Why the disdain for Jake Long? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why the disdain for Jake Long?

You have to wonder if he's ever going to be the same LT that he used to be. People asume that he'll be great again but he might not be. Anyone here old enough to remember John Offerdalh(SP?)he was a probowler his first 5 years I believe then he got hurt. Once he got hurt he kept on getting hurt. It was always something different but he never made the probowl again. We can't afford to pay him 15mill a year for him to play like crap and all the other holes we have.If it was up to me, I'd let him walk unless he's ready to play for 5 or 6 mill a year which I highly doubt he would.

Ozzy rules!!

I would have no problem resigning Long if he was currenlty playing at the level he did the first 3 years of his career. However, due to injuries he has been on the declinge the past two years and in fact is no where close. Long is going to command a ton of $ on the FA market and I would rather prefer the Fins to not resign him to that type of contract. He also does not fit into the ZBS so why not get a T who does? I would rather move Martin back to LT, his original position, and look for another tackle in the 3rd round of the draft or sign a cheaper one than Long in FA.

I agree to some degree with the original poster. I am concerned about who will replace him? I want him back for top 15 salary with incentives (no penalties, no whiffs, sacks, etc.) for top five earnings. If he has been injured and is injured could he shift to the right side?

We'd all take him at $8-9 M. But at the $15M that the franchise tag reportedly would cost, not so much. We've seen no indication that he would work with Miami on a long term deal. Maybe $50 M over 5 years? His agent is reportedly pretty aggressive.

You have to wonder if he's ever going to be the same LT that he used to be. People asume that he'll be great again but he might not be. Anyone here old enough to remember John Offerdalh(SP?)he was a probowler his first 5 years I believe then he got hurt. Once he got hurt he kept on getting hurt. It was always something different but he never made the probowl again. We can't afford to pay him 15mill a year for him to play like crap and all the other holes we have.If it was up to me, I'd let him walk unless he's ready to play for 5 or 6 mill a year which I highly doubt he would.

Ozzy rules!!

I don't think you will see the Dolphins just let Long walk for nothing, especially in a year when the team will have around $50 million in cap space. My guess is that they will franchise him in the offseason at $15.36 million for the 2013 season. I think then they will discuss a long term contract that is lower than what he probably wants. I also think they will probably open the phones and listen to trade offers from other teams. I don't see them letting him walk for nothing when they can franchise tag him and at the very least trade him away for a 1st round pick.

I don't think you will see the Dolphins just let Long walk for nothing, especially in a year when the team will have around $50 million in cap space. My guess is that they will franchise him in the offseason at $15.36 million for the 2013 season. I think then they will discuss a long term contract that is lower than what he probably wants. I also think they will probably open the phones and listen to trade offers from other teams. I don't see them letting him walk for nothing when they can franchise tag him and at the very least trade him away for a 1st round pick.

God help my phone if I find out Jake gets tagged at $15M +

God help my phone if I find out Jake gets tagged at $15M +

Just because they tag him at $15 million doesn't mean they will have to pay him $15 million in 2013. It gives them options instead of letting him walk for nothing. They can sign him to a long term deal paying him $11-12 million a year or at the very least, not pay him at all and get a 1st round pick in return.

Just because they tag him at $15 million doesn't mean they will have to pay him $15 million in 2013. It gives them options instead of letting him walk for nothing. They can sign him to a long term deal paying him $11-12 million a year or at the very least, not pay him at all and get a 1st round pick in return.

I understand what the options are. I just don't trust Ireland. He's guilty until proven innocent with me when it comes to free agency.

The Bears would sign him in one second. See the S.F. game. He's a big leap better than what they have.

The Bears would sign him in one second. See the S.F. game. He's a big leap better than what they have.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of franchising him and then trading him. (For some reason I'm having a brain fart and can't remember if we could trade him for less then what we set the franchise tag at. I think you can but am not sure and am much to lazy to look it up.) I would then try to trade him for a 2nd rounder where we could draft a RT and move Martin back to his original position at LT.

Nublar7

Hell they would probably even get a 3rd round compensatory pick if we let him walk for nothing. That is definitely better for the FO than tying up a ton of cap space for a player who doesn't fit you offensive system and can be replaced for cheaper.

Also, I keep hearing the arguement that if we lose Long that it will crate another hole that needs to be filled. However, with the way Long as been playing this year isn't LT alreay a hole?

IMO, an elite LT is not the reason the Dolphins can win games. We abandon the run before we have the chance to pound the football, esp with....D-Train (ugh). Doesnt matter how much protection Tannehill has, we checkdown passes because there's no one to throw it to.

If we can get a decent/serviceable LT for less pay, and find more playmakers in wideouts, linebackers, and secondary, I think the Dolphins chance of winning each and every game goes Wayyyy up.

That would be funny if Chicago can find money to sign Long with the number of top end players Chicago has that Miami doesn't have.

Chicago has Peppers, Briggs, 54, Peanut, and Jennings on D, plus, Cutler, Brandon, and Forte and can find money for Long. LOL Don't you just love Ginger? A team headed for a second straight 6-10 season, with no playmakers, and they can't find a way to make Long work. Classic.

That would be funny if Chicago can find money to sign Long with the number of top end players Chicago has that Miami doesn't have.

Chicago has Peppers, Briggs, 54, Peanut, and Jennings on D, plus, Cutler, Brandon, and Forte and can find money for Long. LOL Don't you just love Ginger? A team headed for a second straight 6-10 season, with no playmakers, and they can't find a way to make Long work. Classic.

This isn't about not finding a way to make it work. The fins will have around $50 million in cap space so resigning him would be easy. This is about not overpaying or not even paying at all a LT who's talent/performance has severely decreased due to injuries and doesn't fit into our offensive scheme.

Back
Top Bottom