the Colts they would have had the same success

Mcnabb brings MORE to the table because of his ability to run when a play breaks down, rather than taking sack after sack like Manning against the Blitz

Yeah but McNabb doesn't read the Defenses like Manning does, so that aspect would be taken away from the Colts.

Also, I think people dislike the run and gun QBs because they aren't the traditional QBs, like back in their days.

Prime Time said:
Yeah but McNabb doesn't read the Defenses like Manning does, so that aspect would be taken away from the Colts.

Also, I think people dislike the run and gun QBs because they aren't the traditional QBs, like back in their days.

I sort of disagree with that

He doesnt read defenses as well, but its not a HUGE drop off really, but Peyton does have him in that category

In mcnabbs one year with a good WR he was in the superbowl and he played great the whole year

Now what if he had a running game like manning did , and Reggie Wayne on the other side?

Alex22 said:
Just a question to all you old timers who think just because a QB can run he is no good

Why do you automatically assume a guy who is fast

A- Isnt smart enough

B- Cant Throw Well Enough

C- Should be a reciever

D- All of the above

Why do you automatically think this way

I bet if Marino ran a 4.2 you all would have hated the way he played, or if Brees was a fast guy you wouldnt want him on your team

First of all the quaterbacks job is to throw touchdown passes not run them.

Alex22 said:
I sort of disagree with that

He doesnt read defenses as well, but its not a HUGE drop off really, but Peyton does have him in that category

In mcnabbs one year with a good WR he was in the superbowl and he played great the whole year

Now what if he had a running game like manning did , and Reggie Wayne on the other side?
It is a pretty big drop off. Manning is one of the best players in the history of the NFL at reading defences. The guy is extremly smart and spends a lot of time just watching tape and studying it by himself. Also idk if it is true but it seems Mcnabb as been sacked more than Peyton has.

Back
Top Bottom