WR Rishard Matthews, Nevada | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Rishard Matthews, Nevada

wonderl33t

Club Member
Reaction score
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/22/matthews-stands-out-at-nevada-pro-day/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6srtbQe3KA

I think we could use a guy like this. I have watched him come up through Bakersfield Junior College and U of Nevada (tearing my Bulldogs a new one), and he has beasted at both levels. Very good routes, hands, body control, ball skills, and hard to tackle. Then I was surprised at his 40 times (4.47 at combine, 4.44 at pro day) because he never struck me as a speed guy or deep threat, just your classic X receiver. He plays like a pro. I think he could replace Marlon Moore immediately because he has almost the same speed as Moore, but is more physical and much more skilled. I think in a few years, he will be a Greg Jennings type of guy. I could really see Philbin going for a guy like this. He would be a good value in the 2nd round, and a steal in the 3rd IMO.

:-)

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

I made this post before I realized how ridiculously deep the draft was at WR, but my sentiments are the same :)

Matthews ran an official 4.62 at the combine...much faster at his pro day. Philbin compared this kid to James Jones from the Packers.

so we subtract brandon marshall but add rishard mathews and bj cunningham.boy i feel better all ready.

I like the Cunningham pick better.
Matthews doesn't seem to have much quickness from what I have read about him. He will have a hard time separating.
I doubt he will make the final cut.

Matthews doesn't seem to have much quickness from what I have read about him. He will have a hard time separating.

Interesting to see who makes the cut at receiver.

guys like this are why I was hoping we'd wait til at least round 5 for a Wr.. especially after realizing that mcnutt was freefalling, and I thought he was our target.

there are a number of guys that could come in and contribute in the WCO.. I was very pissed about the bmarsh trade, but I've been doing some thinking/reading/watching.. and I can see why we shyed away from a prototypical #1 wr with the direction we are heading.

we need quick shifty guys who can run precise routes. a bit of seperation will actually come from play design, so we don't need a real physical guy to get seperation necessarily. guys who can cut sharp, and change direction quickly, and find soft spots are guys we are looking for.. brandon marshall, as good as he is, just simply isn't that guy....

guys like this are why I was hoping we'd wait til at least round 5 for a Wr.. especially after realizing that mcnutt was freefalling, and I thought he was our target.

there are a number of guys that could come in and contribute in the WCO.. I was very pissed about the bmarsh trade, but I've been doing some thinking/reading/watching.. and I can see why we shyed away from a prototypical #1 wr with the direction we are heading.

we need quick shifty guys who can run precise routes. a bit of seperation will actually come from play design, so we don't need a real physical guy to get seperation necessarily. guys who can cut sharp, and change direction quickly, and find soft spots are guys we are looking for.. brandon marshall, as good as he is, just simply isn't that guy....

exactly. the west coast offense gets guys open through schemes and plays, not relying on individual talent to get open. it calls for a different type of WR, like the type you describe that is very precise at route running, and very fast runners.

Matthews looks like a player and explosive om PR as well

No he doesn't have the speed, but its his quickness in and out of his cuts that have made him succesful. his scouting reports should show how his ability to get open from much quicker and faster DB's have been his ability at full speed to break his route perfectly and get open, but the times when the DB guesses the route, he hasn't been as open. He does posses strong hands and the ability to extend hi and low with his catches, both drafted reciever's show the same ability, but Cunningham is a bit better, and posseses that Broyles attitude that wont be denied.

:-)

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

I made this post before I realized how ridiculously deep the draft was at WR, but my sentiments are the same :)

Good call. He is going to be a very very interesting player in camp.

Back
Top Bottom