Wide Receivers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wide Receivers

Not really the vibe I got from the interview vibe I got was he hope they are there but doubts it. Hogan is showing some skills but lets temper he hasn't faced any teams number 1 or 2 db.

Hartline, for his career, is averaging 38 yards per game and less than 2 TDs per year. That's over 44 games, 4 missed in 2010. Bess is averaging about the same number of yards per game and less than 3 TDs per season. Miami's WRs have sucked for the past four years, with Hartline on board for 3 of those years and Bess on board for all 4. The only WR that kept the unit afloat, Brandon Marshall, is gone. And he had the dropsies last year anyway. If Bess and Hartline were really good, we'd be fine at WR. They are not, and we are not. And yet the notion seems to exist that they are untouchable, which baffles me. What they are, at best, is a couple of complimentary pieces. If we lost one or both of them it wouldn't bother me one iota, and quite frankly I'd rather see some new blood and devote roster spots to that potential than that than go with a crew that I know will be average at best. We should have drafted Joe Adams, we will in all likelihood be drafting WRs high in the next couple of years, and Bess and Hartline are a ticket to average, at best. Bess does some things well, no doubt, but he's a nickel and dimer, not a threat. And the thought of him returning punts again next year makes me want to take a nap. Roll the bones, take a chance- as we speak this WR crew sucks. I'll say it again- give me the choice of Bess, Hartline or Hogan and I'll take Hogan. At least Hogan can, maybe, be special. I'm pretty sure at this point that's more than Bess or Hartline will ever be.

Look call me crazy, but if you check Sherman's resume, if anybody can scheme an offense, with a talented group of Runningbacks, a decent set of Tight Ends, and Avg Bunch of receivers it's him. Now, the big question is, will the right side of the line give the Qb enough time to be able to complete the passes, and will the subtraction of Mike Nolan, set our Defense Back.

Hartline, for his career, is averaging 38 yards per game and less than 2 TDs per year. That's over 44 games, 4 missed in 2010. Bess is averaging about the same number of yards per game and less than 3 TDs per season. Miami's WRs have sucked for the past four years, with Hartline on board for 3 of those years and Bess on board for all 4. The only WR that kept the unit afloat, Brandon Marshall, is gone. And he had the dropsies last year anyway. If Bess and Hartline were really good, we'd be fine at WR. They are not, and we are not. And yet the notion seems to exist that they are untouchable, which baffles me. What they are, at best, is a couple of complimentary pieces. If we lost one or both of them it wouldn't bother me one iota, and quite frankly I'd rather see some new blood and devote roster spots to that potential than that than go with a crew that I know will be average at best. We should have drafted Joe Adams, we will in all likelihood be drafting WRs high in the next couple of years, and Bess and Hartline are a ticket to average, at best. Bess does some things well, no doubt, but he's a nickel and dimer, not a threat. And the thought of him returning punts again next year makes me want to take a nap. Roll the bones, take a chance- as we speak this WR crew sucks. I'll say it again- give me the choice of Bess, Hartline or Hogan and I'll take Hogan. At least Hogan can, maybe, be special. I'm pretty sure at this point that's more than Bess or Hartline will ever be.

Preach brotha! My sentiments exactly.

Keep Hartline, Bess, Wallace, Hogan, Mathews and either Cunningham or Fuller P/S the other. Cut Nanne and Gates! Youth movement and see what they can do, Nanne will not help and Gates is lost in the pro-game.

Preach brotha! My sentiments exactly.

My God, someone agrees with me about this? What a strange feeling. One other thing- as to the experience angle at WR, if I'm looking for experience I'm probably looking at Jeff Fuller. A rookie for sure, but the only WR on the roster with experience playing not only with Ryan Tannehill, but in Mike Sherman's offense as well. That's a pretty big advantage for Fuller, and for Tannehill- he'll probably need every bit of comfort that he can find this year, and my guess is that having Fuller on the team will be a good thing for Tannehill.

The idea of the west coast offense is to spread the ball around,not isolate one diva wr aka B Marsh. Bess is atop 3 slot receiver Hartline has shown incredible hands when targeted like to see more RAC but he never had top notch qb.Fasano will be used more as a target as well as Bush, Miller. and Clay. For what its worth imho as long as we spread ball around all we really need for our off. to thrive is a deep threat.

My God, someone agrees with me about this? What a strange feeling. One other thing- as to the experience angle at WR, if I'm looking for experience I'm probably looking at Jeff Fuller. A rookie for sure, but the only WR on the roster with experience playing not only with Ryan Tannehill, but in Mike Sherman's offense as well. That's a pretty big advantage for Fuller, and for Tannehill- he'll probably need every bit of comfort that he can find this year, and my guess is that having Fuller on the team will be a good thing for Tannehill.

Hey, I completely agree. I rather use ALL the WR position on new blood who has the potential to become more than average, even if they have no experience. Keeping both Bess and Hartline is being stuck in mediocrity. Take Nanee away as well. I rather stick Fuller and Hogan in there and have at it.

Wr 1 Lauren Tannehill , Slot- Bess Wr 2 Matthews

Keep Hartline, Bess, Wallace, Hogan, Mathews and either Cunningham or Fuller P/S the other. Cut Nanne and Gates! Youth movement and see what they can do, Nanne will not help and Gates is lost in the pro-game.

Naane has size, speed and by all accounts he's been one of the best WRs in camp if not the best, and he's new blood. As to Gates, I'm simply not giving up on that elite speed so quickly. And he strikes me as having more tools to work with than as an example Tedd Ginn, a one trick pony with his speed and nothing else to offer. Gates imo has better hands, quickness and toughness. What he need to do is learn how to play the position- wasn't that a given when we drafted him? If this was year 3 I'd be nervous, year 4 and I'd be really nervous. This is year 2, and I don't hink that he's going anywhere. He was pretty raw going into the NFL and this is his second year- it seems to me that some want to pull the plug on this guy way too quickly. On a team absolutely starved for talent at the WR position, there is no way that I'm bailing on Gates this quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea of the west coast offense is to spread the ball around,not isolate one diva wr aka B Marsh. Bess is atop 3 slot receiver Hartline has shown incredible hands when targeted like to see more RAC but he never had top notch qb.Fasano will be used more as a target as well as Bush, Miller. and Clay. For what its worth imho as long as we spread ball around all we really need for our off. to thrive is a deep threat.

The only thing that Bess was ever maybe top 3 in in the NFL would be a poll of the league's best dreadlocks,if there ever was such a poll. Again, he's averaging about 40 yards/game and less than 3 TDs per season over his career. He's a nickel and dimer, provides some sneaky separation skills, but imo he suffocates the offense with his lack of speed, he makes the field seem smaller and the offense easier to defend. Is he part of the solution or part of the problem? I look at him as a hindrance to progress. Hartline- he's a # 4-6 on most teams, if he would actually make the team, and as far as I'm concerned they can put him on IR, give his calf the whole year to heal, and buy some time for the younger guys to show what they can do. And then next year, after FA and a receiver or 2 drafted high, we'll see if he makes the team.

Naane has size, speed and by all accounts he's been one of the best WRs in camp if not the best, and he's new blood. As to Gates, I'm simply not giving up on that elite speed so quickly. And he strikes me as having more tools to work with than as an example Tedd Ginn, a one trick pony with his speed and nothing else to offer. Gates imo has better hands, quickness and toughness. What he need to do is learn how to play the position- wasn't that a given when we drafted him? If this was year 3 I'd be nervous, year 4 and I'd be really nervous. This is year 2, and I don't hink that he's going anywhere. He was pretty raw going into the NFL and this is his second year- it seems to me that some want to pull the plug on this guy way too quickly. On a team absolutely starved for talent at the WR position, there is no way that I'm bailing on Gates this quickly.
Ehh...maybe by Omars accounts. Not saying people haven't been high on him...but cmon now. He hasn't done jack in the two games we've had...he better show something against ATL for me to be a believer.

Ehh...maybe by Omars accounts. Not saying people haven't been high on him...but cmon now. He hasn't done jack in the two games we've had...he better show something against ATL for me to be a believer.

I understand the point and I want to see him produce in games as well, but forget about Omar. The coaching staff has been talking up Naane the whole camp, and he's been listed as a starter pretty much all camp. That's what's important, not Omar kelly running his mouth. And naane has been talked up by the coaches because he's played very well in camp, bottom line. Pre season games are what they are- guys rotating in and out. But Naane is only going to get so many looks in a pre season game, we'll see how he does in a limited number of opportunities. Let's face it- the WR crew is one big question mark surrounding a core of purely average, which is Hartline and Bess. Everyone, Naane very much included, has something to prove.

Back
Top Bottom