WR Torrey Smith of Maryland | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR Torrey Smith of Maryland

Not to get off topic but Slimm what do you see Denarius Moore's stock? #1 in YPC in NCAA.

I've liked Torrey Smith for a while and he's impressed me at every turn.

Not to get off topic but Slimm what do you see Denarius Moore's stock? #1 in YPC in NCAA.

I've liked Torrey Smith for a while and he's impressed me at every turn.

I've raved about Denarius Moore literally all season... one of the most underrated WR's in the country, and one of the best pure deep threats in this draft.

He's torched a lot of good CB prospects... lit Stephon Gilmore up for 228 yards (Gilmore will probably be the #1 CB prospect in 2012).

Moore is tough too... I watched DeMarcus Milliner (freshman CB for Alabama) almost decapitate Moore on a reverse the first offensive series of the game when Bama played Tennessee... tough kid.

It wouldn't surprise me if Moore turns out to be one of the best WR's from this draft class by the time it's all said and done... He could create quite a buzz this week at the NFLPA Game and increase his stock even more... He's a 3rd rounder on my board.

Should have been invited to the Senior Bowl...

Wow strong words! Strong endorsement! I've never seen him play, that is Torrey Smith not Rod Smith play saw him play and from what i think i remember he wasn't a burner. Your comparison of Size to Speed is probably accurate as a fan you can't help but want someone like D.Jackson were his speed is not question on the television and i'm sure not on the field....I want every advantage on the football field including the advantage of a secondary being psychologically beat before the snap is even off why? Because the receiver looks like he warms up against lighting! From what i saw of Torrey Smith he might have top end speed like Ginn...but not starting or intermediate speed...someone like D.Jackson looks fast lined up and as a DB your pointing at the safety to get back another 10 yards on top of the 20!

That's the problem I've always seen with Baldwin... I don't care how fast he is to be honest.

It doesn't really matter unless the DB falls down and lets Baldwin get behind him on a 9 route.

Baldwin just doesn't have any suddeness to him... no explosiveness. Not a threat to get any yards after catch...

You have to create seperation early in your route... you do that with suddeness, explosiveness, sinking your hips in order to avoid rounding off your routes, and knowing how to beat the jam at the line of scrimmage.

Smith is better equipped at all of this than Baldwin, although neither of them could get off Brandon Harris' jam... he shut them both down for the most part.

Smith's hands bother me a lot. When I was playing club basketball, between my 8th grade and 9th grade year, I got to fill in on the club's varsity team, and a couple of the kids didn't think I belonged, so they'd rifle every pass at me - regardless of distance - and I ended up catching a couple with my body. Kind of reminds me how Smith looks catching the football.

That's the problem I've always seen with Baldwin... I don't care how fast he is to be honest.

It doesn't really matter unless the DB falls down and lets Baldwin get behind him on a 9 route.

Baldwin just doesn't have any suddeness to him... no explosiveness. Not a threat to get any yards after catch...

You have to create seperation early in your route... you do that with suddeness, explosiveness, sinking your hips in order to avoid rounding off your routes, and knowing how to beat the jam at the line of scrimmage.

Smith is better equipped at all of this than Baldwin, although neither of them could get off Brandon Harris' jam... he shut them both down for the most part.

Exactly! It still amazes me how someone like Bess/D.Jackson are quick as hell..to me it makes sense.. because they're low to the ground like welker etc..yet someone like Ginn who is not that much Taller/Bigger doesn't have that quickness. It great to have top end speed..but if you dont have that "suddeness" as you call it top end speed doesn't help much...Mainly because lack of "suddeness" allows slower DBs to stay on you.....Not taking away anything from say D.Revis the guys good..but i'm always amazed how he's not flag for illegal contact almost every play..those guys(including cromartie etc) tug and yank constantly...so if you need 20 yards to get to top gear...forget about it...its not happening with DBs pulling on you the entire way. Funny side note i'm always amazed at how little S.Smith uses his hands/body to bully WRs...he tends to lets guys get vertical like he has world class speed to make up...

You wanna beat DBs in our division IMO its not with guys like Torrey Smith that need time to get to that top end speed. As i mention DBs..especially the Jets in our division aren't going to allow you to streak up the field without slowing you down. You need WRs like Young that have that quickness, change of direction in combination with that dangerous 0-100 in a blink of eye. See Cromartie on someone like P. Garcion, hell i would dare to say D.Revis trying to cover D.Jackson would be a tough match-up for him.

It would probably just be easier for you to say "I don't like him."

I think he's fine. I think he's the type of player, though, that gets over drafted. If he were to fall to us in the 3rd or late 2nd - were we to trade back - I'd be fine with him. I see him going in the very early 2nd or late 1st. That understood, I'm not interested in him at that price. Hence, the outstanding factor of note: I think he has a great shot of being over drafted.

Smith's hands bother me a lot. When I was playing club basketball, between my 8th grade and 9th grade year, I got to fill in on the club's varsity team, and a couple of the kids didn't think I belonged, so they'd rifle every pass at me - regardless of distance - and I ended up catching a couple with my body. Kind of reminds me how Smith looks catching the football.

you caught the basketball with your body??? that's some odd stuff...

I think he's fine. I think he's the type of player, though, that gets over drafted. If he were to fall to us in the 3rd or late 2nd - were we to trade back - I'd be fine with him. I see him going in the very early 2nd or late 1st. That understood, I'm not interested in him at that price. Hence, the outstanding factor of note: I think he has a great shot of being over drafted.

That's why the first chance you get, you dunk on the douches. At least that's what I did in my high school basketball days.

you caught the basketball with your body??? that's some odd stuff...

Dude, I was an 8th/9th grade over-achiever type catching a rocket baseball pass - literally, an overhand baseball pass - from Nick Booker (6'5 - went to Davidson) from like 10 ft away.

Dude, I was an 8th/9th grade over-achiever type catching a rocket baseball pass - literally, an overhand baseball pass - from Nick Booker (6'5 - went to Davidson) from like 10 ft away.

lol..so what??? catch the rock bro...ahh i see you said overachiever...

get off the court... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom