WR Torrey Smith of Maryland | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Torrey Smith of Maryland

LouPhinFan

It's ok to say "I don't know".
Club Member
Reaction score
In all the over hype of the Senior Bowl some are forgetting about the upcoming Combine and all of the underclassmen in the draft. I'm wondering about Maryland WR Torrey Smith as an alternative to Titus Young. What is the concensus on him? Strengths, weaknesses, potential draft spot and what not.

I saw Maryland play once this year and they were run heavy offense but Smith did stand out as both a WR and a KR.

Thoughts? Observations?

He never catches the ball with his hands. Always gets into his body. Maybe he'll work on it before the combine.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Top deep threat receiver on my board. Body catcher who's still a bit raw in his route running, but has the size/speed ratio.. athletic ability...body control.. and character to sneak into the latter part of the 1st round.

Maryland is notorious for putting out some of the sickest athletes in the draft every year.. If Torrey Smith were to reach his full potential, he could be a #1 receiver in the mold of Roddy White... who's also a body catcher.

I haven't had time to catch up on some of these juniors that came out unexpectedly. Torrey Smith and Randall Cobb being the examples. I have a pretty good feel for Tandon Doss though.

I haven't had time to catch up on some of these juniors that came out unexpectedly. Torrey Smith and Randall Cobb being the examples. I have a pretty good feel for Tandon Doss though.

Randall Cobb is known as "little Hines Ward" among die hard and knowledgeable SEC fans who know the game ... they all remember how versatile and tough Hines Ward was for the UGA back in the late 90's in the SEC... Cobb is a slightly smaller version.

Easily one of my favorite prospects in this draft.

Top deep threat receiver on my board. Body catcher who's still a bit raw in his route running, but has the size/speed ratio.. athletic ability...body control.. and character to sneak into the latter part of the 1st round.

Maryland is notorious for putting out some of the sickest athletes in the draft every year.. If Torrey Smith were to reach his full potential, he could be a #1 receiver in the mold of Roddy White... who's also a body catcher.

It sounds like all he needs is better coaching. He can get that while running "9" routes for us next year. LOL. He doesn't need to be the prefect WR for us in his first year.

Interestingly i watched some of his youtube highlights...now assuming i was looking at the right individual..i believe #82 and didn't think he "seemed" that fast certainly not when compare to Young.

Funny moment at about the 30-34 second mark he beats #4 of Utah correct me if i'm wrong but isnt that Sean Smith? lol

[video=youtube;ewtw44y0mzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewtw44y0mzM[/video]

Interestingly i watched some of his youtube highlights...now assuming i was looking at the right individual..i believe #82 and didn't think he "seemed" that fast certainly not when compare to Young.

Funny moment at about the 30-34 second mark he beats #4 of Utah correct me if i'm wrong but isnt that Sean Smith? lol

[video=youtube;ewtw44y0mzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewtw44y0mzM[/video]

No that game was against Rutgers and the DB is David Rowe...

Smith is a lot bigger than Titus Young and he's not going to look as fast... especially when they're not on the same field.

Smith is still raw as a receiver... he just started to come into his own as a receiver this season... kid has tremendous upside. He's the ACC's all time leader in return yardage, but gave up a lot of those duties this year to focus on becoming a better wide receiver.

He's not as fast as Heyward-Bey was, but Smith is a better receiver than DHB was.

Torrey Smith wouldn't have come out this year if he wasn't given a substantial grade from the draft advisory committee.... and they're usually pretty conservative with the grades they give underclassmen because they don't want to mislead them or have a kid declare, only to watch him not get selected as high as he thought...

He's a top 50 lock... and could sneak into the 1st round.

Say Miami trades down and they're looking and Hankerson, Baldwin, Smith. Who do you like as a fit? I assume you'd take Smith over Baldwin given your rankings, but I included him just in case.

No that game was against Rutgers and the DB is David Rowe...

Smith is a lot bigger than Titus Young and he's not going to look as fast... especially when they're not on the same field.

Smith is still raw as a receiver... he just started to come into his own as a receiver this season... kid has tremendous upside. He's the ACC's all time leader in return yardage, but gave up a lot of those duties this year to focus on becoming a better wide receiver.

He's not as fast as Heyward-Bey was, but Smith is a better receiver than DHB was.

Torrey Smith wouldn't have come out this year if he wasn't given a substantial grade from the draft advisory committee.... and they're usually pretty conservative with the grades they give underclassmen because they don't want to mislead them or have a kid declare, only to watch him not get selected as high as he thought...

He's a top 50 lock... and could sneak into the 1st round.

Okay give me an NFL comparison to him? Like a Henderson or Meachem for the Saints perhaps?

Say Miami trades down and they're looking and Hankerson, Baldwin, Smith. Who do you like as a fit? I assume you'd take Smith over Baldwin given your rankings, but I included him just in case.

I like either Baldwin or Torrey Smith as a better "fit" for Miami... but Hankerson is the best receiver of the 3, just doesn't bring the elite speed, or ability to take the top off a defense that the other two have.

Baldwin just doesn't do much in terms of route running...if he measures the 6'5" that he's listed at, he plays the game of football every bit of that height, which isn't a good thing. He doesn't sink his hips at all in and out of breaks, which is why he can't get any seperation... I don't think Baldwin can get seperation against NFL DB's, he's just going to have to use his size.

What I do like about Baldwin is his ability to high point the football, and get behind secondaries deep... however there's some red flags with this kid's attitude too.

Smith also has more upside to develope into something even more than a deep threat...

I think Hankerson goes to the Patriots with the first pick in round 2.... #33 overall.

Okay give me an NFL comparison to him? Like a Henderson or Meachem for the Saints perhaps?

Both good comparisons for Torrey Smith.... I think Henderson/Meachem is the floor for Smith. With Roddy White or Rod Smith (used to play for the Denver Broncos) being his ceiling as an NFL receiver.

I wish I saw more of Baldwin in college. He's just flat out huge. It's hard to tell how fast he is though

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Both good comparisons for Torrey Smith.... I think Henderson/Meachem is the floor for Smith. With Roddy White or Rod Smith (used to play for the Denver Broncos) being his ceiling as an NFL receiver.

Wow strong words! Strong endorsement! I've never seen him play, that is Torrey Smith not Rod Smith play saw him play and from what i think i remember he wasn't a burner. Your comparison of Size to Speed is probably accurate as a fan you can't help but want someone like D.Jackson were his speed is not question on the television and i'm sure not on the field....I want every advantage on the football field including the advantage of a secondary being psychologically beat before the snap is even off why? Because the receiver looks like he warms up against lighting! From what i saw of Torrey Smith he might have top end speed like Ginn...but not starting or intermediate speed...someone like D.Jackson looks fast lined up and as a DB your pointing at the safety to get back another 10 yards on top of the 20!

Back
Top Bottom