Will this injury effect Boston for the rest of his career/life? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will this injury effect Boston for the rest of his career/life?

SpitOnSurtain80 said:
Boston is too big for his frame... unless he drops pounds he'll continue to have problems.
I agree with that, most of these type of injuries come from an imbalance of some kind. Being too strong in one area but not strong enough somewhere else. A lot of injuries come from not developing muscles equally in pairs, hamstrings that aren't as strong as quads, etc. He is clearly out of balance, carrying so much mass in his upper body. He makes a game of adding and dropping weight. Sooner or later that had to catch up with him.

An athletic trainer's opinion...

I am an athletic trainer with more than a few years in the business, i have seen two football (college) players completely rupture their patellar tendon.

One tore the tendon up high nearer to the quad, he had surgery and regained his playing status as a wide reciever within one yr. Before the injury he ran a 4.47 40 and had a 35 inch vert. After the surgery and complete rehab he ran a 4.62 40 and lost a few inches of his vertical leap. The thing he had the hardest time doing is cutting - i think more of a mental issue than anything. He also has problems with his overall quad strength, which i dont think david boston will have.

The 2nd guy a wide receiver also, ruptured the tendon closer to the bottom where the insertion is. He had surgery and is just finishing his rehab. He is nearly 100% and has regained most of his speed and cutting abilities. he was also able to regain most of the muscle mass in his quad, he is a gym rat and loves to work out. So i think with a lot of hard work it is possible to come back at 85 - 95% of what boston was before the injury. Boston wasnt a streaker in the 1st place so his speed isnt as inportant to us as being able to make the cuts for crisp patterns. With Boston's Size and Strength i think he will be ok if he loses a few 10ths on his 40 time.. any questions you might have reguarding the rehab of this injury i can help with too.

M.A.B, ATC

I enjoyed your informative post about the tendon injuries, but I think you are mistaken about speed not being a big part of Boston's game.
He had always been very fast and able to run at least mid 4.4s in the forty.

Ok, so I'm getting mixed reports here.

FFG and a few others claim they know people/heard of situations where players CAN and (maybe reading more into this than what's in there) SHOULD regain most of their playing abilities with good, solid rehab.

Meanwhile, Bonedoc and 126 are the leading ones saying this is a very, very serious injury with little to no chance of coming back to the level they once were.

So guys, what is it? And, 126, where exactly do you get your info about this? Not attacking you, just curious... is it your opinion or do you know of situations like this?

FWIW, if - and only if - Boston comes back from this, a man of his size could be worked into a TE... or a 3rd-4th slot WR. This taking into consideration the "positive" reports tend to relay loss of speed as a consecuence.

sbh1602 said:
FWIW, if - and only if - Boston comes back from this, a man of his size could be worked into a TE... or a 3rd-4th slot WR. This taking into consideration the "positive" reports tend to relay loss of speed as a consecuence.
His tiny *** legs play TE, naw hes only 220 something now. I say he returns to what he was, the drive seems to be there for him.

If he can handle it, fine. :)

I'm still waiting for that answer. I hate mixed reports on stuff like this - which is why I've always hated medicine. It's such an unexact science...

EDIT: Now, that's funny... unexact... science... get it?

:o :rolleyes:

with any serious injury there are always people who are going to pull thru and others who wont. I mean look at robert edwards,the injury he had could have been life threatening, and most people who suffer that type of knee injury either lose most of the legs function or walk with a major limp for the rest of thier lives, he defied all odds and played pro football again at a high level. So with all the miracles of modern day medicine, and with some sweat and hard work, i think that david boston can return to the game. Not to say that there isnt a chance he wont, but im trying to be positive. And being up close and personal with two D 1 college football players with the same injury, i would like to think that if they can do it so can david boston.... :D

Back
Top Bottom