Why the negativity for Cyrus Kouandijio?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by normaniii, Jan 26, 2014.

1. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

He has started LT for the best O'line the last 2 years and is only 20.

DJ Fluker who was selected 11th overall last year was the RT for that line and played well as a rookie last year.

I like Zack Martin, but he projects best as a Gaurd. IMO Kouandijio is the better OT prospect. He also has the biggest upside of any OT not named Greg Robinson.

I would love CK at #19 and allow him to play RT opposite a FA LT, shoring up this line for years to come

2. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

I really don't like him. I don't like guys with heavy feet. I really didn't like Fluker either, and he didn't perform that well this year honestly. Alright but no way I would've drafted him that high. His balance is also atrocious, constantly on the ground and when he's knocked of his base he really struggles. Just my opinion, but he's more of a second round prospect to me, but has some upside for sure. He'd be a good guard prospect, but he's too tall. I would certainly pass.

3. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

I think after a real good year last season people were expecting him to demonstrably improve and dominate. He didn't dominate, and often looked out of position. It could be he was working too hard to help his guard and gave up his own position. People talk about his feet being slow and how he doesn't truly control his opponent with his hands, but again, that could be because he wants to do too much. I haven't seen him mocked to go any lower than Miami's pick, so he can't be all that poorly considered.

4. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I'm just not sure he ends up at LT in the pros. I do like him, but I think guard would be his best position.

5. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He's just not a top-20 guy. If he's there in the 2nd, you have to give him a serious look. He's talented, but I see him as a pretty bad reach at 19.

6. Kebo

Kebo I'm your huckleberry

Kouandijo has one bad game against Oklahoma and people start saying he sux. The guy will be a good pro. I'd have no problem taking him at 19 if the other three tackles are gone.

7. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

He had more than one bad game. Really he's struggled all year from the season opener against Virginia Tech.

He looked awful against Auburn in the IB.... I watched true freshman Carl Lawson do this to him over and over again...

http://ultraimg.com/images/sI2Bw.gif

8. j-off-her-doll

Slimm, you just hate 'Bama :^p

9. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

If you're drafting a plug-and-play RT, I think Ja'Wuan James in the late second/early third is a far better bet than Cyrus. I'd take Ogbuehi over him too.

10. hoops

hoops exited stage left

ogbuehi stayed in school...

11. TedSlimmJr

Anybody that says he's only had one bad game (Oklahoma) has only watched him in one game. The reality is the Sugar Bowl was his worst game, but he wasn't a dominant player all season. He looked terrible his last 2 games against Auburn and Oklahoma.

You're not ready for the NFL when you look like that. Kouandjio has the talent, but he was helped tremendously by playing next to Chance Warmack. A lot of his struggles this year are due to playing next to his younger brother Arie, who has been a liability in pass protection. But he's still not a dominant player.

I know what Chris Samuels and Andre Smith looked like at left tackle for Bama. They were dominant players. Even an out of shape and unmotivated Andre Smith is an above average starter in the NFL. Koundjio needed to stay.

12. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

thx, must have missed that.

13. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

I've mentioned before, that I'd prefer to see him at LG.

I don't believe he has the feet to man LT against NFL speed rushers and he's a waist bender and at that weight, he will tire very easily if good players just keep running the arc on him.

14. Kebo

Yeah he struggled. It was so bad he was first team all-sec and first team all-American.

15. TedSlimmJr

So was James Carpenter before him, and he's trying to hold on to a backup job in the NFL. What's your point?

Does this look like a kid who's ready for the NFL to you? ----> http://ultraimg.com/images/sI2Bw.gif

Koundjio has talent and he's a decent prospect, but he's not an elite player. I watched Chris Samuels start all 4 years and never gave up a single sack his entire career. He didn't even allow a single QB pressure his Senior season. That's what a dominant player who's ready for the NFL looks like.

Kouandjio lacks consistency at this stage in his development. I'm not sure what you're arguing here. He struggled all season and looked more like a 2-Star freshman the last 2 games of his career at Alabama against Auburn and Oklahoma than a 1st round pick.

Those 1st Team SEC coach's votes came in long before Eric Striker exposed him in the Sugar Bowl.

16. TedSlimmJr

I will say this in Kouandjio's defense... I believe he suffered from inferior coaching this year along with the rest of the Bama offensive line.

I've mentioned several times that Jeff Stoutland going to the NFL was a tremendous blow to Bama's coaching staff. But the point still stands... poor coaching or not, Kouandjio is a kid that needs time to polish up on technique. I wouldn't take him in the top 20. He's worth a shot beyond that point to any team needing a tackle.

17. Kebo

Sorry for being a smartass. My point is he is a legitimate prospect. This tackle class is deep and good. The only truly elite guy is Matthews IMO. I don't even like Robinson as much as most people are saying. He holds and grabs way too much. I think Kouandjio is a top 5 tackle in this class and, according to history, that makes him a first round prospect. Other than Matthews I don't see any of these guys as sure fire, can't miss.

18. FearTheBeard

He might go in the 1st (probably will), but just cause he's a top 5 OT doesn't make him a 1st round talent.

19. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe Well-Known Member

I also noticed his struggles late in the season. I think there is something to the perception that Bama players are rated too high and that they have often peaked in college. I wouldn't draft Kouandijio over Morgan Moses or Zach Martin. Actually, Moses would probably be my pick if he's there at 19.

20. j-off-her-doll

Robinson is an absolute weapon in the run game, and he has all the tools to be just as dominant in pass pro. I like Matthews too, but if you're talking clearing a lane or getting out in space, they aren't in the same class.

21. D0lphan72

D0lphan72 War... War never changes Finheaven VIP Donator

VT has a good Dline though

22. FearTheBeard

I keep watching Cyrus...trying to see what people see, and I just can't. I don't see this top flight athleticism and great feet people seem to say he has. In fact, I see slow feet and some god awful technique on a consistent basis. To me he's a late 2 to early 3...which is lower than I've seen him. Could anyone give me a really good game of his to check out?