With All The Safeties Being Cut | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With All The Safeties Being Cut

Great, that would mean they would have no starting safeties on the roster. At the present time, Holland is the only safety on the active roster. I think keeping him for the 2024 season would be the better decision.

Well I was really just responding to the comment from another poster of being hesitant to pay Holland a 2nd contract.

I don't want Holland going anywhere.

But if Wilkins has shows us anything it's don't wait till last minute. If the Phins aren't able to extend some of these guys, I am all for trading them while you can still get great value for them.

However, part of the benefit to not extending Wilkins is it increases the ability to extend Waddle/Holland and Phillips

Kyle Dugger for NE? Their stud safety got cut?

I’m I reading that wrong?
They put the transition tag on Dugger so he can shop for a better off that NE could match.

He really is more of a LB than a S to be honest, big hitter but not very good with the ball in the air.

Another reason why I would be really hesitant to give Holland a second contract
Jevon Holland is still a top player and we need him. Yes, there are safeties available but that doesn't mean we don't want to keep Jevon. Justin Simmons lost his job today because the Denver Broncos made the worst trade in NFL history acquiring Russell Wilson and taking a $38M dead cap hit this year (and more next year) ands cuts were made to become salary cap compliant by the NFL new year.

Last edited:
Graded out to be 3rd and 4th overall safety in 2021 and 2023. Had a down year in 2022 but overall he has in fact played as a top safety.
Holland is a good player, but he hasn't made near as many impact plays as I had hoped. I had such high expectations for Holland but his play has just never seemed to escalate to a higher level. Just watch the impact a guy like Kyle Hamilton has on a game and you realize what a star at the position should look like. Maybe Weaver can get more out of Holland, but I would just be very cautious about handing Holland a big contract if I was Chris Grier, especially at the cost of losing guys at other premium positions. I would like to see how Holland looks playing for Weaver and then I would lean heavily on his opinion before I commit big money on a second Holland contract.

Well I was really just responding to the comment from another poster of being hesitant to pay Holland a 2nd contract.

I don't want Holland going anywhere.

But if Wilkins has shows us anything it's don't wait till last minute. If the Phins aren't able to extend some of these guys, I am all for trading them while you can still get great value for them.

However, part of the benefit to not extending Wilkins is it increases the ability to extend Waddle/Holland and Phillips
They should be in a better situation with the cap going into the 2025 off season. So I really don’t see that resigning Holland should be an issue unless he demands to be the top paid safety in the league and he doesn’t play like a top safety during the season.

This off season they just had a lot of quality starters who are free agents and the cap is preventing them from resigning those players so far.

While I agree that in hindsight they should have traded Wilkins. The fact is he played better last season than during any other season in regards to sacks. He helped himself earn a much bigger paycheck than he probably would have gotten if they had traded him after the 2022 season.

While he proved this past season he is worth a first round draft pick. I don’t know if the Dolphins would have gotten more than a second or third round pick if they had traded him after the 2022 season. Yet a second round pick would obviously be better than the possible supplemental pick they might receive if he signs with another team.

Back
Top Bottom