Would you be happy/content with ANY of the top 3 available WRs? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you be happy/content with ANY of the top 3 available WRs?

Give me Wallace and Jennings... Realistic? Probably not, but it is possible with our cap space and we won't have to worry about the WR position for a long while.

I see a lot of opinions on whether we should pursue Wallace, Jennings, or Bowe. Although I do have my preference, my biggest fear is that we go through the offseason and don't land ANY of them. So I've decided that as long as we land ONE of them, as far as FA WRs aquisitions go, I will be happy and content with it.

Will you?

I definitely would not be thrilled if we signed any of the big 3 FA wr's, although I would prefer Bowe to the other 2.
Imho there are going to be a lot of high and unreasonable expectations to what Wallace/ Jennings will do for us.
I don't think their impact will be anywhere near to their new contracts.

Patterson and Hunter will end up better than these guys Imho. I want us to trade a 2/3 to move up into the first.
Draft both of them with our firsts, we still have a 2 and 3 for Trufant/Rambo, etc.
And we still have all that money that we would have blown on Wallace/Jennings/Bowe.

I guess my main thing is, ''Is this guy going to help us be a contender long term?''
If I don't think he is, I rather not overpay them, even if it costs us a few games in the short term.
I don't think Hartline/Wallace/Jennings will help us be true contenders, so pass and keep that money for people that can.
I want wr's just as bad as anybody else, actually more so lol, as you can see I want us to draft Both Patterson and Hunter.
I just want us to get the right people to help us be actual contenders.
These are the 2 I feel that can, so let's go get them.

I prefer Jennings, but would be happy with any of the 3 (as long as the contracts don't get ridiculous) My question is, what if all 3 are being offered contracts that are near or above their asking price? Would you want the Dolphins to overpay just to land one? I personally wouldn't want the Dolphins to pay Bowe or Wallace 11 / 12 million per season, and wouldn't want to pay Jennings more than 7 / 8 million per.

I'd love to add Jennings. Runs all the routes really well, can play slot or outside, and is just a good veteran receiver for a young QB and offense (see: Reggie Wayne. I would bet on similar impact).

I definitely would not be thrilled if we signed any of the big 3 FA wr's, although I would prefer Bowe to the other 2.
Imho there are going to be a lot of high and unreasonable expectations to what Wallace/ Jennings will do for us.
I don't think their impact will be anywhere near to their new contracts.

Patterson and Hunter will end up better than these guys Imho. I want us to trade a 2/3 to move up into the first.
Draft both of them with our firsts, we still have a 2 and 3 for Trufant/Rambo, etc.
And we still have all that money that we would have blown on Wallace/Jennings/Bowe.

I guess my main thing is, ''Is this guy going to help us be a contender long term?''
If I don't think he is, I rather not overpay them, even if it costs us a few games in the short term.
I don't think Hartline/Wallace/Jennings will help us be true contenders, so pass and keep that money for people that can.
I want wr's just as bad as anybody else, actually more so lol, as you can see I want us to draft Both Patterson and Hunter.
I just want us to get the right people to help us be actual contenders.
These are the 2 I feel that can, so let's go get them.

I don't think anyone is saying that signing Wallace or Jennings will make us insta-contenders...and I think you are exaggerating the gap between what we would pay for Jennings/Wallace and the production we would get from them (although the gap is probably wider for Wallace). Signing Jennings in FA does not JUST give us leadership, route running, a mentor in the locker room, and a go-to guy who has played on the big stage. It frees us of the responsibility of having to spend a majority of our early picks on WR, and allows us to fill other holes.

I am confused when you say that these two draft picks will help make us "true contenders" while Jennings/Wallace won't? Is this supposed to relate to intangibles? Dedication? Because Jennings/Wallace were not born and bred a Dolphin they can't help us long-term? Or help us be "true" contenders? If so I would use Boldin as an example of a FA who came from another team and helped lead the Ravens to a Superbowl victory.

We have an awful receiving core, a young QB, and a lot of cap space. Spending a little extra money to land a seasoned, NFL proven talent is certainly not going to make us any less of a contender. I also don't think it's worth sacrificing the short term success in hope that the rookies drafted this year turn out to be the saviors for our team, and turn us into what you deem "actual" contenders. So I would argue to you that the WRs coming out this year have a better chance of being a "blown draft pick", then cap space being used to sign Jennings being "blown money". Frankly, I and many others think we should be able to "contend" for the playoffs next year, and I think Jennings can greatly help our chances as well as groom our younger receivers up until his retirement.

I'm fine with either Wallace or Jennings. Either of them will give this team what it desperately needs, a go-to WR.

Yep, this pretty much sums it up. We need that number one go-to receiver and Wallace or Jennings will provide that for our offense.

Back
Top Bottom