worst choice in this years draft? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

worst choice in this years draft?

Most of the nation? What nation is that? The Let's All Draft Brady Quinn-Man Crush Bandwagon Nation?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
]

no its true man i have looked at so many different articles and interviews and such and they all say how bad of a decision it was for us to pass on brady and that ginn was a real bad choice and cam tried to make everyone happy by sayign he could return, but u know thats what they say

Well, I guess I'll say it since no one else is brave enough:

And all the maneuvering in the world across our OLine did not solve our BIGGEST problem on the OLine: QUALITY ATHLETES.

Had we REACHED (as some like to call it) for Joe Staley and still picked Satele and Mormino. We would have at least SOLIDIFIED our line with such a stockpile of talent we would not had to worry about starting OLineman for many years to come. Now, as it stands.... we still have issues if Shelton and/or Carey get injured.

Make no mistake, our line is still patchwork. Because we not only lack starting quality players, we lack quality DEPTH.

......Staley, Beck, Satele, Mormino, Booker, Solai, and the others... would have also been a very impressive haul. Enough so we would have had a very impressive foundation and core from which to build for many years.

Now, as it stands, Carey HAS to work out at LT, Shelton MUST succeed at RT.... or we don't have many options to fix it if it goes wrong.

Staley gave us options we simply don't have now.

Sad to say, but not addressing LT means our entire offensive success depends on the only decent tackles on our roster living up to complete potential and remaining healthy.

And before you reply, GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT.... I'm not saying Staley was the total answer worth the #9 pick. BUT, NOT addressing the LT OR QB problem with #9 pick (trading up/down, selecting Staley, Quinn, SOMETHING) WAS THE WHOLE PROBLEM.

Nathan, while I agree with some of what you said in principle, we cannot react without the benefit of the circumstantial context.

I am not accusing, but wondering, whether or not you assume that we could have or would have successfully traded down from 9 in order to get Staley, but to where, and with whom? It also assumes that IF we traded down, we could get him at our new draft position.

Secondly, your post sounds like it assumes that Staley would be our answer at left tackle. I would not be able to suggest that he is or isn't. I have no idea. But I would suggest to you that Vernon Carey is a known commodity to Hudson Houck, and Joe Staley is not. If HH thinks Carey can fill the position, that opinion is no different than HH thinking Joe Staley could handle the job, except that Carey is already here. Either way, its just an opinion.

But with the insiders' opinions also being that team speed is a top priority, we can all understand the Ted Ginn picks, as well as Lorenzo Booker.

I say Jarvis Moss , big reach and I agree Harrel was a reach. I still knew there would be more Quinn hate in this thread also but get real at 22 he was good value geesh.

Jarvis Moss was not a big reach. Anyone who has those kinds of skills needs to be around where he went

Ted Ginn, Jr.

Guys spare me the heartfelt tirades of defending our own team's pick... but let's face it. When we selected Ginn, Jr. there was a collective laughter spread across the nation as even our own faithful screamed "WTF!".

Furthermore, I believe the main motivation for threads like this is to make ourselves feel better or to prove that we didn't make the biggest bonehead pick of the draft.

Every day we've had to hope for great news regarding Ginn, Jr. just to justify or PRAY that it doesn't make us look bad. As I'm sure many of us still get slight ridicule from friends about the pick.

It wasn't that Quinn was or was not the answer.... it's the fact that we have an OBVIOUS disparity at the game's most important position at that point in time and we PASS on selecting a QB at such a premium position in the draft. When nearly EVERY person in America felt the tumblers had fallen sweetly into place for Miami to FINALLY get a top flight QB.

Please spare me the emphatic support of the self-proclaimed geniuses who picked Ginn, Jr. in their own draft projections. A handful of people getting our pick right does not calm the laughs, boos and pained echo heard throughout the NFL world and America when every fan worth his salt dropped his jaw when the pick was announced.

It's not that Quinn WAS the answer. But, when Miami has dire needs at QB, LT and other premium positions.... and STILL picks a WR that we looked like homers on a day when each team has an equal chance to shine.

The Ginn, Jr. pick needed, and still does, discussion to SOOTHE the minds of nearly every Dolphan with in the world. That's not a sign of a collective opinion believing he was a good pick.

At least Buffalo addressed an immediate pressing need.

I don't recall us NEEDING to address an IMMEDIATE need at WR with Booker, Chambers and Hagan shoring up the WRs. I do recall us with a HUGE hole at LT and QB.

And all the maneuvering in the world across our OLine did not solve our BIGGEST problem on the OLine: QUALITY ATHLETES.

Had we REACHED (as some like to call it) for Joe Staley and still picked Satele and Mormino. We would have at least SOLIDIFIED our line with such a stockpile of talent we would not had to worry about starting OLineman for many years to come. Now, as it stands.... we still have issues if Shelton and/or Carey get injured.

Make no mistake, our line is still patchwork. Because we not only lack starting quality players, we lack quality DEPTH.

I don't care about the arguments regarding "reaching for players" or "selecting based on draft value instead of need" or "couldn't trade because of no trade partner". At the end of the day, the problem remained that we had gaping holes at the 2 most critical positions in football and we failed to address either with the #9 pick in the draft.

Staley, Beck, Satele, Mormino, Booker, Solai, and the others... would have also been a very impressive haul. Enough so we would have had a very impressive foundation and core from which to build for many years.

Now, as it stands, Carey HAS to work out at LT, Shelton MUST succeed at RT.... or we don't have many options to fix it if it goes wrong.

Sad to say, but not addressing LT means our entire offensive success depends on the only decent tackles on our roster living up to complete potential and remaining healthy.

And before you reply, GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT.... I'm not saying Staley was the total answer worth the #9 pick. BUT, NOT addressing the LT OR QB problem with #9 pick (trading up/down, selecting Staley, Quinn, SOMETHING) WAS THE WHOLE PROBLEM.

Selecting a non-need position that already has depth was one of biggest blunders in recent history. I don't care how much PROOF anyone brings to the table..... when the entire NFL laughs at such a high pick... IT'S NOT GOOD. That means even simple minded fans realize the questionability of the pick.

Very good post. And a post that I can't justifiably rebut.

]

no its true man i have looked at so many different articles and interviews and such and they all say how bad of a decision it was for us to pass on brady and that ginn was a real bad choice and cam tried to make everyone happy by sayign he could return, but u know thats what they say

Ok, NativeFloridian. If that is what THEY say, I'll accept that it's your point of view.

But figure out who THEY really are? Are they paid journalists? Are they fans with opinions? THEY are usually people who have no first hand knowledge of anything except what they eat for dinner. THEY like to give an opinion as their educated opinion if it is consistent with what other "knowledgeable" opinion-givers say? THEY are the mob rule.

The only people with first-hand knowledge of the analysis and thinking behind these picks is Cam Cameron and Randy Mueller.

The fact that I like our picks is immaterial. Yes, I would have loved to find a franchise left tackle and a shutdown franchise corner, and I would have loved to get Patrick Willis to groom for Zach Thomas' career sunset, and I would have loved to get Anthony Spencer as a fantastic new DE pass-rusher. I would have loved to get Zach Miller (?), the TE, to replace Randy McMichael. But we can only expect one 1st rd pick in any given draft, and have to mix needs with BPA.

Not that I am a homer for Ted Ginn Jr., but his speed is world-class and the opportunity to get a player like that comes along only once maybe every decade. I have been watching the NFL for 38 years, and have only seen two former players with that kind of speed, Darrell Green and Deion Sanders. And a player that fast has never played for the Phins.

Anyone can be a critic. That's part of what makes this forum fun and entertaining - the fact that all of us like to get information and express our opinion. But Cam and Randy have to make the decisions. Their careers will live and die by the draft decisions they make. Ours won't.

how bout the Eagles picking Kolb ahahaha, i mean if your gunna take a GB with your first pick at least make sure that he is a good one.

Ted Ginn, Jr.

Guys spare me the heartfelt tirades of defending our own team's pick... but let's face it. When we selected Ginn, Jr. there was a collective laughter spread across the nation as even our own faithful screamed "WTF!".

Furthermore, I believe the main motivation for threads like this is to make ourselves feel better or to prove that we didn't make the biggest bonehead pick of the draft.

Every day we've had to hope for great news regarding Ginn, Jr. just to justify or PRAY that it doesn't make us look bad. As I'm sure many of us still get slight ridicule from friends about the pick.

It wasn't that Quinn was or was not the answer.... it's the fact that we have an OBVIOUS disparity at the game's most important position at that point in time and we PASS on selecting a QB at such a premium position in the draft. When nearly EVERY person in America felt the tumblers had fallen sweetly into place for Miami to FINALLY get a top flight QB.

Please spare me the emphatic support of the self-proclaimed geniuses who picked Ginn, Jr. in their own draft projections. A handful of people getting our pick right does not calm the laughs, boos and pained echo heard throughout the NFL world and America when every fan worth his salt dropped his jaw when the pick was announced.

It's not that Quinn WAS the answer. But, when Miami has dire needs at QB, LT and other premium positions.... and STILL picks a WR that we looked like homers on a day when each team has an equal chance to shine.

The Ginn, Jr. pick needed, and still does, discussion to SOOTHE the minds of nearly every Dolphan with in the world. That's not a sign of a collective opinion believing he was a good pick.

I don't recall us NEEDING to address an IMMEDIATE need at WR with Booker, Chambers and Hagan shoring up the WRs. I do recall us with a HUGE hole at LT and QB.

I don't care about the arguments regarding "reaching for players" or "selecting based on draft value instead of need" or "couldn't trade because of no trade partner". At the end of the day, the problem remained that we had gaping holes at the 2 most critical positions in football and we failed to address either with the #9 pick in the draft.

Staley, Beck, Satele, Mormino, Booker, Solai, and the others... would have also been a very impressive haul. Enough so we would have had a very impressive foundation and core from which to build for many years.

Selecting a non-need position that already has depth was one of biggest blunders in recent history. I don't care how much PROOF anyone brings to the table..... when the entire NFL laughs at such a high pick... IT'S NOT GOOD. That means even simple minded fans realize the questionability of the pick.

I disagree b/c I thought Ginn was the best available player at the time. I also thought Quinn and Staley were two of the most overrated players in the 1st round. As for the people that were laughing, I thought they were idiots before the draft. The fact that they disagreed with the team didn't make me feel worse. It made me feel better.

Worst pick was the niners pick in the late 1st round. Not cause he is a bad player but he was around 20ish where they got him. But they traded a first rounder next year to the patsies for him. Unless the niners go 12-4 that will be a trade down. And if they have the worst record the patriots will then have the top draft pick. That was the most bonehead move therefore the worst pick in the draft.

thought this was interesting. I was looking for some feedback on Quinn off of the borwns message board. It's all pretty consistent.

"already starting to not like this kid, go to ptactices with me and watch him play and he might not be worth 75 bucks to sign him. Anderson makes him look bad, I know its only practice but he been stinking it up Not very accurate and sissy arm- compared to the big boy nAnderson anyway"

That's basically what Cam was saying about him while trying to be nice about it at the same time.

Worst pick was the niners pick in the late 1st round. Not cause he is a bad player but he was around 20ish where they got him. But they traded a first rounder next year to the patsies for him. Unless the niners go 12-4 that will be a trade down. And if they have the worst record the patriots will then have the top draft pick. That was the most bonehead move therefore the worst pick in the draft.

You didn't think the Browns giving up a 2nd and their 1st next year for a player who likely won't positively influence their team this year(by that mean play a significant role in them winning games) was a worse move than Staley? The Browns could easily be drafting top 10 again, whereas the 49ers should at least improve on their drafts spot.

You didn't think the Browns giving up a 2nd and their 1st next year for a player who likely won't positively influence their team this year(by that mean play a significant role in them winning games) was a worse move than Staley? The Browns could easily be drafting top 10 again, whereas the 49ers should at least improve on their drafts spot.

I have to agree. The Browns could be back in the top 5 next year and they traded that pick for a guy who was falling like crazy and probably will only play if they are on there way to a top 5 pick

Ted Ginn, Jr.

That's total baloney. Do you have any proof to back up the claim that the entire NFL laughed at the pick of Ginn at #9?
Adam Schefter reported on NFL Network that both Houston and St. Louis planned on drafting Ginn, had he been available.
The only reason we even had a chance to draft him was because of his foot injury. Had he been 100% healthy leading up to the draft and ran like he is capable of, he'd have very likely been gone before the 9th pick.

Your last sentence would be more accurate by saying: the only ones who question the pick are the simple minded fans. Perhaps their opinions are what you are referring to when you say "the entire NFL".

Back
Top Bottom