WR Rishard Matthews, Nevada | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Rishard Matthews, Nevada

Remember Derek Hagan or Patrick Turner? Guys from big schools who either couldn't get past the dropsies or couldn't get off the line?

If Fuller can play special teams, then so be it. I'm not counting on this kid playing WR for us ever. That was a bone thrown to Tannehill and nothing else (in my humble opinion).

If you get a guy who only catches for 400 yards each year in college, he doesn't just realize how to become a 1200 yard receiver. Now the guy who was productive has an understanding of how to create separation.

Both of our guys taken in the draft know that. And they're solid route runners but they're not blazing fast.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/22/matthews-stands-out-at-nevada-pro-day/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6srtbQe3KA

I think we could use a guy like this. I have watched him come up through Bakersfield Junior College and U of Nevada (tearing my Bulldogs a new one), and he has beasted at both levels. Very good routes, hands, body control, ball skills, and hard to tackle. Then I was surprised at his 40 times (4.47 at combine, 4.44 at pro day) because he never struck me as a speed guy or deep threat, just your classic X receiver. He plays like a pro. I think he could replace Marlon Moore immediately because he has almost the same speed as Moore, but is more physical and much more skilled. I think in a few years, he will be a Greg Jennings type of guy. I could really see Philbin going for a guy like this. He would be a good value in the 2nd round, and a steal in the 3rd IMO.

Well if Gil Brandt likes him plus running a 4.48 was a bit of a surprise......looks like the Phinz just got a steal in round 7, great pick :-)

Here's what Gil Brandt had to say about Matthews:

"Rishard Matthews, WR (6-1 1/2, 209) — Matthews really blew my socks off. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.44 and 4.48 seconds, and stayed on his vertical from the combine. He notched a 10-3 broad jump and kept his shuttle, three-cone and bench. He had an outstanding workout. Scouts said it was as good a workout as they’ve seen from a receiver. Matthews caught the ball and got speed. There are lots and lots of receivers in this draft, but Matthews managed to elevate his status with his performance. I would imagine that he’s now a second-round pick."

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved the video you posted CK. Looks like Mathews is a natural hands catcher rather than a body catcher which I like a lot. Also, a very smooth and fluid athlete with good body control. This kid might have a legit shot here.

Hope he makes it - they can sure use whichever receiver that separates himself from the pack.

I happen to wonder if Derek Moye and Rishard Matthews won't be the two players that really separate in the short and long term.

I do believe Jeff Fuller has some significant advantages and all he really has to do to make the roster is show that he can consistently catch the football. Sometimes that never ends up happening, sometimes it does. A few years ago Joe Philbin inherited a tight end from the Dolphins by the name of Donald Lee who couldn't catch a cold and got cut because of it. It was bad with Lee, so bad that when he caught a ball during preseason rather than dropping it, he went to the sidelines and everyone on the team came over to cheer him on for actually catching a routine pass. Somehow he goes to Green Bay under Philbin and suddenly hands aren't an issue.

What Derek Moye will show right away is probably the best ability of any of the four receivers to get off the press. That's my prediction. I watched him closely against Alabama in 2010 and Alabama in 2011. He faced a 1st rounder in Dre Kirkpatrick, a future 1st rounder in Dee Milliner, and a mid rounder in DaQuan Menzie, not to mention top 10 pick Mark Barron and future 1st or 2nd rounder Robert Lester. That secondary was ludicrous in 2011. If you tallied up the production of the top-producing wide receiver from every game, the Bama secondary allowed that collection of players to catch only 500 yards on them. Ridiculous. But when I watched Derek Moye play against them, I saw him WINNING the battle at the line of scrimmage as Dre Kirkpatrick and Dee Milliner tried to jam him, and I saw him creating separation. He had 3 catches for 51 yards in that game but I tallied the potential for 6 catches and 125 yards if he'd only had a more accurate quarterback (the PSU quarterbacks were ridiculously bad). He beat the jam and created separation consistently against as good a secondary on as good a defense as I've ever seen in college football.

It wouldn't shock me if Derek Moye is the guy that emerges in the preseason as the young receiver that the QBs can trust most to execute and be open when they throw the ball to him. He's got an NFL body at 6'4" and 209 lbs, with NFL tangibles having run a 4.44 at his pro day. He's currently got the quickest and most reliable hands and technique for getting off the press.

I happen to wonder if Derek Moye and Rishard Matthews won't be the two players that really separate in the short and long term.

I do believe Jeff Fuller has some significant advantages and all he really has to do to make the roster is show that he can consistently catch the football. Sometimes that never ends up happening, sometimes it does. A few years ago Joe Philbin inherited a tight end from the Dolphins by the name of Donald Lee who couldn't catch a cold and got cut because of it. It was bad with Lee, so bad that when he caught a ball during preseason rather than dropping it, he went to the sidelines and everyone on the team came over to cheer him on for actually catching a routine pass. Somehow he goes to Green Bay under Philbin and suddenly hands aren't an issue.

What Derek Moye will show right away is probably the best ability of any of the four receivers to get off the press. That's my prediction. I watched him closely against Alabama in 2010 and Alabama in 2011. He faced a 1st rounder in Dre Kirkpatrick, a future 1st rounder in Dee Milliner, and a mid rounder in DaQuan Menzie, not to mention top 10 pick Mark Barron and future 1st or 2nd rounder Robert Lester. That secondary was ludicrous in 2011. If you tallied up the production of the top-producing wide receiver from every game, the Bama secondary allowed that collection of players to catch only 500 yards on them. Ridiculous. But when I watched Derek Moye play against them, I saw him WINNING the battle at the line of scrimmage as Dre Kirkpatrick and Dee Milliner tried to jam him, and I saw him creating separation. He had 3 catches for 51 yards in that game but I tallied the potential for 6 catches and 125 yards if he'd only had a more accurate quarterback (the PSU quarterbacks were ridiculously bad). He beat the jam and created separation consistently against as good a secondary on as good a defense as I've ever seen in college football.

It wouldn't shock me if Derek Moye is the guy that emerges in the preseason as the young receiver that the QBs can trust most to execute and be open when they throw the ball to him. He's got an NFL body at 6'4" and 209 lbs, with NFL tangibles having run a 4.44 at his pro day. He's currently got the quickest and most reliable hands and technique for getting off the press.

Did Jeff Fuller start dropping passes in 2011 that he was catching in 2010? His production/stats dropped between those years. Could those drops have anything to do with injuries etc?

Back
Top Bottom