WR prospects | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR prospects

How about that guy who's like 6'5 255 and runs a 4.5? ...oh wait that's Jadeveon Clowney...

Being an ACC fan I watched Hopkins a lot. I may be a little biased but he reminds me a lot of Greg Jennings. His size, speed, quickness, hands, and playmaking ability are all similar. What if we signed Jennings and drafted Hopkins we would have two good WR's to run the offense.

Being an ACC fan I watched Hopkins a lot. I may be a little biased but he reminds me a lot of Greg Jennings. His size, speed, quickness, hands, and playmaking ability are all similar. What if we signed Jennings and drafted Hopkins we would have two good WR's to run the offense.

Count me in.

Man, I did not see that. Sure he has dropped some balls, but I not that often.

I was just noticing the same thing. Take a look at the Oregon game. He's got at least 2 definite drops, 1 where he almost drops the easiest catch in the world, and a muffed punt. Not the best showing in the world and I feel like he could have dropped a few more in that game too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please never compare Tedd Ginn to Tavon Austin again

Next-year, why don't you provide evidence to disprove my claim? I can guarantee I've forgotten more football than you could ever learn.

Show me evidence that T. Austin runs more routes than a WR screen and a go route. Everyone gets excited cause he's a fast guy, buts its all aboutbtranslating to the nfl. Best case scenario you have a poor mans devin Hester or more likely Ted Ginn.

Next-year, why don't you provide evidence to disprove my claim? I can guarantee I've forgotten more football than you could ever learn.

Show me evidence that T. Austin runs more routes than a WR screen and a go route. Everyone gets excited cause he's a fast guy, buts its all aboutbtranslating to the nfl. Best case scenario you have a poor mans devin Hester or more likely Ted Ginn.

Poor mans Devin Hester or Ted Ginn? come on Guy. Devin hester barely played in college and Ginn could only run straight and had 0 shiftiness.

Where Tavon differs from the two.

1. He can be used in the back field and Slot
2. he posses wayy better hands than both Hester and Ginn
3. It's not only his speed but his ability to cut/start/stop on a dime
4 . oh and he was about 3 times as productive as the both of them in college

Ted Ginn had a total of 2156 yards from scrimmage and 18 touchdowns his entire career at Ohio State

Tavon has 1932 yards from scrimmage and 15 touchdowns LAST SEASON and 4444 yards and 35 TD's in his career and close to 1000 more yards on returns than Ginn

Oh and Devin Hester had like 2000 yards if you include his punt/kick return and all of his yards from scrimmage.

Average players don't Torch LSU.

GINN AND TAVON ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLAYERS. Tavon isn't used to stretch the field vertically he does his damage in the middle of the field like a Percy Harvin.

I'm not saying Tavon isn't raw at receiver but that's coachable and not really as big of a concern considering the role he will eventually play. Nor am I saying we should get him, unless he miraculously drops to our second 2nd round pick.

Looks like you may have forgotten a little too much football.

Numbers don't lie Sucks you had to waste your 41st post on that.

#1-10 at WR
1. Keenan Allen Cal
2. Terrance Williams Baylor
3. Cordarrale Patterson Tennessee
4. Tavon Austin West Virginia
5. Justin Hunter Tennessee
6. DeAndre Hopkins Clemson
7. Aaron Dobson Marshall
8. Markus Wheaton Oregon State
9. Robert Woods USC
10. Quinton Patton Louisiana Tech

Not even having Stedman Bailey in your top 10 seems either a pretty large oversight, or a really bold call that you'll one day regret, IMO.

I'm more inclined toward...

1. Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
2. Stedman Bailey, West Virginia
3. Keenan Allen, California
4. Terrance Williams, Baylor
5. Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
6. Robert Woods, USC
7. Tavon Austin, West Virginia
8. Justin Hunter, Tennessee
9. DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
10. Marquess Wilson, Washington State

Just on the outside of that would be Markus Wheaton whom I like but not more than these guys. I like Chad Bumphis, Corey Fuller, Marquise Goodwin and Jasper Collins in a similar category as Wheaton. I like Chris Harper and Da'Rick Rogers just outside of this group as well, in a category with one another, but Harper more than Da'Rick as he gives you similar play, but probably faster, and less headaches. You'd have Conner Vernon, Ryan Swope and Zach Rogers all in similar territory, which seems kind of racist but they do kind of remind me of one another. I'm still trying to sort out how I feel about Aaron Dobson, Cobi Hamilton and Kenny Stills, but the three constitute a group I've become a little uncomfortable with in some ways.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Man, I did not see that. Sure he has dropped some balls, but I not that often.

Physicality is also the thing to watch with him.

The whole premise of the thread is which players are most equipped to come in and contribute immediately as an NFL receiver. Not college stats, so all the stats that you threw out of Tavon Austin putting up big numbers against crappy Big East defenses, ESPECIALLY considering that they throw the ball 50+ times a game, is irrelevant.

I understand that Austin, and many of the other WR's in a Texas Tech type offense can only run the plays that are called. All I'm saying is that I truly don't believe he will be able to come in and play as an NFL receiver as quickly as the 10 or so guys that were previously mentioned.

CKParrot, I do believe Bailey is the more polished of the two but their offensive system has held them back compared to more pro style offenses.

Plus as I've stated before, I'm definitely biased on height. Outside of B. Marshall it was almost 10 years since we had a receiver that was a true red zone threat that we could throw a fade to and have confidence that they'd make a play.

Transitioning from that offensive system didn't stop Justin Blackmon from being the most productive rookie WR in the NFL this year even with trash throwing the ball to him in Jacksonville.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

I don't see looking at Tavon Austin and coming away believing that he can't do for Miami what Davone Bess does, except probably better. He would actually be a combination of Davone Bess and Danny Woodhead. That's a valuable player.

I would be for Tavon Austin as an offensive weapon in the 3rd round or later, although him dropping that late is unlikely. As many holes that we have to fill, including at least two at WR, I view any player drafted in the first two rounds, possibly even first three, as needing to be a potential starter and not a developmental player.

Back
Top Bottom