Why not run the WCO? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why not run the WCO?

Should we run the WCO with Jay at the helm?

• Yes, it's time to try that option.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • No, Jay wouldn't be good at that either.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • No, I don't care if Jay would be better at that -- I just want him gone

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • What's the WCO?

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First of all, I'm not sure if Wanny knows what WCO stands for. Don't confuse the guy anymore. Let his OC take care of the O.

Jimmy James said:
In the middle of all the Jay Fiedler discussion yesterday, somebody mentioned that they thought Jay would be better suited to the WCO. I have actually had that thought before myself, but I'm not certain it is true. Why not have a poll to sort it out?

if he had more than 1 receiver and better than 2/5 of a decent OL, he might be ok. I always thought success in the WCO was more decision making than arm strength....supposedly Montana never threw to the wrong guy, so his noodle arm didn't matter. Guys like Young & Gannon are eggheads as well.

Jay is smart enough, but as Gary Stevens used to say, "...you can't make chicken salad out of chicken $h!+"

Justasportsfan said:
First of all, I'm not sure if Wanny knows what WCO stands for. Don't confuse the guy anymore. Let his OC take care of the O.

I agree.....and I am a finfan.

Hell hath froze over my friend. :sr23:

No offense but....

I value the opinions of Johnny Majors, Ted Tollner, Jimmy Johnson, and Don Shula more than you two. :D

Okay, Okay I confess.....I just looked up his history for something else and just looked to plug the names in somewhere....

I don't know if he knows what WCO stands for neither...:D

I don't like the idea of using the WCO in Miami. We are a running team, and West Coast Offenses are known for passing. If the Dolphins wanted to go to a WCO, Trestman would be our offensive coordinator right now, not our quarterbacks coach.

I understand your trepidation, however I've seen enough WCO teams put up 1500 yard runningbacks to think that with the right RB and OL talent in a WCO you can still be a "running team"

Denver has been using a WCO for a long time now...they seem to have no trouble being a running team. Trestman wasn't the type of WCO coordinator to make use of the running game like they do in Denver though.

Jimmy James said:
I meant to include an "other (explain)" option, but then I decided to get cute about the WCO. Sorry to leave you out...

:mad:

:) It's all good, no worries.

Jimmy James said:
In the middle of all the Jay Fiedler discussion yesterday, somebody mentioned that they thought Jay would be better suited to the WCO. I have actually had that thought before myself, but I'm not certain it is true. Why not have a poll to sort it out?

We play on the EAST COAST.

Think man, think.

Running the west coast offense would negate Ricky Williams's strengths in the running game. He is a trap running, counter running tailback that does his best when he is getting the ball 25-30 times a game.

The west coast offense, or what many falsely call the west coast offense, is an offense that utilizes the passing game as the means of ball control.

The true west coast offense is the offense that was created by Sid Gillman and passed on to Don Coryell, Joe Gibbs, Ernie Zampese, and yes, Norv Turner. Bill Walsh's offense is a spin off that he created because he didn't have a QB with the arm to run the vertical passing game that Gillman's offense needed.

Isn't the claim that we don't have a QB with the arm to run the vertical passing game that Gillman's offense needed?

I think there is some logic that you omitted from this post that you obviously followed to determine that the O didn't fit Ricky's style that just didn't make it here. If Walsh created a spin off and the original is good for Ricky's style, why wouldn't the spin off be?

Okay, we've talked about Jay's arm, his smart's, weather he's a good fit in a west coast O, is he a better backup, his injuries, his running ability, his heart, his competitiveness. his abilities vs Marino, tom b., Manning, Matt H., Warner, etc. We've talked about his height, his ears, his girlfriend, the fact he's from NY. We've marvel at his comebacks, his ints, his running TD's, his throwing TD's, the fact that he's Wanny's boy, his college, his beating the bills 6 times as a starter. If he would have lasted the whole year, the what if's. Is there any thing else, oh yea, why did we keep him, he should have been gone. 4 years is enough. his record as a fin, he grits, his getting boo..his steel armor clamness in the face of the fans and the opponenent. Okay is there anything else?

Jimmy James said:
Isn't the claim that we don't have a QB with the arm to run the vertical passing game that Gillman's offense needed?

I think there is some logic that you omitted from this post that you obviously followed to determine that the O didn't fit Ricky's style that just didn't make it here. If Walsh created a spin off and the original is good for Ricky's style, why wouldn't the spin off be?

The spin off is one that Walsh created because he had a weak armed quarterback in Cincinnati. Instead of basing things around a power running attack, he based his offense around the short passing attack.

Jimmy James said:

That's why they got AJ Feeley. He is a true pocket passer that has the arm to run Gillman's offense.

Back
Top Bottom