Will Davis is more consistent | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Davis is more consistent

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Boom-or-bust works in dusty oil towns. Not so much in the defensive backfield.

So that’s why Will Davis, the Dolphins’ second-year cornerback, is sensitive to the label — even if he concedes that there is a kernel of truth to it.

“When you look at [the criticism] and [if] it’s right, it is right,” Davis said recently. “I know one thing: Coaches want me to be more consistent. And that was one thing coming into camp, I can’t give up anything deep in the games. Definitely, it was one thing that I knew I had to work on, being consistent. Can’t just make a great play, then give up a bomb.”

So far, so good for Davis. He has been steadier in practice this year and has done enough in the minds of coaches to move past Jamar Taylor for the nickel corner job — at least for the time being.

The competition remains open, a source said, but Davis is projected to again be the first Miami corner off the bench when the Dolphins host the Cowboys on Saturday night in preseason game No. 3.

“That’s one of the most athletic people I’ve ever been around,” safety Louis Delmas said. “He goes up for the ball. He’s very fast, and he’s somewhat physical. He’s doing a tremendous job at working on his craft and trying to get better each and every day. That’s all we can ask for from him.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/21/4302239/improvement-in-consistency-for.html

“That’s one of the most athletic people I’ve ever been around,” safety Louis Delmas said.[/url]

funny because I always thought Taylor was the quicker, more athletic corner. im looking forward to seeing both of them in action this year.

funny because I always thought Taylor was the quicker, more athletic corner. im looking forward to seeing both of them in action this year.

I think you're right. But Davis came better prepared and Taylor had further to go to be starter material. Higher ceiling I guess is the way to put it. I still expect Taylor to become the better of the 2 and that's not just a guess or a "gut instinct".

I predict both Davis and Finnegan will be really good for us this season and Grimes will be Grimes which means our secondary could be really really good.

Idk about him being more ready. Davis was a bit more raw then Taylor when he came out. Davis is definitely the slower and less physical of the two but davis has ball skills Taylor just doesn't

My biggest worry with Davis is what happens when teams run at him. He wants no part of tackling anyone.

I have no worries about his coverage ability, he has natural talent in that area and clearly wants to get better.

I think Davis has athletic skills besides just speed, his ability to jump and get the ball is freaky.

My biggest worry with Davis is what happens when teams run at him. He wants no part of tackling anyone.

I have no worries about his coverage ability, he has natural talent in that area and clearly wants to get better.

He looks way more comfy this year. He is getting tackles on special teams

I think you're right. But Davis came better prepared and Taylor had further to go to be starter material. Higher ceiling I guess is the way to put it. I still expect Taylor to become the better of the 2 and that's not just a guess or a "gut instinct".
I disagree 100%. I think Davis is smarter and more confident. I think that he has the bigger upside because of his great instincts and propensity to make interceptions. Will Davis has the potential to be a star and lots of you can't or don't want to see it. Day after day at Practice, he excels. He is probably among the very best players at the Training Camp. Go back and look at the comments from the tweeters watching every day. Will makes plays. He just needs an opportunity to show it on the field in games. He has earned it.
The competition has helped to improve both Jamar and Will. Make no mistake, Jamar could also be decent. Just because he was drafted higher doesn't necessarily make him better. Natural competitors respond to being drafted as the underdog.
The old Parcells strategy of drafting 2 players at the same position and seeing which one develops the best sometimes seems to favor the lower drafted guy. The higher drafted guy sometimes misses out - eg Philip Merling (2) vs Kendall Langford (3), Patrick Turner (3) vs Brian Hartline (4), BJ Cunningham (6) vs Rishard Matthews (7). Bigger expectations were on the higher drafted player, but the underdog won everytime. Note - in these 3 examples, all of the lower drafted players are still in the NFL but none of the higher drafted players are.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Davis gets that much playing time, man we're in trouble. Even worse with Taylor. Two busted Ireland picks...

Understood he was never a fan favorite, but Carroll was leaps and bounds better than both of them

If Davis gets that much playing time, man we're in trouble. Even worse with Taylor. Two busted Ireland picks...

Understood he was never a fan favorite, but Carroll was leaps and bounds better than both of them

Tsssk..you think everyone who isn't immediately a star must automatically be busts. Davis has been making plays since rookie mini camp last season. No he isn't ready to start but, man you cant see the forest before the trees.

this kid has to be careful cause he doesn't have high end recovery quick acceleration or long speed...so if he bites and the protection holds up we got issues...

stilli have to say i'm impressed with how much difference a year makes here...

very pleased with what i've been seeing of Davis...if he can keep growing into his game I think he could be a difference maker, with him and Taylor we may actually have some depth in our secondary

I dont think Davis has moved ahead of Jamar at all. I just think Jamar isnt a nickle guy, he is better as a perimeter corner I think

Back
Top Bottom