With 1st round draft pick the Miami Dolphins will select a guy in this list... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With 1st round draft pick the Miami Dolphins will select a guy in this list...

If they wanted a buzz they should have had Wallace wear it at his presser! Because depending on who we draft the excitement of a New Jersey might not out weigh who is holding it up!

Not a lineman... CB or DE or TE or WR. Lineman will def be 2nd pick.

First round pick will be used to expose new jersey. They want a signature player that could be linked to the new image.

That said Ireland expressed that having 11 draft picks will serve to move in every direction and have power to select 6-7 players.

Aside of any football strategy, Ireland is looking for a new NT, because both nose tackles are in contract years and it's time to prepare the future keystone for the defense.
The reasoning behind this is Ireland will have a nasty time dealing contract extensions for both guys. Big Paul & Randy Starks will be open to hear what Dolphins put over the table, but knowing Patriots should be willing to part ways with Wilfork on 2014 and some other teams could be desperate for a proven NT. So it could be a bless to trade up and pick Star Lotulelei, if he's available at somewhere close to 10th spot.

Other sexy pick could be Tyler Eifert, but it's a matter of over-drafting and full-fitting in the offensive scheme. I mean Eifert is viewed as a younger version of Dustin Keller, a TE with marvelous hands and routes, but undeveloped blocking techniques. Other TE in this class have better blocking and could be closer to Philbin's designs.

Finally, pass rusher is a need and at this point of the draft, there should be amazing quality on different styles, so it would require extensive examination and evaluation but sounds like the safest pick.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

If they wanted a buzz they should have had Wallace wear it at his presser! Because depending on who we draft the excitement of a New Jersey might not out weigh who is holding it up!
Merchandise wasn't ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both hugest needs RT & CB will be filled later, you don't need to hurry about it on first round, this draft class offers great depth on both positions and Dolphins have plenty of draft picks to trade up in case they wanted.

I don't think there 1st round pick is on your list

TE is a HUGE need, remember, Fasano isn't on the team anymore, and I would cut Egnew and Mastrud tomorrow...Keller? He might be gone next year. I'd target a potential pro-bowler in Eifert, but would also target a better blocking TE in a later round...Eifert would impact our offense in ways that no other player on the board can, before, or after we pick. Best TE on the Draft, period!!

I think MexDolfan is probably right about the thread premise, though. They do want to unveil the new jersey at the draft. How are the invites sent out?

There's a team in charge of the event and they inquire about top prospects, they send invitations and as kids can accept/decline invitations, the list is somehow growing as draft day gets closer.
By this time there are few guys still deciding.

Manti Te'o declined, while Zach Ertz is undecided.

Nobody want's to be in the green room without being selected.

if the finz are BENT on drafting O-LINE, and they are trading up, FISHER is the only choice.

i think he is better than joeckel and one of the best LT prospects in a long time. the guy is wicked fast off the ball and has a mean pop at the point. he has the ability to go down as one of the best pass blocking lt's to ever play the game.

he is the ONLY tackle i would not get furious over if we got him.

ANYONE WHO THINKS that AUSTIN is nothing but a slot receiver is TOTALLY misinformed and hasnt followed his college career. he can play the outside in the nfl. he is NO devon bess who isnt fast or quick enough for the outside. and jamming austin on the line is going to be almost impossible for big db's. his leap ability was OFF THE CHARTS at the combine and wont have a problem with big cb's down field.

he will put gibson or bess on the bench right away. and as much as i love hartline, austin could bench him to.

this is not TEDD GINN OR BESS or another of the long line of speed only, smaller players. not at all. and those who have watched him know this. his wr routes are exellent, big time hands and something ginn never had and was a BIG knock on him coming out and many people didnt like the pic that early because of THAT FACT!! he didnt have the game speed that he had on the track. john avery was another whos game lacked. he had wiggle room against college guys but didnt have the game or dicipline or speed for the nfl.

all of these guys that people drag up from the past had GLARING issues that were red flag for the nfl and early draft choice. AUSTIN HAS NO problems or red flags other than people concentrating on his size. wow ! 3-4 tiny inches and he is 6'0 tall. 3 tiny inches!! and that going to change his game? no.

the kid is strong as an ox, chisled, TRUE 4.3 speed. top notch wr from the slot or on the edge. just as good at the rb position. kick arse kr/p return man.

and how is that not worth the #12?

GM's miss on a lot of talent quiping over, or hanging on to archaic size and height requirements. when you have played your position for 3-4 years of big time college ball at a dominant level against big time competition, you have to go by the tape. and so many are so set in their ways about measurables, they lose the talent they so desperately NEED!!

austin is this very player that is going to make many gm's and armchair gurus sick to their stomach that they didnt have the vision take him.

hopefully that gm wont be IRELAND if austin is available at #12.

TE is a HUGE need, remember, Fasano isn't on the team anymore, and I would cut Egnew and Mastrud tomorrow...Keller? He might be gone next year. I'd target a potential pro-bowler in Eifert, but would also target a better blocking TE in a later round...Eifert would impact our offense in ways that no other player on the board can, before, or after we pick. Best TE on the Draft, period!!

Let's say you can claim Zach Ertz at the beginning of 2nd round and Gavin Escobar in the 3rd round. Both are better options for Philbin than Eifert.

Second scenario. Miami trades up back into first round at spot number twenty-something and picks Eifert, after picking a fine OT trading up in the top 10 of the draft, bringing double exposure of the jersey that would be fine with both sport & business side of the event. This would require strong conviction abut Tyler Eifert as it would be expensive in draft picks.

if the finz are BENT on drafting O-LINE, and they are trading up, FISHER is the only choice.

i think he is better than joeckel and one of the best LT prospects in a long time. the guy is wicked fast off the ball and has a mean pop at the point. he has the ability to go down as one of the best pass blocking lt's to ever play the game.

he is the ONLY tackle i would not get furious over if we got him.

ANYONE WHO THINKS that AUSTIN is nothing but a slot receiver is TOTALLY misinformed and hasnt followed his college career. he can play the outside in the nfl. he is NO devon bess who isnt fast or quick enough for the outside. and jamming austin on the line is going to be almost impossible for big db's. his leap ability was OFF THE CHARTS at the combine and wont have a problem with big cb's down field.

he will put gibson or bess on the bench right away. and as much as i love hartline, austin could bench him to.

this is not TEDD GINN OR BESS or another of the long line of speed only, smaller players. not at all. and those who have watched him know this. his wr routes are exellent, big time hands and something ginn never had and was a BIG knock on him coming out and many people didnt like the pic that early because of THAT FACT!! he didnt have the game speed that he had on the track. john avery was another whos game lacked. he had wiggle room against college guys but didnt have the game or dicipline or speed for the nfl.

all of these guys that people drag up from the past had GLARING issues that were red flag for the nfl and early draft choice. AUSTIN HAS NO problems or red flags other than people concentrating on his size. wow ! 3-4 tiny inches and he is 6'0 tall. 3 tiny inches!! and that going to change his game? no.

the kid is strong as an ox, chisled, TRUE 4.3 speed. top notch wr from the slot or on the edge. just as good at the rb position. kick arse kr/p return man.

and how is that not worth the #12?

GM's miss on a lot of talent quiping over, or hanging on to archaic size and height requirements. when you have played your position for 3-4 years of big time college ball at a dominant level against big time competition, you have to go by the tape. and so many are so set in their ways about measurables, they lose the talent they so desperately NEED!!

austin is this very player that is going to make many gm's and armchair gurus sick to their stomach that they didnt have the vision take him.

hopefully that gm wont be IRELAND if austin is available at #12.
I love what I saw on Tavon Austin's tape. But you could argue the same on other WVU legend: Pat White.
Pat's tape shows excellence, his WVU's records are outstanding and everything pointed he was going to be the next big thing at NFL.
I was excited in 2009 when White arrived to Miami, but we know this doesn't worked well for him in his first attempt.
The reason: undersized/slim for the pro-level.

I don't argue that WO must be closer to or above 6' , that's the most common but surely not the only model.

The issue is Tavon Austin can be very strong, but at the pro-level there are heavier and stronger LB & CB that will cut some of his NFL days.
It's a shame but I don't expect him to last more than 3 seasons as starter on the league. You have to keep it in mind before using a high pick on him.
Also most draft scouts and GM's assume he's molded to be a slot receiver because he won't beat none of top CB on the outside because they play using legal intimidation contact.
At NCAA he avoided most of such contact, but at pro-level he won't have such luxury. In order to shine in the NFL, he must compete in the slot, trying to create a escape route.

I'm a short guy and know about it.

Double trade up? We leave the draft with what, 2-3 players?

That double trade up would imply using both of our 2nd round picks and perhaps a 6th rounder in 2013 plus a 3rd rounder in 2014.
That leaves a pair of starters plus 5-6 picks for the rest of this draft

That's more than enough!

lmao at the thought that Miami makes a pick to get the jersey on TV.

Think about it.

Dolphins fan-base has three important segments:
A) Fans that use every potential source to be updated on the team. (Yeah, we're on that segment).
B) Old-school fans that love the game and visit the stadium from time to time.
C) Non-committed fans that buy team merchandise if the team is winning or at least in the news.

Segments B & C surely will somehow follow the first day of draft.

So draft-day is a very important windows to show the new image of the team and promote jerseys, caps, tickets, etc.

Believe me they know about hype.

Back
Top Bottom