WR prospects | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR prospects

Not even having Stedman Bailey in your top 10 seems either a pretty large oversight, or a really bold call that you'll one day regret, IMO.

I'm more inclined toward...

1. Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
2. Stedman Bailey, West Virginia
3. Keenan Allen, California
4. Terrance Williams, Baylor
5. Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
6. Robert Woods, USC
7. Tavon Austin, West Virginia
8. Justin Hunter, Tennessee
9. DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
10. Marquess Wilson, Washington State

Just on the outside of that would be Markus Wheaton whom I like but not more than these guys. I like Chad Bumphis, Corey Fuller, Marquise Goodwin and Jasper Collins in a similar category as Wheaton. I like Chris Harper and Da'Rick Rogers just outside of this group as well, in a category with one another, but Harper more than Da'Rick as he gives you similar play, but probably faster, and less headaches. You'd have Conner Vernon, Ryan Swope and Zach Rogers all in similar territory, which seems kind of racist but they do kind of remind me of one another. I'm still trying to sort out how I feel about Aaron Dobson, Cobi Hamilton and Kenny Stills, but the three constitute a group I've become a little uncomfortable with in some ways.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Physicality is also the thing to watch with him.

I guess a bold statement. this is a deep wide receiver class. bailey doesnt wow me in any way but will still be a third round receiver

Take DeAndre Hopkins and we'll have a guy who'll be productive from Day 1. He possesses excellent size, hands and body control. He's consistently beats the jam and has enough speed to take it deep too. If 12 is too high, and I think it is, I'd like to see Miami trade down into the high 20's and draft him. If we get him and another high-end veteran receiver in free agency, the position will go from a position of weakness to one of strength overnight.

I know everybody wants the big play, highlight reel kind of guy with all of the "off the chart" measurables, but for my money, I'd much rather have the guy who knows how to get open, is tough over the middle, can get yards after the catch and WILL CONSISTENTLY CATCH THE BALL. That's DeAndre Hopkins and I'd love to hear the crowd yelling "Nuk" after each catch.

I agree with you we need to get him, but if he's good enough to go at 20 then why take that risk of trading down and losing out on him we need to just take him if he's the guy.

I'm quickly falling in love with Quinton Patton. I hadn't watched anything on him until two days ago, but there's some stuff to like there. Outside of all the normal observations, there's a lot of good indicators in the data I pulled. He's got the second highest yards after the catch behind Stedman Bailey. He has the most redzone yardage out of all wide receivers I've looked at (196 yards throughout the season) more than 4 times the average of the other wide receivers (Bailey has 150).

The thing I like about Bailey and Patton is that while they both run screens about 25-30% of the time, yet they still have higher YAC numbers than other WRs. They're making the most out of their catches even though they aren't catching it in open space and running across the field.

I will say, between his game tape and a reception that I just saw while watching the Senior Bowl, Patton is the king of offensive pass interference. Brian Hartline-esque.

I would be for Tavon Austin as an offensive weapon in the 3rd round or later, although him dropping that late is unlikely. As many holes that we have to fill, including at least two at WR, I view any player drafted in the first two rounds, possibly even first three, as needing to be a potential starter and not a developmental player.

On this we agree.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

I guess a bold statement. this is a deep wide receiver class. bailey doesnt wow me in any way but will still be a third round receiver

Man, you're tough to impress!

I'm quickly falling in love with Quinton Patton. I hadn't watched anything on him until two days ago, but there's some stuff to like there. Outside of all the normal observations, there's a lot of good indicators in the data I pulled. He's got the second highest yards after the catch behind Stedman Bailey. He has the most redzone yardage out of all wide receivers I've looked at (196 yards throughout the season) more than 4 times the average of the other wide receivers (Bailey has 150).

The thing I like about Bailey and Patton is that while they both run screens about 25-30% of the time, yet they still have higher YAC numbers than other WRs. They're making the most out of their catches even though they aren't catching it in open space and running across the field.

I will say, between his game tape and a reception that I just saw while watching the Senior Bowl, Patton is the king of offensive pass interference. Brian Hartline-esque.

Quinton Patton is very good. He may be as high as the #3 wide receiver for me. Somewhere between #3 and #6.

Quinton Patton is very good. He may be as high as the #3 wide receiver for me. Somewhere between #3 and #6.

I just did a quick ranking after I finished up with Patton earlier, I'm looking at it something like this:

1. Cordarrelle Patterson
2. Stedman Bailey
3. Quinton Patton
4. DeAndre Hopkins
5. Keenan Allen
6. Terrance Williams

Everything after 6 is kind of a wash for me right now, but Wheaton is definitely around 9 or lower. Extremely low YAC and around 10% of throws to him are dropped. Although his amount of 20+ catches (without YAC) is enticing. My feelings on Williams change daily, depending on whether I believe he can run more than just deep routes that day. Could be anywhere between 4 and 8 based on my mood.

Im buying in on Wheaton. Fast. goes forward and takes on tackler. I like that.

I'll just add him to my wish list. My late round value pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else seen a body-catching tendency with Patton? It's really my only knock on him, but as nobody else seems to have picked it up, maybe I just happened to see games of his where he was letting the ball come to him and not high pointing.

Other than that he'd be in my top 5 with Bailey, Patterson, Hopkins, Allen (character worries me tho) - in no particular order.

next group of 5 would be Wheaton, Hunter, King, Dobson, Woods, Wilson.

Harper, Swope, Stills, Darrin Moore and Jordan Matthews my next 5.

Pattons all around wr talents are among the best in the draft IMO, he really needs to be wearing a dolphin jersey next season.I think patton is a guy who could surprise a lot of people by how high he goes.

And Wheaton is a wr who I think with a little more polish becomes a huge weapon for us. I think he's being undervalued a lot.

Back
Top Bottom