With Alabama Losing...... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With Alabama Losing......

Ted, as is now, let's be honest.. Do the two best teams always wind up playing for the National Title under the current system?

If so, Alabama and Florida SHOULD have played last year, with apologies to Texas. Should Oklahoma have got the nod over Texas for the title game two years ago after losing to the Longhorns? Should Nebraska have made the National Title game in 2001 after losing by 26 to Colorado in November, and after not even making the Big 12 title game?

The whole system is flawed. If there is a playoff system and two SEC squads wind up playing for the National Title, I'd have zero complaints.

Absolutely not... I don't think the two best teams ALWAYS wind up playing for the national title under the current system....but 95% of the time they do.

You're preaching to choir here son... I've stated my case against the BCS long ago, and used all of the examples you just spewed back at me...

Hell, for that matter, I don't think the "two best teams" ALWAYS end up playing for the superbowl either... a lot of times it just boils down to whoever gets hot in the playoffs...

..but at least all of the best teams had a CHANCE to win their way to play in the superbowl... which is what we need to accomplish in college football...

Absolutely not... I don't think the two best teams ALWAYS wind up playing for the national title under the current system....but 95% of the time they do.

I'd say 90 percent, but we're on the same page.

Yet, even in spite of that, every year it seems like there's one or two teams that possibly could stake the "WHAT ABOUT US" claim and a few others with close losses that really cripple their chances.

The playoffs aren't fool proof by any means. Honestly speaking, in the NFL or any other playoff system, the top two seeds wind up making it to the championship game about 60-65 percent of the time. Yet, a playoff would be worlds better than the crap we see now.

You're preaching to choir here son... I've stated my case against the BCS long ago, and used all of the examples you just spewed back at me...

Aight son, but I am only now familiar with your thoughts on the matter, so we're BOTH preaching to the choir it seems and have the same thought process regarding the ineptitude of the BCS.

Alabama will be in the BCS National Championship Game and WIN IT. Book it.

Nick Saban taught Urban Meyer how to lose a game in October and still win the national championship.

No... that's what the BCS is about... not what college football is about... I figured the BCS out a decade ago..

Here's the problem with conferences that don't play conference championship games (like the Big-Ten).. Ohio St. and Michigan St. could both be undefeated at the end of the season.. they don't play each other.

They'll just "split" the conference title and the BCS will put Ohio St. in the national championship game based on BCS ranking... meanwhile, Michigan St. will be invited to a meaningless BCS game despite having the same undefeated record (and conference record) as Ohio St...

The Pac-10 won't play a conference championship game either... neither will the WAC (although that would be futile anyway)...

The SEC is 26-6 so far against all the other conferences.... with 4 of those losses coming directly from the 2 worst teams in the conference (Ole Miss and Vandy)... Vandy lost by 2 points to a team that was in the top 25 just a week or so ago (Northwestern)...

Mississippi St. just beat a Houston team that was ranked in the top 25 a couple of weeks ago... absolutely KILLED Houston... Ole Miss hung 55 points on Boise St.'s conference "bellcow" Fresno St... again, we're talking about the 2 WORST teams just inside the SEC West... and THE worst team inside the SEC East...

The SEC West Division alone is a suicide mission.... (Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi St.).. nevermind having to go on the road to face an SEC East team like South Carolina... or playing Florida at home, etc., etc, etc....

I've always been a proponent of a playoff system... but even then, it's still no comparison.. The schedule that teams from the SEC had to play to QUALIFY for a playoff scenario compared to the joke schedules of teams from other conferences still represents a HUGE gap....

I'm curious to see what else would be left for anyone to whine about when college football adopts a playoff system and two SEC teams STILL end up playing for the national championship... because they were the two best teams to begin with...

Dr. Slimm FTMFW!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom