Why not run the WCO? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why not run the WCO?

Should we run the WCO with Jay at the helm?

• Yes, it's time to try that option.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • No, Jay wouldn't be good at that either.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • No, I don't care if Jay would be better at that -- I just want him gone

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • What's the WCO?

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy James

You sit on a throne of lies!
Reaction score
In the middle of all the Jay Fiedler discussion yesterday, somebody mentioned that they thought Jay would be better suited to the WCO. I have actually had that thought before myself, but I'm not certain it is true. Why not have a poll to sort it out?

man, are you joking? No offense intended but Jay would not be able to run the WCO very well at all. WCO QBs must be accurate and snappy with their short and midrange passing. Jay has about half the arm it takes to deliver with the necessary zip. IMO Jay's strength as a passer has always been passes in the 10-20 yard range

Marc Trestman is a WCO guy. AJ Feeley is a WCO guy. You do the math.

Jay has long lived out his welcome here.

Why is it people keep pegging weak armed QBs for the west coast offense when the guys that are having the most success in the west coast offense are guys with strong arms like Young, McNabb, Gannon, Elway, etc. I think its time to put that myth to rest. Stick a fork in her. Just because Montana was successful in the West Coast Offense it doesn't mean weak-armed guys will automatically be successful in it. Only guy I can think of that fit the Montana mold in recent memory is Chad Pennington, who is so damned accurate it doesn't matter what distance he's throwing from.

If anything, I think Fiedler would be even worse as a WCO QB. No way. Doesn't have the strength, accurancy or quick-thinking-smarts to run it well.
I think it would be UGLY.

Where's the "I don't know" option?

I meant to include an "other (explain)" option, but then I decided to get cute about the WCO. Sorry to leave you out...

Iryman said:
I have a feeling that this is going to get ugly
:couch:

Why should taking the Jay thread in a new direction result in something ugly? I would hope that it might actually lead us to interesting places.

Jimmy James said:
Why should taking the Jay thread in a new direction result in something ugly? I would hope that it might actually lead us to interesting places.

Oh i think that it might but i think that it might also bring Jay haters to a new level. LOL. Actaully i am not sure how we as a team would do in a WCO. In a WCO you are sending more guys out. Which means less blockers. As of now our o-line is still unproven. Hopefully they are better than the last squad but that is yet to be seen untill pads get on. I just think less blockers means bigger probs for whoever is behind the center at miami untill the o-line is set.

Ira

I personally think the prototypical WCO quarterback is like JP Losman. He's your next Brett Favre, John Elway, Steve Young, Donovan McNabb, Rich Gannon, (Jeff George), type. Unfortunately for him, and the Bills, he was not drafted into a WCO system where he can put his talents on display. I predict he will give Buffalo fans something to believe in, and slowly break their hearts (as well as the coach's careers).

Just had a thought......

If the offense does not improve......

Collier might be the next "scape goat" with Trestman and the WCO waiting in the wings.

I don't like the idea of using the WCO in Miami. We are a running team, and West Coast Offenses are known for passing. If the Dolphins wanted to go to a WCO, Trestman would be our offensive coordinator right now, not our quarterbacks coach.

Back
Top Bottom