Why Glenn Dorsey is NOT the right choice | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Glenn Dorsey is NOT the right choice

mandal24

Genesis
Reaction score
[mod] Draft threads go in the Draft forum. Thank you.[/mod]With the Miami Dolphins being converted into the Miami Cowboys, one must assume we will be using Dallas's defensive philosophy of a 3-4 defense.

So I thought I'd look at the most important position (IMO) in a 3-4 defense on the other 3-4 teams in the NFL... the Nose Tackle

Now keep in mind, Glenn Dorsey is 6'2, 300 lb

San Fransisco-Aubrayo Franklin 6'1, 335 lb (still transitioning into 3-4)
Cleveland- Shaun Smith 6'2, 325 lb
San Diego- Jamal Williams 6'3, 350 lb
New England- Vince Wilfork 6'2 325 lb
New York- Dewayne Robertson 6'1 320 lb
Dallas- Jason Ferguson 6'3 315 lb (still transitioning into 3-4)
Pittsburgh- Casey Hampton 6'1 325 lb

So with those numbers in mind, one does not need to know much about the 3-4 to know that a NT must be HUGE! and although Glenn Dorsey is a big man, he does not have the massive bulk a NT needs to stuff the run and shed blockers in a 3-4 defensive scheme... Simple as that.. I am in no way trying to bash Dorsey. The man is amazing, hes a beast but will be better fit as a DT for a 4-3 team. He is vastly undersized to play the NT position.

Best case scenario for this draft... trading with Dallas... we get their 2 first round picks and a third, they take our 1st round pick and take Mcfadden (Mcfadden is from Arkansas, Jerry Jones is an Arkansas Alum... connections?..plus Julius Jones is leaving)...That would be an amazing situation for the Fins to be in... I can dream can't I...
Finheavens back and Im lovin it

Last edited by a moderator:
With the Miami Dolphins being converted into the Miami Cowboys, one must assume we will be using Dallas's defensive philosophy of a 3-4 defense.

So I thought I'd look at the most important position (IMO) in a 3-4 defense on the other 3-4 teams in the NFL... the Nose Tackle

So with those numbers in mind, one does not need to know much about the 3-4 to know that a NT must be HUGE! and although Glenn Dorsey is a big man, he does not have the massive bulk a NT needs to stuff the run and shed blockers in a 3-4 defensive scheme... Simple as that.. I am in no way trying to bash Dorsey. The man is amazing, hes a beast but will be better fit as a DT for a 4-3 team. He is vastly undersized to play the NT position.

Best case scenario for this draft... trading with Dallas... we get their 2 first round picks and a third, they take our 1st round pick and take Mcfadden (Mcfadden is from Arkansas, Jerry Jones is an Arkansas Alum... connections?..plus Julius Jones is leaving)...That would be an amazing situation for the Fins to be in... I can dream can't I...

beautiful. but i would want some of their players too. i am talking fasano, williams, carpenter and spears plus what you said - i want to get the value for that pick.

With the Miami Dolphins being converted into the Miami Cowboys, one must assume we will be using Dallas's defensive philosophy of a 3-4 defense.

I think most people would agree that Dorsey is not a 3-4 NT. I don't know that that alone rules him out, because we don't really have the personnel to play a 3-4 anyway. I know Parcells used the 3-4 in Dallas and they prefer it, but if you don't have the personnel to play the 3-4, it wouldn't make sense to us it if your guys fit the 4-3 better... just my opinion though, I dont know who they really like right now...

I don't think Dorsey will be the pick either, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was.

oh wow he did? hmm interesting..still feel we can get a NT in round 2 or 3

No i said, im assuming we will be using the 3-4 defense

[mod] Draft threads go in the Draft forum. Thank you.[/mod]With the Miami Dolphins being converted into the Miami Cowboys, one must assume we will be using Dallas's defensive philosophy of a 3-4 defense.

You don't think we could bulk him up 25lbs? 6-2 325, seems like a good NT to me.

putting Dorsey at NT is insane

drafting a NT #1 is insane

stop the insanity

suuure lets just beef this guy up 25 lbs.. duno if its that easy.. on top of that hes injury prone.. this is asking for disaster

Okay if not Dorsey then who?

Dorsey rage dolls o-line reminiscent to guys like Warren Sapp and Reggie White. His talent is far above and beyond better then any other DT/NT in this draft. Ellis being a distant second. This D-line is lacking ball players, Dorsey is not only a ball player but he's stud. I don't care if we go to a 3-4 or a 4-3 when he's on the field he'll make plays!

What I feel like we need is a Bad A offensive lineman. The best quarterbacks in NFL history are the ones that are given time to do their job! They can't do that from their back side.

Okay if not Dorsey then who?

Dorsey rage dolls o-line reminiscent to guys like Warren Sapp and Reggie White. His talent is far above and beyond better then any other DT/NT in this draft. Ellis being a distant second. This D-line is lacking ball players, Dorsey is not only a ball player but he's stud. I don't care if we go to a 3-4 or a 4-3 when he's on the field he'll make plays!

I still think Chris Long is the best prospect in this draft....

Glenn Dorsey is 6'2, 316lbs.

He's a NT, an end on both sides, a 3 technique. Miami isn't going to play a pure 3-4, much as Dallas didn't - the same Dallas who played with a starting NT/DT in Jay Ratliff who was 298lbs. You move Dorsey all around the formation to work in what will likely be a 2 gap defense. He will need to be accounted for on every play.

Back
Top Bottom