Why Ricky waited until a week before training camp | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Ricky waited until a week before training camp

blufftoni

F' Ricky !!!
Reaction score
It was more than a month ago that Ricky Williams knew he was going to retire from football. How recent did the Dolphins FO really know about it? ... I'd say it's been at least a week, maybe two. One simple reason - TICKET SALES. Dolphins individual ticket sales went on sale Saturday, conveniently Ricky informed the world on Sunday evening ... just enough time to sell out (or come close to) most games. The FO told Ricky to wait until Sunday.

From the FO side, it wouldn't surprise me if RS spent the last week trying to figure out who he is going to replace Ricky with, and it also wouldn't surprise me if already knows that answer and the deal will be finalized by Monday or Tuesday. And I even wonder if they tried to make an offer for George? We'll see in time who they get though.

Bottom line, Ricky screwed us all - fans, teammates, FO, Miami, etc. But I guarantee the FO covered this up a little longer because of ticket sales. Now, they better make a quick recovery, as we all know the Fins are in some serious trouble right now.

PS >>> I'm flying from New Jersey opening weekend to watch the Ricky-less Dolphins - boy is this disappointing!!!

That may be true but I'm sure we'll never know!!! If Speilman already has an answer and a deal is coming soon, it just makes the situation less suspenseful being that we woulnd't have to wait long. I'll tell you this though.... it makes the deal for David Boston even more important! If that deal hadn't of come through, we would be stuck with no Ricky and no good second wide out to compliment Chambers.... talk about doom and gloom! Things could be a lot worse.

blufftoni said:
It was more than a month ago that Ricky Williams knew he was going to retire from football. How recent did the Dolphins FO really know about it? ... I'd say it's been at least a week, maybe two. One simple reason - TICKET SALES. Dolphins individual ticket sales went on sale Saturday, conveniently Ricky informed the world on Sunday evening ... just enough time to sell out (or come close to) most games. The FO told Ricky to wait until Sunday.

From the FO side, it wouldn't surprise me if RS spent the last week trying to figure out who he is going to replace Ricky with, and it also wouldn't surprise me if already knows that answer and the deal will be finalized by Monday or Tuesday. And I even wonder if they tried to make an offer for George? We'll see in time who they get though.

Bottom line, Ricky screwed us all - fans, teammates, FO, Miami, etc. But I guarantee the FO covered this up a little longer because of ticket sales. Now, they better make a quick recovery, as we all know the Fins are in some serious trouble right now.

PS >>> I'm flying from New Jersey opening weekend to watch the Ricky-less Dolphins - boy is this disappointing!!!
Good theory but I don't buy it. Because Miami would have made a pitch to Eddie George to try and salvage the season if they knew about this before yesterday. Or have some running backs invited the facility to give them a workout.

ENOUGH PLEASE of the Heat and Marlins, and UM etc... talk. Not all Dolphin fans like the other Miami sports teams. It is NOT a comfort, but more like an insult. It's like trying to console a homless person with talks of buying your vacation house!

AZStryker said:
ENOUGH PLEASE of the Heat and Marlins, and UM etc... talk. Not all Dolphin fans like the other Miami sports teams. It is NOT a comfort, but more like an insult. It's like trying to console a homless person with talks of buying your vacation house!

you really shouldn't be a Dolphin fan if you don't like other Miami teams. It's called liking the hometeam.

blufftoni said:

I'm also flying from NJ down to a game, but I'm gonna watch the Ricky-less Phins crush the Jets, cant wait but a lil dissapointed

First of all there is nothing wrong with liking those teams, but I am only a football fan. I have never watched a basketball game in full and never will. Just don't like it. Baseball too. There are pleanty of fans in Miami who feel the same. location has nothing to do with who you should and should not like last time I checked! Re read my post and see that the only problem I have is people using apples to oranges, not slamming someone for liking other florida (hometown) teams.

AZStryker said:
That's an insult? Just trying to lighten up a depressing situation! Not worth getting a temper over it.

breath in, breath out... breath in, breath out

The original poster was trying to make some sense of the situation (essentially makes us feel better or lighten the mood). Consoling us with the fates of unrealted teams, however, has no positive influence. Insert The pats, jets, or bills instead of the teams you mentioned and how is that different? Or heck, Jags or Tampa for teams closer to home. Still doesn't make the situation any lighter! My apologies to the original poster and to the mods for getting this good post off track.

MikeO said:
Good theory but I don't buy it. Because Miami would have made a pitch to Eddie George to try and salvage the season if they knew about this before yesterday. Or have some running backs invited the facility to give them a workout.
In response to the Eddie George thing, I really think that RS was caught in a hard spot when George became a FA. He might have even made a small pitch for him, but overall he was probably just hoping that maybe he wouldn't sign anywhere that quickly. The FO definitely discussed IMO, but there was no way they could convince George to sign with them as long as Ricky was still a Fin, unless they let him know that Ricky was retiring. But if you were George, wouldn't you rather just go and play for Parcells in Dallas than deal with the unknown mess in Miami? Therefore, they couldn't sign George, and hence didn't even bother.

Back
Top Bottom