Why waste the Sunday? (a calculation) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why waste the Sunday? (a calculation)

I could count how I never miss a Path to the Draft show, read my Mel Kiper "blue book", watch gavel to gavel coverage of the draft and watch all the preseason games plus pregame. Calculate that ****.

Sure, you could stop watching. But then when the phins somehow, someway, turn it around and win the superbowl, one day you can go **** yourself with your fair weather fan bs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

When you start having to calculate the time you spend watching your favorite football team, and assigning a dollar value to it, it's about time you just quit all together and just go on that nice boat of yours. I wonder how all the NFL players that have their Bachelors and Associates and etc. Manage, the time spend cheering on your favorite team is actually priceless, especially the enjoyment you get when your team wins. Jeezuz..

I mean just tell Lions, Cardinals, Eagles, Bills, Jets, and the countless other teams that haven't won the superbowl in decades, they should just find something else to do and how much better it would be if they did. So now, the NFL will just be a league with just fans of the Patriots, Packers, Steelers, Giants, Ravens, in such. Than the NFL can go from a 9 Billion dollar sport to a development league for college players..

Granted there's been a lot of sadness, but there have been great times. Marino comebacks, Ricky running wild, Camarillo saving us from 0-16. Lots of memories. Even this season that Atlanta game, Tannehill beating Luck, the Wake safety win.

It's a journey, not an endgame. It's a lifetime choice of loyalty and belief. It's football. It's Fins football. Be careful stepping off the train, but personally I'm staying on for the full ride.

Ditto it's what being a fan is all about. The good the bad the ugly. And no matter what if the fins lost every game for 3 straight years I will still be in my recliner screaming and yelling and freaking out at every play. Cause I'm a dolphin fan in and out!!!!

I stopped caring about college sports years ago. Same with baseball. I only have 3 teams now (Heat, Dolphins, FC Barcelona). I can't abandon them even though they do nothing but break my heart, they're like a kid to me. But man my Sundays are hell to my sleep and general well-being since I work Saturdays until 6 am and still make the effort to watch this team (lose most of the time).

I understand and respect all the viewpoints in here, but I'll add there this IS a quantifiable factor in all of this where "quality" is concerned. Sure, supporting a team is great and all, but at what point does the quality of the product and the lack of return in your investment make you question your life? I've about reached that point with this team until I see changes that are in line with what I believe is worth my fandom.

It's the same way with the Marlins (who most people write off as the joke of the MLB; worst owner in history). Conversely, the Heat (whom I've always supported, especially since Micky took over from his father; now they've become the best sports franchise in all of sports currently). The phins?? There's exactly ****all reason to support this team given the way Huizenga has essentially stripped it of all soul over the years, culminating in this latest schmuck and sucker of an owner.

It's not even about wins/losses at this point (it never was), it's about respecting the teams that deserve it; the teams that are run well and deliver a quality product regardless of record. The phins have categorically failed at that for over a decade even when having a good squad (like they do now).

So no, I will not be buying tix for the game nor setting aside days upon days of my hard-pressed time to be a fan of this team until I can respect the team enough to do-so. Do I love football? Hell ya. Will I watch it?? Sometimes, yes. But not having a home-team to completely root for makes it a lot less of a draw on Sundays; so I consider myself now free to enjoy other things until there's a recognizable re-calibration of this franchise, beyond wins-losses.

I just enjoy watching football and the Dolphins happen to be my favorite team. With the weekly rigors of the busy lives we all endure in this day and age it's nice to sit down for 3 hours or so on a Sunday and enjoy a football game win or lose. Sure there are always things that can be done around the yard or in the house but I'm one of those guys who definetly considers a whole beautiful summer Saturday or Sunday sepnt out in the yard a bigger waste of time than watching football on a colder not as nice Sunday afternoon. Men obsess over the yard for 2 reasons:

1. They hate their wives.
2. Their wives will not let them do anything else.

I understand and respect all the viewpoints in here, but I'll add there this IS a quantifiable factor in all of this where "quality" is concerned. Sure, supporting a team is great and all, but at what point does the quality of the product and the lack of return in your investment make you question your life? I've about reached that point with this team until I see changes that are in line with what I believe is worth my fandom.

It's the same way with the Marlins (who most people write off as the joke of the MLB; worst owner in history). Conversely, the Heat (whom I've always supported, especially since Micky took over from his father; now they've become the best sports franchise in all of sports currently). The phins?? There's exactly ****all reason to support this team given the way Huizenga has essentially stripped it of all soul over the years, culminating in this latest schmuck and sucker of an owner.

It's not even about wins/losses at this point (it never was), it's about respecting the teams that deserve it; the teams that are run well and deliver a quality product regardless of record. The phins have categorically failed at that for over a decade even when having a good squad (like they do now).

So no, I will not be buying tix for the game nor setting aside days upon days of my hard-pressed time to be a fan of this team until I can respect the team enough to do-so. Do I love football? Hell ya. Will I watch it?? Sometimes, yes. But not having a home-team to completely root for makes it a lot less of a draw on Sundays; so I consider myself now free to enjoy other things until there's a recognizable re-calibration of this franchise, beyond wins-losses.

Here's the thing though. This franchise has pursued Jimmy Johnson, the hottest Super Bowl winning coach at the time. Wannstedt was Jimmy's recommendation. Then they went for Saban, the hottest college coach and now arguably one of the greatest college coaches of all time. Cameron was a mistake, but he was the hottest OC at the time.

Lastly this franchise pursued and landed Bill Parcells, again, one of the most respected front office men and coaches who routinely built up dead franchises.

I mean, this franchise pursued nothing but the best to reclaim the glory Shula brought in his prime.

What more could have been done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doing the math on time and money ive spent for games and apparel over 20 years. I wanna kill myself. however still going to the game sun I guess im just a fan...

If you love the Dolphins you will always give your time, heart, soul and mind unconditionally to your team win or lose. If you can't or question why you do it when things go bad, maybe your just not the relationship type of person and don't have any commitment and true passion nor love for your team. I love them no matter what, the past 25 years have been hard and some day I believe, maybe because I'm head over heels in love with the Dolphins, I believe greatness will come.

On my fifth anniversary I told my wife that I think I may now love you as much as the Dolphins! She said damn babes you must love the **** out of me!

If you don't feel that way maybe you should go bandwagon to another time so you don't waste your precious time, no hard feelings hope you find a tam you love like I do. No matter win or loss your there, passionate and keep coming back, keep blogging, posting and reading everything out there about your love. It sux to be on a losing team, but it'll be that much sweeter when we do become a winner and my love for my team will be no different!

I see your point I achieved my master in science degree five years ago and during that time I have been waiting Dolphins to achieve something.
I mean use your time as you wish, explore the world, have a nice day every Sunday or stay tuned to the team and live with stress and frustration.

But when you can witness a fun game like the win on Indianapolis last September or last season when Dolphins won over Seahawks life gets a different taste: victory.
And nothing tastes better.

I don't watch the Fins based on an economic or cost-benefit analysis. Each of us defines the value of watching the game independently. You need to figure out if there is something else that makes you happy or is 'cheaper' than watching the football games on Sunday and go for it.

I have really tried not watching them. But I can't, I simply can't. We're going to the Czech Republic on the weekend of the Steelers game and I have already reserved a table in a sportsbar right in front of the biggest screen where they show the game. It's an addiction and just like with every addiction you can't stop.

I stopped caring about college sports years ago. Same with baseball. I only have 3 teams now (Heat, Dolphins, FC Barcelona). I can't abandon them even though they do nothing but break my heart, they're like a kid to me. But man my Sundays are hell to my sleep and general well-being since I work Saturdays until 6 am and still make the effort to watch this team (lose most of the time).

Ya Barcelona and the Heat is a real tough go eh...

So, I've recently gone back to school to study engineering and I was thinking to myself (while calculating voltage gain in a common-emitter transistor), "I wonder how much time I've wasted since year-2000 supporting the dolphins." Out comes the calculator:

• 15 games on TV, 1 at the stadium figures to about 68 man-hours per regular season
  • Figure 2 hours of forum/espn/news ranting/following per week amounts to about 32 man-hours per regular season
  • Following draft, camp, and pre-season let's say we dump about another 12 man-hours per season (conservatively, for me)
  • In thirteen seasons this will amount to approximately 1456 man-hours lost following this team; or 60 complete days (2-months). Considering the typical day is avg. 8hrs per sleep/work/play this equates to about 182 days lost in any of those categories... or half a year
  • Allowing for today's skilled-labor hourly rate (if freelancing) of about $60/hour, this costs the regular blue-collar individual $87360 in total for 13 seasons. At the entry-level wage-slave rate of $12/hour it equates to only $17472. Either way, it's a year's salary for most working-class folk.
  • Now consider time with the family (wife, kids, etc.). One could foster a child in 2000 and by the time the kid is in high-school, you'd have lost half a year's development of your kid... akin to a tour in Afghanistan. If you consider Sunday as a loss entirely (due to time management and so forth), this figure jumps to 234 days (including pre-season, etc.)
  • Let's go further and pretend you're a post-secondary student. Figure you need about 15 hrs./week minimum (not including classtime) to keep pace with a full-time courseload. This equates to about 97 weeks of study time lost... or, 6 semesters worth of school given a 16-week semester. e.g. You could be a senior in college given the time lost (yup, instead of supporting the 'phins you could've essentially had a bachelor's degree)

I love the phins and all, but sometimes I seriously question the use of my time when I see folk enjoying the day out on the boat, with friends, catching up with work, or generally relaxing (and not stressing over the phins) whilst I suffer through a season. I will always support the team, but I'm at the point I can't allocate this kind of time anymore given how fleeting of an existence we humans lead. Kinda not worth it. Especially when you consider the stress levels and general foul moods generated week after week, season after season. Note: I didn't even calculate loss of production or health due to stress level nor overall effect on a marriage/relationship nor most social parameters in general.

How much time did you waste making this calculation?? How much of our time was wasted reading this post? Never mind, I am gonna go watch football....

Back
Top Bottom