WR Rishard Matthews, Nevada | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Rishard Matthews, Nevada

Lots of potential. Both Matthews and Cunningham have the chance to contribute early

No he doesn't have the speed, but its his quickness in and out of his cuts that have made him succesful. his scouting reports should show how his ability to get open from much quicker and faster DB's have been his ability at full speed to break his route perfectly and get open, but the times when the DB guesses the route, he hasn't been as open. He does posses strong hands and the ability to extend hi and low with his catches, both drafted reciever's show the same ability, but Cunningham is a bit better, and posseses that Broyles attitude that wont be denied.

Matthews is a better athlete than Cunningham, and he has plenty of straight line speed. He wasn't full speed at the combine. At his pro day, he ran a 4.44. Really good all around athlete. Almost positive he'll make the team and see some time as a rookie.

i like what the new regime is doing alot. After one more draft class I think we will be in great shape

Yea i think bess and hartline and the new additions, plus the rbs tes and fbs will be great, lots of spreading the ball around. I think te skillsets were looking for are all similar. Different size and speed combos for mismatches but similar skillsets. Reliable hands, precise route running and timing. Quick not fast, dont lose speed in breaks and cuts. Able to sell routes. Able to open hips, plant feet, stop at a dime and start up again quick. Contested catches and good focus. Watching tannehill against okl and lsu its so clear our game is going to be a lot of passes out of the backfield utilizing backs and tightends. So well require good blocking all around. Unbelievable amount of outs and comebacks. Some slants and posts. Quite a bit of redzone fades. Tannehills game seems to be biding time, using his athleticism and throwing sideline catches where only his receivers can male the grabs. Does well against the zones and in redzone something were not used to

Both seem like good pickups to me, as well as the UDFA the picked up from A&M.

Matthews ran an official 4.62 at the combine...much faster at his pro day. Philbin compared this kid to James Jones from the Packers.

You've probably already heard this but Matthews tore his MCL in the final game of the regular season then re-aggravated it during his training for the Combine. His agent advised him against running, but he did it anyway, and ran a slow time. I investigated a little bit the surface he ran on at his pro day to make sure it wasn't a track surface and it appeared to be regular stadium field surface. The reason I do that is because Greg Childs ran an "official" 4.55 at the Combine then busted out a 4.39 or 4.40 at his pro day, yet when I saw pictures of his 40 yard dash I noticed he ran it on a track surface.

[video=youtube;1UcLKuGBq0s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UcLKuGBq0s&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Fast forward to about 2:37 into this video and watch that reverse he ran against Boise State in 2010. This was a Boise State team many thought should've been given a shot at the National Championship (if not for this loss to Nevada at the hands primarily of Rishard Matthews).

He had 10 catches for 172 yards and a receiving TD in that game against Boise State back in 2010 with Colin Kaepernick throwing the ball. He added the 44 yard TD run in the 3rd quarter. Boise State was the #3 team in the country an Rishard Matthews beat them with 216 rushing and receiving yards and 2 TDs.

Another later round wr that can suceed in the Dolphins offense compared to the earlier rd wrs...Great pick

agreed Fuller was a good get as udfa wonder why he slid out of the draft I know his sr season wasnt the best but still a good player

The time has come for us to stop talking about Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace to somehow "realize their constantly talked about potential" that they're just special teamers. BJ cunningham and Matthews were highly productive in prosystems in college (as opposed to past picks we just assumed would become productive) and I think either will start day 1. My money is on BJ cunningham to come right in and start opposite hartline with Bess in the slot.

Rishard Mathews is another guy who was very productive in college. Why can;t they be productive at the pro-level? They can be!

Back
Top Bottom