Whyyyyyyy do these things ALWAYS happen to US!?!?! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Whyyyyyyy do these things ALWAYS happen to US!?!?!

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Lineman hurts knee

Reserve guard Eric Wilson left practice on a cart after injuring his right knee. Wilson was signed in the offseason after spending the past two seasons with Winnipeg in the Canadian Football League.

Whyyyyyyyy?!?! Every year its the same thing!!!

What you just witnessed was a pre-emptive parody. It was not directed at any particular person, except whoever will be the first to post something like this in earnest the first time someone whose name we know takes a bit of an injury in mini-camps.

I don't follow other teams as closely as the Fins, but it does seem that we always lose several people in the mini and training camps...Hey all you other team posters...is this just us or does it happen everywhere....???

The Buffalo Bills almost never lose anyone in training camp. Marv Levy's training camps were so easy they were nicknamed, "Club Marv." Wade Phillips inherited this philosophy as well.

The only year we changed was in 2001 when Gregg Williams took over. He used the bullhorn and tried to turn training camp into boot camp. Players didn't react very well and that was the only year the Bills were hardcore in training camp. Our philosophy is health over all else.

Mike Mularkey appears like he will continue this approach emphasizing learning over hitting. I expect the teams that lose the most are always the teams with drill sergeant coaches. Look for lots of casualties from the Giants and Chargers (Coughlin and Schottenheimer).

baalworship said:
The Buffalo Bills almost never lose anyone in training camp. Marv Levy's training camps were so easy they were nicknamed, "Club Marv." Wade Phillips inherited this philosophy as well.

The only year we changed was in 2001 when Gregg Williams took over. He used the bullhorn and tried to turn training camp into boot camp. Players didn't react very well and that was the only year the Bills were hardcore in training camp. Our philosophy is health over all else.

Mike Mularkey appears like he will continue this approach emphasizing learning over hitting. I expect the teams that lose the most are always the teams with drill sergeant coaches. Look for lots of casualties from the Giants and Chargers (Coughlin and Schottenheimer).

It's a good point. The approach of training camps varies quite a bit. Same as in-season practices. I remember Wannstedt lightened up on in-season practices either this year or last (forgot which) to curb in-season injuries and hope that guys would be fresher down the stretch.

baalworship said:

Yea, I can see that philosophy has helped you guys lately. You're all healthy and able to lose together.

Guys it's five month after our last game. These guys have been on vacation and being lazy (some not all). It's football regardless of tackling it's hard on the body. Every team has guys get hurt in offseason, training camp, mini camp etc. Let's just cross our fingers it's no one important. Just breathe.

baalworship said:

Or sometimes they are the teams that win the most (Parcels, Jimmy Johnson, Joe Gibbs, Shula). Not taking anything away from Levy, but I find it funny that the fans and media in Buffalo have made so much over Levy's approach to training camp and practices while watching his teams lose SBs to coaches that take the opposite approach.

IMO, no one approach is best. The coach must use the philosophy that they see fit. It is possible that some coaches are not comfortable making personnel decisions without seeing players in contact drills. Maybe some coaches can't coach any other way.

In the end, it comes down to watching for signs of fatigue and adjusting as necessary and being lucky....

Wannstedt cracked down on hard hitting during in-season practices hoping to keep everyone a little more fresh. The result? One of our worst tackling performances througout the season. Personally, There has to be a nice balance in there somewhere. I don't want to see guys injured, but I cannot stand to see a guy try to tackles a guy using a forearm and not wrapping up.

Wow, I just write a paragraph answering a Dolphin fan's request for information on another team's mini-camp and my response is read as an endorsement of the style my team uses.

Here is a little nugget for some of the feeble minded on this site:

An explanation of or description of my favorite team's style/methods is not necessarily an endorsement of said style/methods.

bigmiamifan said:
Yea, I can see that philosophy has helped you guys lately. You're all healthy and able to lose together.

:rofl:

Injuries are a part of the game. Oh boo hoo!

In the words of an ice skater:

"Whyyyyy meeeeee? Whyyyyyyyy?" :cry:

99% of all injuries are dur to lack of stretching or preperation before physical activity. The other 1% is classified as $hit happens!

Back
Top Bottom