Will Davis is more consistent | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Davis is more consistent

I dont think Davis has moved ahead of Jamar at all. I just think Jamar isnt a nickle guy, he is better as a perimeter corner I think

But when we're in the nickel Finnegan moves to the slot and Davis goes to the perimeter.

Idk about him being more ready. Davis was a bit more raw then Taylor when he came out. Davis is definitely the slower and less physical of the two but davis has ball skills Taylor just doesn't

One thing that I find amusing is that one guy is slower because their forty time was zero point one less in speed. To paraphrase chucky, "we are going to judge one player from another based on the time it takes this pencil to hit this desk (about 6 inches up)?" uh uh.

Davis is more athletic. Taylor has more physicality IMO. But davis so far to me based on what I have seen, which Taylor's sample size isnt really good for me to judge, is that he is quicker and is reading it with his athleticism. I am just happy that we have 4 very capable CB's with two of them talented veterans.

If Davis gets that much playing time, man we're in trouble. Even worse with Taylor. Two busted Ireland picks...

Understood he was never a fan favorite, but Carroll was leaps and bounds better than both of them

after 3 years experience. Which is what a lot of you guys dont understand. its called progression. Most great CB's take some time. Dee Miliner is a perfect example. He sucked last year as a rookie. I dont expect him to suck so much this year.

Davis has the swagger and it factor to be a good DB...but he also has to learn when to jump and when to hold position...he could end the season with a lot of INTs, but also the most TD's given up. I think it will come with time as he gets more experienced.

Taylor has lots of potential...one of my favorite coming out of that draft class and felt he fit the zone well. I'm sure he will see action this season and should develop into the more consistent corner.

Davis has the swagger and it factor to be a good DB...but he also has to learn when to jump and when to hold position...he could end the season with a lot of INTs, but also the most TD's given up. I think it will come with time as he gets more experienced.

Taylor has lots of potential...one of my favorite coming out of that draft class and felt he fit the zone well. I'm sure he will see action this season and should develop into the more consistent corner.

but it would also stand to reason that if Davis starts picking off on a consistent basis that QB's will challenge him less.

I also hope the Safeties are wise enough to see Davis getting picked on and help him over the top.

The old Parcells strategy of drafting 2 players at the same position and seeing which one develops the best sometimes seems to favor the lower drafted guy. The higher drafted guy sometimes misses out - eg Philip Merling (2) vs Kendall Langford (3), Patrick Turner (3) vs Brian Hartline (4), BJ Cunningham (6) vs Rishard Matthews (7). Bigger expectations were on the higher drafted player, but the underdog won everytime. Note - in these 3 examples, all of the lower drafted players are still in the NFL but none of the higher drafted players are.

That's a good example of crappy drafting lol. Philip Merling had no business being drafted for a 3-4 team...that pick never made any sense to me. Patrick Turner was garbage at USC, got away with being just a bigger, more physical receiver in college but even there he never got separation...dumb pick. Cunningham and Matthews were probably the most evenly matched coming out of college...Cunningham just couldn't catch the ball when he got here...nevertheless we should have taken a WR much earlier in the draft like a T.Y. Hilton (who was in our backyard) instead of Michael Egnew.

That's a good example of crappy drafting lol. Philip Merling had no business being drafted for a 3-4 team...that pick never made any sense to me. Patrick Turner was garbage at USC, got away with being just a bigger, more physical receiver in college but even there he never got separation...dumb pick. Cunningham and Matthews were probably the most evenly matched coming out of college...Cunningham just couldn't catch the ball when he got here...nevertheless we should have taken a WR much earlier in the draft like a T.Y. Hilton (who was in our backyard) instead of Michael Egnew.
Maybe crappy drafting (we've seen our share), it is easy to dismiss the underdog carrying lower expectations but it happens. In hindsight you'd say that Hartline and Rishard Matthews were pretty good draft picks.
There is a good contest between Jamar Taylor and Will Davis and one will get significantly more playing time. The departure of Reshad Jones for the first 4 games and Jimmy's move to Safety as an interim, means someone will get an opportunity and they both know it. I'm rooting for Davis and if given the chance, he will fight very hard to not give it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Davis can be our D. Patterson this year. Not consistent but a playmaker.

I'm a Davis fan. The kid reminds me sooooooooo much of Terrell Buckley.

Last year he was making good strides and injuries set him back. I'm very happy to see he is continuing to make great strides this preseason too.

But take his play thus far with a grain of salt. When our offense practices short routes he knows he isn't going to get beat over the top. He has had a lot of time to figure out Tannehill's tendencies.

But against a game plan and a savvy QB with whom he isn't that familiar, he will get burned. It will be up to Delmas, Wilson and Jones to bail him out on those pump fakes and double moves.

Davis is definitely getting better. He is picking his spots more and gambling less. But, at the end of the day, he plays a very high risk/high reward style.

I am on the bandwagon. But I expect a lot of jumping on and off and on again if Davis plays a lot this season.

I like Will Davis a lot. Even though he knows that he's in danger of getting burned for taking risks, he still doesn't shy away from it; I love the confidence. As Digital said, he reminds me of T-Buck, who had the same mentality. He gave up a big play here and there by gambling, but the man had 50 INTs in his 13 year career!; by comparison, Deion had 53 in his 16 year career.

Maybe crappy drafting (we've seen our share), it is easy to dismiss the underdog carrying lower expectations but it happens. In hindsight you'd say that Hartline and Rishard Matthews were pretty good draft picks.
There is a good contest between Jamar Taylor and Will Davis and one will get significantly more playing time. The departure of Reshad Jones for the first 4 games and Jimmy's move to Safety as an interim, means someone will get an opportunity and they both know it. I'm rooting for Davis and if given the chance, he will fight very hard to not give it up.

I can tell you the Kendall Langford was high on my list. I had done an article on him for another site and he was one of my small school sleeper picks. I wasn't surprised when he started for us.

Hartline was a lucky break. I was surprised he declared for the NFL draft early when he really didn't do much at OSU. I'm pretty sure he had less than 500 yards receiving his Junior year IIRC and was never a TD threat. That pick was just dumb luck. Rishard Matthews is a good example of coaching up a player...but don't tell anyone around here that Philbin is coaching up players...they don't want to hear it. Matthews has been developed much like they develop receivers in Green Bay...and Matthews was very accomplished at Nevada.

I thought Jamar Taylor would be a very solid CB for us but it looks like the 2nd round curse for Jeff Ireland lives on. Still time for him I guess but there's some disappointment there for me.

We are gonna rack up the INTs this year

Taylor was dealing with depression because he missed home and his family. Maybe this affected his play and progress

I disagree 100%. I think Davis is smarter and more confident. I think that he has the bigger upside because of his great instincts and propensity to make interceptions. Will Davis has the potential to be a star and lots of you can't or don't want to see it. Day after day at Practice, he excels. He is probably among the very best players at the Training Camp. Go back and look at the comments from the tweeters watching every day. Will makes plays. He just needs an opportunity to show it on the field in games. He has earned it.
The competition has helped to improve both Jamar and Will. Make no mistake, Jamar could also be decent. Just because he was drafted higher doesn't necessarily make him better. Natural competitors respond to being drafted as the underdog.
The old Parcells strategy of drafting 2 players at the same position and seeing which one develops the best sometimes seems to favor the lower drafted guy. The higher drafted guy sometimes misses out - eg Philip Merling (2) vs Kendall Langford (3), Patrick Turner (3) vs Brian Hartline (4), BJ Cunningham (6) vs Rishard Matthews (7). Bigger expectations were on the higher drafted player, but the underdog won everytime. Note - in these 3 examples, all of the lower drafted players are still in the NFL but none of the higher drafted players are.

Nice take! didnt suck.

Back
Top Bottom