Why Do People Hate Athletic QB's | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Do People Hate Athletic QB's

HysterikiLL said:
Ask Rush Limbaugh

:yeahthat:

On a serious note, anyone who thinks that Donovan McNabb is a better QB than Peyton Manning just because he can run, is obviously blindsided by the media's perception that all QB's must be able to run a 4.5 40 time.

Donovan McNabb will never be the QB Peyton is. Heck, he isn't even one of the top 15 QB's in the league. His QB rating on average is about 78. Rush Limbaugh hit the nail on the head when he said what he said, but in these days and times you can't say those kind of things anymore I guess.:confused2

technically an immobile QB like Drew Bledsoe is athletic. Are you saying he's not in outstanding shape? give me a break, you should replace athletic with fast or running.

Alex22 said:
Just a question to all you old timers who think just because a QB can run he is no good

Why do you automatically assume a guy who is fast

A- Isnt smart enough

B- Cant Throw Well Enough

C- Should be a reciever

D- All of the above

Why do you automatically think this way

I bet if Marino ran a 4.2 you all would have hated the way he played, or if Brees was a fast guy you wouldnt want him on your team

Alex, what makes you presume that all of us "old-timers" think that way. I like any athlete who plays to the best of his ability. If we draft or otherwise acquire a QB that can pass short and deep accurately, run fast and when required and is a good reader of defense's, then I am extremely happy.

Now that that has been said - where do we find this guy? :goof:

I dont hate fast QBs. I like McNabb a lot. He is top 5 to me. Look what he did with a top WR. I just dont like Vince Young. Thats why it may come off that I "hate athletic QBs"

I don't have a problem with athletic QBs, i have a problem with overhyped QBs that are run first ask questions later QBs. The kinda QB that makes one read then runs. I like a QB that can run for a first down IF the pocket BREAKS DOWN, but not as the second option.

Like Rothlisburger in the superbowl, the pocket broke down, he ran out of it didn't cross the LOS and threw the ball to Ward to the goal line. If he woulda ran he only woulda got a few yards before he was stopped.
Or McNabb against the Cowboys. he ran all over hell found a WR and made big play.
Steve Young a mobile guy who buys time and only runs when the passing options are gone. Same with Mcnair, he learned running only gets you injured more often.

You are confusing the two (don't feel bad alot do) I loved that fiedler with no other option to pass to took off running for a TD against Oakland and won the game. there is nothing wrong with that. It's the QBs that can't read defenses or panic and don't make there reads and run, when 15 yards down the field he had a guy wide open.

Alex22 said:
I sort of disagree with that

He doesnt read defenses as well, but its not a HUGE drop off really, but Peyton does have him in that category

In mcnabbs one year with a good WR he was in the superbowl and he played great the whole year

Now what if he had a running game like manning did , and Reggie Wayne on the other side?

You are contradicting yourself. You say you disagree with it, but then you say Manning is better. Manning looks how the Defense is set up and just adjusts. It is really unbelievable how he does it.

Athletic QBs like Vick are fun to watch, but that doesn't mean that they know how to win. Too many of these athletic QB's fumble the ball and throw way too many INT's trying to do too much.

NorthFloridaFin said:

On a serious note, anyone who thinks that Donovan McNabb is a better QB than Peyton Manning just because he can run, is obviously blindsided by the media's perception that all QB's must be able to run a 4.5 40 time.

Donovan McNabb will never be the QB Peyton is. Heck, he isn't even one of the top 15 QB's in the league. His QB rating on average is about 78. Rush Limbaugh hit the nail on the head when he said what he said, but in these days and times you can't say those kind of things anymore I guess.:confused2

I agree with everything you said except about mcnabb being one of the top 15 QB's in the League i think he is in the top 10

Them legs only last so long then you are going to have to rely on your arm and when that happens M Vick will be warming the bench

College Linebackers and DEs = slower than the average college QB

NFL LBs and DEs = faster than some RBs

SCall13 said:
Noone hates an athletic QB. All QBs are athletic. I don't know if there is a non-athletic person in the NFL. There have been some great running QBs: Elway, Cunningham, Young, Tarkenton. But none of them, not even Cunningham, had a run first mentality. They were good QBs who could also stand in the pocket, be patient, let the play develop, THEN decide to run if it wasn't there. If you look at a guy like Vick, it looks obvious that he is ready to run. His mentality is just set that way. He has no patience and doesn't scan the field particularly well and depends too much on moving around to make passes when he should be letting plays develop to make his throws. He takes ALOT of hits and a lot of sacks because he doesn't have the patience to stand in there and deliver the ball. He has never developed a trust in the pocket because his natural first instinct is to take off. This has been embedded in his head. Also, even though Vick has a cannon arm, he is not particularly accurate nor is he consistent.
What really triggers these guys to take off so quickly is that the speed of the NFL is leaps and bounds above the college level and it just makes their natural defense kick in that much faster and they are off to the races. To top it all off, I just think Vick was and is over-rated anyway. He's simply not that good. He is living off Hype. Any other QB who is as inconsistent as he is would be deeper under the microscope.

Great answer. I like athletic QBs that can avoid a pass rush and buy time in the pocket to make a pass. What I don't like is a Qb that takes off running before they let the offensive system work like its supposed to. I'll take a pocket passer over a scrambler anyday, and twice on sundays.

NorthFloridaFin said:

No not just because he can run

Look at the offense Peyton plays in, and look at the Offense Mcnabb plays in, One Year with a decent offense and mcnabb was in the superbowl, I think you put Mcnabb on the Colts he has the same success if not more

Back
Top Bottom