Why the disdain for Jake Long?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by normaniii, Nov 21, 2012.

1. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

On a roster where we are devoid of elite talent and rebuiliding with a rookie Head Coach & QB, why are we contstantly critisising a player who has the genuine ability to be a future Hall of Famer?

I understand the counter argument, that he is not playing at an elite level, due to injuries, zone blocking scheme etc and the fact he wants top tier money.

My argument is this. If Jake Long was a player who did not play through injury and we had a rookie Right Tackle ( J Martin) starting at LT, how much would the fans be craving for the return of Jake Long? People have to remember that this guy has played through injuries when most other would not have. Not just in games that matter but games that have no meaning what so ever (Sparano:crazy:).

In a contract year, Jake Long, before anybody else, would have realised he was not physically upto performing at his best this season. Yet we have heard no drama with demands for a new contract, rumours of wanting away or complaints about different schemes or having to play through injuries.

If Jake Long hits the open market, I have no doubt that franchises like the Steelers or Ravens would be clamouring after a LT, who has played elite 4/5 seasons, played through injuries, attracts no negative attention and is an ultimate team leader.

Out of any player on this roster, if you asked the question,...... which player would do you believe in, returning to his best ability after down season due to previous niggling injuries? I would come up with Jake Long immediately. I also believe most others would too.

2. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

Because one or 2 people with sway talk junk about him, and everyone else decides to pile on...

3. dolphone

dolphone In memoriam

Then again, Boselli never did.

The problem with Long is he's commanding an elite salary, and he's playing average to good. He's not even very good right now. And so he isn't earning his keep.

The context of course is that he's a free agent next year. Would you pay him top dollar (within a long term deal, which limits your ability to cut him later) *right now*? That's the main question.

4. dol-phan007

dol-phan007 Money is Power

He has not been at his best but the problem that no one is thinking about is who are you going to replace him with that is better and I dont want to use our first round pick on a LT. Every team in the NFL would look at picking him up if we just let him walk, so that is saying we would be stupid to let him go.

5. Dolphan5876

Dolphan5876 CrookedFin

Because right now he is playing like DogS_it. I can think of several instances this year where people have blown by Jake. We are lucky Tanny has not had a major injury.

6. tylerdolphin

tylerdolphin More Smug than Birthday Dog Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

dolphone summed it up. Hes playing like *** and he s getting paid like the best LT in the league. What Matt Ryan is doing in ATL now doesnt help either.

7. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

He's a revolving door this year. No doubt I'd resign him, but to an average salary. If he thinks he's still elite, he can get his giant ego the f*** out

8. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

It is not personal but because he has proven that he can play at a high level and is paid accordingly, it is reasonable to expect him to be currently playing as an elite OT. It comes with the territory of being a #1 pick in a draft. He needs to rapidly improve or we should let him walk.

9. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

Bollox....He is not playing elite, which is a far cry from playing DogS as u say. If Jake wasnt there Tanny would be far worse off!

10. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Indeed, we could have the Cardinals or Bears tackles

11. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Big Jake is everything you can ask for in a player, other than he does not fit this O and is too expensive for someone who does not put points on the scoreboard. It's nothing whatsoever against him, just business in trying to win games.

IF we ran a different O, I would want to keep him at a fair contract but, we don't, and I don't.

12. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

He's washed up. Dude has been flat out awful for most of the year.

13. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Bingo.

The same people wanting to hand Jake Long an elite paycheck for average play are the same people who didn't want Andrew Luck based on potential.

These people have incredibly stupid agendas.

14. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

People keep playing the "future Hall of Famer" card in Long's defense, but he's far from a lock.

15. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The hate isn't for Jake Long the person it is for what Jake Long represents. He is the focal point if a failed regime and a failed philosophy that has us once again rebuilding. Every time we watch 77 with a false start or holding call it is a painful reminder we dumped a ****load of money in to a broken down player that has never been able to protect his qb from the elite edge rushers. Now 5 years later with nothing to show but a couple Popularity Bowls we are face with te decision of signing him to a even bigger contract while he goes the way of Tony Boselli or letting him walk and accepting drafting him was a 5-7 year set back.

16. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

You have to wonder if he's ever going to be the same LT that he used to be. People asume that he'll be great again but he might not be. Anyone here old enough to remember John Offerdalh(SP?)he was a probowler his first 5 years I believe then he got hurt. Once he got hurt he kept on getting hurt. It was always something different but he never made the probowl again. We can't afford to pay him 15mill a year for him to play like crap and all the other holes we have.If it was up to me, I'd let him walk unless he's ready to play for 5 or 6 mill a year which I highly doubt he would.

Ozzy rules!!

17. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

I would have no problem resigning Long if he was currenlty playing at the level he did the first 3 years of his career. However, due to injuries he has been on the declinge the past two years and in fact is no where close. Long is going to command a ton of $ on the FA market and I would rather prefer the Fins to not resign him to that type of contract. He also does not fit into the ZBS so why not get a T who does? I would rather move Martin back to LT, his original position, and look for another tackle in the 3rd round of the draft or sign a cheaper one than Long in FA.

18. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I agree to some degree with the original poster. I am concerned about who will replace him? I want him back for top 15 salary with incentives (no penalties, no whiffs, sacks, etc.) for top five earnings. If he has been injured and is injured could he shift to the right side?

19. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

We'd all take him at $8-9 M. But at the $15M that the franchise tag reportedly would cost, not so much. We've seen no indication that he would work with Miami on a long term deal. Maybe $50 M over 5 years? His agent is reportedly pretty aggressive.

20. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

I don't think you will see the Dolphins just let Long walk for nothing, especially in a year when the team will have around $50 million in cap space. My guess is that they will franchise him in the offseason at $15.36 million for the 2013 season. I think then they will discuss a long term contract that is lower than what he probably wants. I also think they will probably open the phones and listen to trade offers from other teams. I don't see them letting him walk for nothing when they can franchise tag him and at the very least trade him away for a 1st round pick.

21. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

God help my phone if I find out Jake gets tagged at $15M +

22. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Just because they tag him at $15 million doesn't mean they will have to pay him $15 million in 2013. It gives them options instead of letting him walk for nothing. They can sign him to a long term deal paying him $11-12 million a year or at the very least, not pay him at all and get a 1st round pick in return.

23. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I am not opposed to tagging Long.

24. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

I understand what the options are. I just don't trust Ireland. He's guilty until proven innocent with me when it comes to free agency.

25. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

Because he's still not Matt Ryan.

26. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

The Bears would sign him in one second. See the S.F. game. He's a big leap better than what they have.

27. mnphinfan

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of franchising him and then trading him. (For some reason I'm having a brain fart and can't remember if we could trade him for less then what we set the franchise tag at. I think you can but am not sure and am much to lazy to look it up.) I would then try to trade him for a 2nd rounder where we could draft a RT and move Martin back to his original position at LT.

Hell they would probably even get a 3rd round compensatory pick if we let him walk for nothing. That is definitely better for the FO than tying up a ton of cap space for a player who doesn't fit you offensive system and can be replaced for cheaper.

Also, I keep hearing the arguement that if we lose Long that it will crate another hole that needs to be filled. However, with the way Long as been playing this year isn't LT alreay a hole?

28. whizafriz

whizafriz A True Fan

IMO, an elite LT is not the reason the Dolphins can win games. We abandon the run before we have the chance to pound the football, esp with....D-Train (ugh). Doesnt matter how much protection Tannehill has, we checkdown passes because there's no one to throw it to.

If we can get a decent/serviceable LT for less pay, and find more playmakers in wideouts, linebackers, and secondary, I think the Dolphins chance of winning each and every game goes Wayyyy up.

29. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

That would be funny if Chicago can find money to sign Long with the number of top end players Chicago has that Miami doesn't have.

Chicago has Peppers, Briggs, 54, Peanut, and Jennings on D, plus, Cutler, Brandon, and Forte and can find money for Long. LOL Don't you just love Ginger? A team headed for a second straight 6-10 season, with no playmakers, and they can't find a way to make Long work. Classic.

30. mnphinfan

This isn't about not finding a way to make it work. The fins will have around $50 million in cap space so resigning him would be easy. This is about not overpaying or not even paying at all a LT who's talent/performance has severely decreased due to injuries and doesn't fit into our offensive scheme.

31. sm0kinfins

sm0kinfins Adults are obsolete children

Because Shawn Merriman made Long his B****!.

32. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

IMO the smart money would be to franchise him. No way will we get a better LT for 2013. I dont care if we overpay, we have the cap space and its not my money. The Pats franchised Wes Welker. No way is he playing up to salary, but they had the cap space and he is better than not having at all.

33. phinfan1983

phinfan1983 Well-Known Member

Tagging Long might be the way to go. See how he plays next season and go from there. But I would also have a back up plan in place to replace him if he doesn't play any better than this year.