With cap issues looming, five Dolphins under particular pressure this season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With cap issues looming, five Dolphins under particular pressure this season

Maxwell is almost certainly a goner. The team has two young players in Lippett and Tankersley ready to replace him.

I know the front office loves Pouncey, but that's too much to pay for someone with his career injury rate. Not a huge fan of James, but I think if Pouncey goes the team will hold onto James. That would be too many changes on an offensive line that still isn't complete to begin with.

The thing with Pouncey is that you don't replace his talent very often in free agency, so that would likely have to be a high draft pick. Miami isn't set there with a quality backup plan.

Thomas is interesting, but certainly someone who was very unimpressive in preseason. If he plays well, Miami may keep him. Long-term, you just know Gase would love to find a young, playmaker at tight end.

I'm hopeful they'll figure out what to do with Pouncey, James and the cap. Things are getting real tight. If Tannehill is open to a restructure, that be extremely helpful. But I'm not expecting a F/A bonanza.

Trading Tannehill for two second-round picks would be a mistake. Second-round picks are less likely than not to become long-term starters in the league.

This team has more starting 5th round picks than they do 1st round picks. Every round is essentially a crap shoot.

If our staff feels that Tannehills knee concerns aren't worth an $18 million guarantee, I'm all aboard trading him for picks that may or may not help our future

My take...
Maxwell gone, Thomas gone, James gone, Pounced gone, and Cam comes back.

This team has more starting 5th round picks than they do 1st round picks. Every round is essentially a crap shoot.

Yes it is. Even first-round picks have but about a 50% chance of becoming long-term starters in the league.

If our staff feels that Tannehills knee concerns aren't worth an $18 million guarantee, I'm all aboard trading him for picks that may or may not help our future

I agree, but now you're illustrating primarily a financial concern, and not a talent concern (i.e., whether the talent traded for will equal the talent traded), and you're unlikely to find a suitor for a trade of much value when you yourself don't believe he's healthy enough to warrant his salary.

If OC Jake Brendel, OT Eric Smith, and OG Jesse Smith develop the Dolphins will have a core of young, cheap, incredibly athletic UDFA O-Lineman.

Did I mention cheap?

Back
Top Bottom