Why is Notre Dame ranked so high? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is Notre Dame ranked so high?

PSUFinFan said:
Penn State's happend on the last play of the game on the road.

So did NDs losses except they were at home..anyway in the poll that really matters PSU is ranked 7th and you can't argue there so anything the media thinks in almost moot point. I have no problem with ND ranking or PSU or Florida or anyone in the top 15 for that matter. I don't however see a bias for ND anywhere, and I personally dislike ND, but that offense is second to only 1 in the nation and fun to watch.

kastofsna120 said:
well the georga/florida game is on a neutral field

Yeah I guess it was, according to both teams schedule, which was what I was going by, the game was at Flordia even though it was played in Jacksonville. The question becomes where there more Georgia fans or Florida fans.

PSUFinFan said:
Yeah I guess it was, according to both teams schedule, which was what I was going by, the game was at Flordia even though it was played in Jacksonville. The question becomes where there more Georgia fans or Florida fans.

It is usually about 50/50 from what I've seen.

ether79 said:
So did NDs lossES except they were at home..anyway in the poll that really matters PSU is ranked 7th and you can't argue there so anything the media thinks in almost moot point. I have no problem with ND ranking or PSU or Florida or anyone in the top 15 for that matter. I don't however see a bias for ND anywhere, and I personally dislike ND, but that offense is second to only 1 in the nation and fun to watch.

First off, they lost twice in that way, Penn State only once. Secondly, the polls besides the BCS are not moot, because they go in to calculating the BCS rankings. Im not saying that Penn State needs to be ranked higher, I am just saying two loss teams like Notre Dame shouldn't be ranked above teams with one tough loss like PSU, FSU, and UG. Notre Dame could even be arguably behind teams like Ohio State and Florida who's losses came against two top ten teams.

PSUFinFan said:
First off, they lost twice in that way, Penn State only once. Secondly, the polls besides the BCS are not moot, because they go in to calculating the BCS rankings. Im not saying that Penn State needs to be ranked higher, I am just saying two loss teams like Notre Dame shouldn't be ranked above teams with one tough loss like PSU, FSU, and UG. Notre Dame could even be arguably behind teams like Ohio State and Florida who's losses came against two top ten teams.

I know they lost twice and the polls are only 1/3 so if PSU, FSU and other teams deserve to be higher in the BCS those other things will usually overcome the human polls, with some exceptions. IMO they human rankings are fine, IYO they aren't. I guess there is really no way to get around our disagreement on this. THey won on the road where Penn St. could not and you guys will play the 1st team that beat ND. If you guys win out and ND wins out I would guess that in the end PSU will be ranked over ND in EVERY poll.

ether79 said:
I know they lost twice and the polls are only 1/3 so if PSU, FSU and other teams deserve to be higher in the BCS those other things will usually overcome the human polls, with some exceptions. IMO they human rankings are fine, IYO they aren't. I guess there is really no way to get around our disagreement on this. THey won on the road where Penn St. could not and you guys will play the 1st team that beat ND. If you guys win out and ND wins out I would guess that in the end PSU will be ranked over ND in EVERY poll.

I guess we will agree to disagree.

One small note though, the BCS formula is 1/3 USA Today poll, 1/3 Harris Poll, and 1/3 the combination of 6 computer polls. So human polls make up 2/3 which have for the most part favored ND over the other three teams I mentioned.

PSUFinFan said:
I guess we will agree to disagree.

One small note though, the BCS formula is 1/3 USA Today poll, 1/3 Harris Poll, and 1/3 the combination of 6 computer polls. So human polls make up 2/3 which have for the most part favored ND over the other three teams I mentioned.

Right, my bad on the misstatement, but like I said if you win out PSU will finish higher than ND in ALL the rankings.

now im a ND fan by default because my cousin plays there but the fnniest thing i read over the weekend was

"Weis got a 10 year extension after starting the season 5-2. Willingham got a pat on the back after starting 8-0." I LMAO

Slappy8800 said:
now im a ND fan by default because my cousin plays there but the fnniest thing i read over the weekend was

"Weis got a 10 year extension after starting the season 5-2. Willingham got a pat on the back after starting 8-0." I LMAO

Which guy is your cousin?? If you don't mind me asking.

Every team ND has played was ranked at some point during the season except BYU. Were some of those teams overrated, yes, but on paper just look at the rankings when they played some of them and it is impressive. Add to that they beat all those teams on the road and it is even more impressive. Throw into that the way they played against USC, and the fact that ND being in the top 10 and in a BCS game is really good for college football and you see why they are ranked where they are. Is it a bit high, probably, do I care? Not at all :) But ND in the Fiesta Bowl or any BCS game makes more money than a lot of the teams that have been mentioned who you say should be ranked ahead of ND.

urban meyer is nothing but an urban myth. He cant cut in it the SEC and has lucked out so bad still being in the race for #1 due to Shockley going down. As for Chris Leak, he's a good athlete but definitely way overrated. I remember at the beginning of the year hearing all this heisman talk around him and what was I doing?? :lol: And what am I still doing?? :lol: The Gators always get so much hype especially now with Urban Myth coaching em. I hope to see them lose again Thanksgiving weekend against the Noles.

Bellson said:
urban meyer is nothing but an urban myth. He cant cut in it the SEC and has lucked out so bad still being in the race for #1 due to Shockley going down. As for Chris Leak, he's a good athlete but definitely way overrated. I remember at the beginning of the year hearing all this heisman talk around him and what was I doing?? :lol: And what am I still doing?? :lol: The Gators always get so much hype especially now with Urban Myth coaching em. I hope to see them lose again Thanksgiving weekend against the Noles.
the georgia game proved just how good of a coach urban meyer is. he knew arkansas ran all up and down on georgia the week before, so instead of playing the option, he switched to pounding the ball down their throats. guess what? it worked

While there is a bias in favor of ND, there is also a definite bias against PennState and the BigTen in general.

All season long, if you doubled PSU's BCS computer ranking, that's roughly where their 2 human poll rankings were. Now PSU is rated 3rd by computer, but the human polls have them rated 5th. With a 2-1 top 10 record and 5-1 top 30 record, PSU's schedule strength and record versus rated teams is far superior to Miami and LSU, yet the biased human polls have these two teams rated higher. Look at the BCS computer numbers...Miami is 5th and LSU is all the way back at 8th.

axemanv90 said:
While there is a bias in favor of ND, there is also a definite bias against PennState and the BigTen in general.

All season long, if you doubled PSU's BCS computer ranking, that's roughly where their 2 human poll rankings were. Now PSU is rated 3rd by computer, but the human polls have them rated 5th. With a 2-1 top 10 record and 5-1 top 30 record, PSU's schedule strength and record versus rated teams is far superior to Miami and LSU, yet the biased human polls have these two teams rated higher. Look at the BCS computer numbers...Miami is 5th and LSU is all the way back at 8th.
i think that's because miami and LSU are better than penn state

Back
Top Bottom